Railroad Forums 

• Bringing LV equipment to Victor Rail Days...

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#497165  by Lehighton_Man

thanks otto. i wish to atleast see a old beast, even though conrail removed her ALCo internals, give that 567 a few years and im sure she'll start to act like an ALCo once again :D
Cheers.
Sean

#497421  by Otto Vondrak

You should have gotten an email this morning- my contact says no response from you yet. You complained of no response from us, so... get to it! :-) You gotta be in it to win it!

-otto-

#497668  by Lehighton_Man

Yes, i did recieve a response, thank you.
as a short n' sweet answer, i'll look into it.
I dont know what i'm doing on saturday, and tuesday nights are out for me. because when my parents get home from work, they dont want to go out anymore, so saturdays are the only logical choice.
Thanks again otto.
Cheers.
Sean

#497909  by Otto Vondrak

Courtesy dictates that you would at least respond to the email that you complained you never got in the first place. Please take a moment and let the sender know you got the email. Thank you.

-otto-

#500487  by Matt Langworthy

Otto Vondrak wrote:Matt, I sentence you to eight hours of mandatory remedial calendar safety training. :-)
No kidding! I could use it...

#510227  by nessman

*Ahem*... LV211 is not a "true" LV locomotive in that it was kit-bashed by Conrail. The long hood was raised to accomodate the ex-EL EMD engine, complete with dual EMD exhaust stacks and an EMD control stand. The rivet counters would not approve.

I demand that it be repainted in CR Blue and renumbered as CR 9920!

#510267  by JhnZ33

nessman wrote:The rivet counters would not approve.
Fortunately, I'm not a rivet counter. :wink:

JP

#510313  by scottychaos

nessman wrote:*Ahem*... LV211 is not a "true" LV locomotive in that it was kit-bashed by Conrail. The long hood was raised to accomodate the ex-EL EMD engine, complete with dual EMD exhaust stacks and an EMD control stand. The rivet counters would not approve.
IMO, thats irrelevant..its still very much a "true" LV engine..
any locomotive that continues to see service after it leaves one railroad for another continues to get modifications..

its the same old conundrum..if you take a Ford Mustang and put a Chevy engine in it, is it still a Ford Mustang?
I would say yes...some might say no...its a matter of opinion, not a matter of fact.

Some say 211 shouldnt be considered an Alco anymore either because of that EMD engine under the hood..I disagree with that too..
An Alco with an EMD engine is still an Alco.

I consider 211 to be very much a "true" LV engine, and still an Alco...
an engine swap isnt a big enough change to alter the entire identity of the locomotive..

Now something like a slug on the other hand, with a cut down carbody..to me, that makes it a totally different engine..

Technically a few of the LV RS11's still "exist" in the form of MT4 slugs:

http://www.trainweb.org/gggrs/LVslug.html

but I wouldnt call those actual, surviving LV RS11's...
to me, no LV RS11's exist anymore...just parts of them.

its all very subjective..

Scot

#510467  by BR&P

Maybe we could bring an ex-LV slug to Victor! ;-)

#510556  by nessman

Looking at the list of surviving LV locomotives, there are still a few that are in use in upstate NY. They would require LV paint - but going back to what BR&P said - the public won't care. I'm sure people will be thrilled to have the FGLK stuff running the line for the festivities.

#510714  by Otto Vondrak

nessman wrote:*Ahem*... LV211 is not a "true" LV locomotive in that it was kit-bashed by Conrail. The long hood was raised to accomodate the ex-EL EMD engine, complete with dual EMD exhaust stacks and an EMD control stand. The rivet counters would not approve.
AFAIK the long hood was not raised... it does not have the expected "hump" that was seen on other Juniata/DeWiit rebuilds.

http://rgvrrm.org/about/railroad/lv211/restoration.htm

And of course, the engine was built with a high short hood, which is what makes 211 "special." Of course 211 is no longer "as-built" for the LV... but I think we'll keep the LV paint for a few years longer! ;-)

-otto-

#510813  by RS112556

Not a big deal to me since I love the 211 and having it so close by but, is there a new paint job in it's future? She's a-looking a little faded :-D
Jim McC.

#510818  by Otto Vondrak

Jim, I can offer a few options- come on out some weekend... a day with a little wax and our power polisher does wonders. Or you can also help us out with a donation for her upkeep if you can't make it out in person. But as far as I know, she was painted with DuPoint IMRON paint, so a new paint job probably isn't planned for many years.

-otto-
RGVRRM Member

#510954  by lvrr325

while you're at it, suggest the LVRR historical society there solicit the Buffalo Southern to donate to them the former South Buffalo Alco switcher who's pictures can be found on this thread - if they haven't cut it up yet - since seems to me that one, or maybe the one in their green paint, is a former LV unit. And the plan when they moved them was to cut them up.

#511045  by TB Diamond

Otto:

The 211 was not "as built' for the LVRR. The unit was received from the PRR second hand.