Railroad Forums 

• Bringing LV equipment to Victor Rail Days...

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#511108  by Otto Vondrak

TB Diamond wrote:Otto:The 211 was not "as built' for the LVRR. The unit was received from the PRR second hand.
Yes, I know that. What I was trying to communicate was that while the unit may not be "as-built" (ie, as it emerged from Schenectady for PRR, and as it arrived on the LV property in 1970)... it still has strong heritage as a unique LV unit.

-otto-

#512726  by Lehighton_Man

lvrr325 wrote:while you're at it, suggest the LVRR historical society there solicit the Buffalo Southern to donate to them the former South Buffalo Alco switcher who's pictures can be found on this thread - if they haven't cut it up yet - since seems to me that one, or maybe the one in their green paint, is a former LV unit. And the plan when they moved them was to cut them up.
Cant. Units dead in Buffalo.
actually, they have a few former LV S units. The one green Buf. Southern i know of, is dead, it has a cracked block. to get it rolling, we'd have to speed couple it haha.
Cheers.
Sean

#512950  by scottychaos

Lehighton_Man wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:while you're at it, suggest the LVRR historical society there solicit the Buffalo Southern to donate to them the former South Buffalo Alco switcher who's pictures can be found on this thread - if they haven't cut it up yet - since seems to me that one, or maybe the one in their green paint, is a former LV unit. And the plan when they moved them was to cut them up.
Cant. Units dead in Buffalo.
actually, they have a few former LV S units. The one green Buf. Southern i know of, is dead, it has a cracked block. to get it rolling, we'd have to speed couple it haha.
Cheers.
Sean
I think LVRR325 was suggesting seeing if the BSOR might donate or sell the unit to the LVRR historical society..

The fact that an engine is not currently operating is irrelevant..
probably 90% of locos that get donated or sold to museums do not arrive at the museum under their own power..

it would need the right bearings and brakes to move by rail, but a non-operating prime mover is basically a non-issue..

and yes, Buffalo Southern has two LV units:

LV 151 - BSOR 107 is the one with the cracked block.
LV 165 - BSOR 105 is currently operating.

Scot
 #513005  by Matt Langworthy

Even if an operating S-2 was sent to FGLK, it would still be moved dead in tow... because LV's S units have no MU equipment. Nor do they have appropriate cab signals to move on a Class 1 railroad under their power.

#513515  by Lehighton_Man

hmm
thats an idea. But, sadly to say, if i asked Dave, he'd say we cant, we dont have enough money..
It would be nice to start a project called the "friends of the Lehigh Valley ALCo S2" as a money drive to purchase a newer V6 251 for it. now, even if we were to buy the unit, get it to shortsville, slap a new V6 251 into it and make it move under its own power, question is: where would we store it..? Im sure the FGLK might store it in Geneva, but at a cost. i know we couldnt build a shop building of some-sorts on our property because "it would cost too much". and the whole roundhouse idea was shot dead by everybody, so what to do?
its an idea i'll ponder on Scotty.
Thanks for the idea!
Cheers.
Sean

#513645  by GOLDEN-ARM

Why the hell would you want to purchase a LV S-2, then put a 251 in it?!?!?! Something wrong with a 539?!?!?!?! Let's just put some gen-set's in one, Blombergs and air conditioning, and get it over with already............. :( (could it be that lehighton man is really juniata man?......... :P )

#513786  by scottychaos

Wasnt Mendon considering a railroad display for their linear park?
(which is directly on the LV mainline)

and what are the future plans for the two cabooses in Manchester?
if a caboose is going to be displayed somewhere, why not display an alco switcher next to it?

just a thought..

yes I know..it always comes down to money.
but its been done before! :wink:

Scot

#514109  by GOLDEN-ARM

Shhhh, Otto. He might want to replace the 567 with a 645....... :P

#514708  by Lehighton_Man

HAH!
nah.
I say 251 Golden Arm because those old Winton 539s are VERY hard to come by operating these days, where as you could go up to canada and buy a used 251 from a BC, or CN M420W and slap it into a S2. Yes, the sound of a running 539 would be nice, but it all comes down to money, and availiblity of working parts. Its possible to hunt down original 539 parts and mix-match to create a running 539, but you'd need some-one who has worked with 539s for a LONG time to rebuild one.
Yes, Otto, i would like to try to get my hands dirty. I'll set some time up with my parents in the weeks to come, to see if any of their plans will NOT override mine. But, you have to admit, a running S2, next to a RS3m, now that would be pretty cool.
How-about-this otto.
once this whole S2 thing gets done(if ever..) we mate the 2 in Industry NY, and ask the LA&L if we can give the 2 a workout. Im pretty sure Lehigh Fans would Flock to see a LA&L train pulled by a ancient S2 and RS3m
As for that 645 Golden arm, i think they are better in the EL SD45s.. hehe :-D
Cheers. :wink:
Sean

#514774  by nessman

The LAL already has an S2 and an RS-1 in service - mainly in yard service - although the RS-1 is seen on the main once in a while.

#514788  by BR&P

Sean, if ya got the money to BUY the unit, got the money to BUY a 251 and put it in, got the money to put roller bearing trucks under it, got the money to address brakes, glazing and a whole host of other issues, you're going to worry about a few bucks to STORE the thing?

Also, given the recent demand for 251 ALCO engines and parts for oil service applications, I dare say you could actually get a 539 for far less than a 251.

Lastly, if I'm not mistaken, you don't just "slap it in". I believe there are significant differences in the two blocks and an S2 would require quite a bit of work and expense to allow it to accept a 251, possibly even requiring a different hood. Is anybody out there conversant with the dimensions involved and able to support or contradict this?

You sound like you have a lot of enthusiasm but you really need to take those guys up on their offer to work on the real thing - not just once, but long-term. You will find there is a huge difference between "fan-dom" and the real thing. Get some experience and maybe some of your ideas will be a bit more realistic.

#514937  by Nova55

Last I looked McIntosh & Seymor made the 539s..

The only thing with a V6 251 is the S5/6 anyway. M420s have V12s. There..Bigger.

#516047  by Otto Vondrak

BR&P wrote:You sound like you have a lot of enthusiasm but you really need to take those guys up on their offer to work on the real thing - not just once, but long-term. You will find there is a huge difference between "fan-dom" and the real thing. Get some experience and maybe some of your ideas will be a bit more realistic.
Agreed. Enough with the fantasies for now. Get some experience under your belt. Stop saying "we" and "they" (cousins of "them") and start thinking "I" and you'll get a lot farther.

-otto-

#522871  by TB Diamond

Received an email this date from a person residing in upstate New York relating that Victor Rail Days has been pushed back to 2009. Reason given was that FGLR did not want to operate passenger equipment on the former LVRR until some track improvements were accomplished.

Further information/confirmation appreciated.