Railroad Forums 

• CSX Crew Shot After Attempted Train Robbery

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#223958  by Cowford

:P

#223970  by cifn2

free remote control training? lol how about a free train ride, or a job to get them productive. You have to think about how dangerous the job is, but why of all things a train? Rob the drive up at McDonald's During rush hour lol.

#224610  by roadster

I am surprised that CSX offered an award. 2 years ago when a Buffalo conductor was shot in the back while inspecting his train, CSX local mngrs acused him of shooting himself. But they couldn't find a gun or understand how he could have held it to the back of his shoulder. Reasoning was an attempt to avoid a reportable FRA injury.

#225036  by slchub

Meanwhile I am sure that they will be investigated for carelessness of the safety of themselves or others as well as slowing slowing down velocity and increasing dwell time for that train.

#225280  by Engineer James

Didn't Conrail have a problem with this in the SUBURBS of CHICAGO? Back, when the took, over. My grand dad, I think was once shot at. Not quite sure, scary situation though.

#225287  by cifn2

lol now what would you want from a train.... I guess like everything else attack ambulances, attack fire trucks, attack postal carriers.... if we were on drugs or criminals we would do what we could to make money or steal something.

Not too long ago I heard in WI that a locomotive was shut down and police/k-9 called in due to a suspicious person on board. The Train had came out of Chicago it was the time when those guys had escaped from the jail. Well it ended up not being one of them.

#229760  by Malley

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I wasn't aware of ANY properties, where the crews weren't packing. I always have mine (with a Fla. state CWP, permitting it's concealed carry), and most guys have a "little something" tucked away in the grip (NJ crews excepted). Heck, even the managers are packing out here. As the saying goes, "I'd rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six". Words to live by. I was amazed, that CSX so "generously" offered up a G-note. I didn't think they actually put that much value, on their employees lives...... :P
That is maybe surprising, tho' I surely don't have a problem with it. The CSX main down by our camp is mighty lonely country if you have to get off and walk the train.
A buddy, when queried about why he carries a gun when hiking, responded 'Snakes and a**holes...' Same would certainly be true for traincrew.
Tho', truth be told, in this day and age you are likely safer in the middle of nowhere than the middle of somewhere.
Best,
Malley

#229950  by CSX Conductor

Always keep a fusee in your pocket as well......flicking a burning fusee in someone's direction might do some harm as well.

#230099  by cifn2

ah nice one csx!

#230393  by CSX Conductor

It's true....even animals will be scared of the burning sulphur when you're walking your train in the middle of the woods. :wink:

#230512  by cifn2

ya maybe some, but a snake might be provoked lol

#230935  by ToledoTerminalRy

and it would be hard to carry a fusee a gun and your lamp with your gloves on :wink:

#255271  by MistahQ

the conductor on that train is actually a friend of mine, he is alright but not yet returned to work.
the rule now is do NOT get off the train, there was a train that had actually gotten flagged to a stop around the atl area a couple weeks ago, as the engineer was on with the dispatcher people came out the bushes pulling pins and cutting air.

#255487  by charlie6017

MistahQ wrote:.........there was a train that had actually gotten flagged to a stop around the atl area a couple weeks ago, as the engineer was on with the dispatcher people came out the bushes pulling pins and cutting air.
Exactly a good reason to be packing if some dork pulls pins and cuts air to stop a train. Every crew member ought to have something on him for his protection!

#255524  by gprimr1

I live in Baltimore and I've seen some of the areas the train goes through and I fully support the idea of the crew packing.