Railroad Forums 

• DO YOU KNOW WHERE THESE HACKS ARE AT ?

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#190879  by scottychaos

caboose9 wrote:Howdy,

How about this abused beauty?

http://cencalrails.railfan.net/lvunknown.html .

Roger
ouch!
looks like a playroom for a 10 year old girl! :(

there must be some way to find out her LV number..
if it went to Conrail, it would have the LV number as a small stencil.
if the "Easter Bunny" paintscheme was simply painted over CR blue, the raised relief of that stencil might still be visable..
I will see if I can track down Kevin Caldwell and see if he can check it out!

Scot

#191606  by GOLDEN-ARM

Perhaps the person who took the photos can be contacted. If the hack is an LV original, it should have the "as built" number cast into the side of the truck frames. The Valley was a good road for this form of equipment branding, and it might still be sitting on those original trucks. Look on the left side of each frame, above the opening that is adjacent to the bearing box. No need to try to work those "off angled" views, trying to scope out remains of lettering, under multiple old paint jobs. Just walk right up, and read the sides of the trucks. Regards :-D

#191633  by caboose9

GOLDEN-ARM said, "It should have the "as built" number cast into the side of the truck frames. The Valley was a good road for this form of equipment branding and it might be sitting on those trucks. Look on the left side of each frame, above the opening that is adjacent to the bearing box. No need to try to work those "off angled" views, trying to scope out remains of lettering, under multiple old paint jobs. Just walk right up, and read the sides of the trucks."

Hi,

I have looked at a score of LV cabooses but have not seen one with the number cast into the trucks. The LVRR initials, yes, the road number, no.

How about a photo of this cast number on a LV hack truck?

Thanks, Roger
 #191732  by caboose9

GOLDEN-ARM said, "It should have the "as built number" cast into the truck frames."

Caboose9 said, "How about a photo of the car number cast into a caboose truck?"

Howdy,

Shy of a photo, how many listers have seen caboose road numbers cast into the trucks?

Thanks, Roger

#191794  by BR&P

Initials? Yes - very common.

Road number? Never in my experience. But if someone can show otherwise I'll look and learn.

#191983  by Drawhead

I don't recall seeing any numbers cast into the truck frames either,other than the journal size numbers and weight numbers.When i bought my LV cab from Renovo Pa. back in February of 1995 about 25 LV cabs were there.I remember seeing the LVRR cast into some of the trucks on some of the cabs.The majority of the LV cabs there including mine had been retrucked with replacement trucks from various other pre Conrail railroads.Mine unfortunately has two different mismatched trucks with PRR on one set,so i can't run out in the back yard to verify this for sure as there not original LVRR trucks.A couple years back i went over to Canton, Ohio to check on that LV caboose.She retains both of her original LVRR marked trucks and i don't really recall then seeing any other numbers marked on her trucks.
GOLDEN-ARM, are the numbers that you are refering to actually cast in raised numbers or are they possibly stamped into that ground flat area on the face of the top left sideframe?If so,i' m only about a 1 1/2 hours drive from Canton and it might be worth taking a trip over there again to see if i can find that cabs number if it's on the trucks.

#192157  by Drawhead

Well, i ran over to Canton, Ohio yesterday afternoon to get a better look at the trucks on that LV caboose.All that is on them as far as cast letters or numbers is: The top left side of the sideframes had a R8 then LVRR, on the top right side was 5 X 9 wich must be the journal side.On the bottom left there was nothing and on the bottom right in bold raised letters was BIRDSBORO i presume for the truck manufacturer? I also looked again at the mismatched set of trucks under my caboose and they basically just have the Gould / Barber Bettendorf name on them.The PRR truck under one side has PRR V-13114 7624 on the top left and on the top right 6-66 WT 5559 5 1/2 X 10 none of those numbers seem to indicate the former PRR caboose it once belonged to as i found a stenciled white painted Conrail number 23088 on the center middle part of the truck frame.That number would indicate is was from former Pennsy cab N5C #478028 Both mismatched trucks on mine do have a small flat pc. of steel maybe 1 1/2" wide X 7" long tackwelded to the top right side of each sideframe that have some letters and numbers stamped into wich don't really make sense.

#192279  by caboose9

GOLDEN-ARM said, "No need to try to work those "off angled" views, trying to scope out remains of lettering, under multiple old paint jobs. Just walk right up, and read the sides of the trucks."

Hi G-A,

Since no photos of LV truck frames were forthcoming, how about giving us the location of a LV caboose or 2 that have the road numbers cast (or stamped?) on the truck frames?

Then someone can take photos to share with the group.

Thanks, Roger

#192554  by scottychaos

Here are some pictures from Fritz. (drawhead)
He went and checked out the mystery Canton, Ohio caboose for us.
photographed the trucks! has "LVRR" stamped on it, but no number.

Fritz, please add any comments!
and thanks for the pics! :P

Fritz owns his own LV caboose!
very cool..

Scot
 #192629  by SRS125

caboose9 wrote:GOLDEN-ARM said, "It should have the "as built number" cast into the truck frames."

Caboose9 said, "How about a photo of the car number cast into a caboose truck?"

Howdy,

Shy of a photo, how many listers have seen caboose road numbers cast into the trucks?

Thanks, Roger
I have seen numbers and reporting marks stenciled on the sides of truck frames but never cast on them

#192883  by Drawhead

Scot,
Thank's for posting the pictures! I'm not very good at doing stuff on the computor.Bad enough it takes me forever to type something.Anyhow i was just looking over your caboose survivor list and noticed in the builder date info it mentions the following cab numbers wich had the extra left end window added.Well the Canton caboose would fall into that catagory as it had that left end widow added! As per your list of cabs with left windows added they are:

95004, 95007, 95036, 95037, 95038, 95050, 95055, 95056, 95059, 95064, 95065, 95073, 95075, 95077, 95084, 95090, 95092.

We can then narrow that list down eliminating the following cabs as they are survivors on your list:

95036, 95037, 95038, 95050, 95065, 95073.

After that we can eliminate the following cabs that are listed on the LV cab disposition list by John Koehler and Mark Landgraf

95055 seen smashed and white lined 9-81 at Cressona Pa.
95064 scrapped
95077 seen smashed in gondola 9-81 at Cressona Pa.
95090 seen smashed & burned 9-81 at Cressona Pa.

Would it then be safe to say that the Canton Ohio LV caboose could be narrowed down to one of the remaining 7 cabooses not accounted for wich are the:

95004, 95007, 95056, 95059, 95075, 95084, 95092.

If so, being one of those 7 certainly gets us a wee bit closer to finding out wich one she is.Does anyone else have any info on those 7 LV cabooses in question to help narrow our attempts to find out wich one she may be? If not the only likely way may be, is by waiting until the owner decides to repaint the thing and who knows when that might be! Then ask him or help him to sand the small area above the doors where the LV number was stenciled and painted on behind the Conrail number.I did it to mine the other day and lo and behold it was there under the Conrail number and blue paint.If anyone is interested ask Scot i sent him some pics of the number before and after sanding above the door.When i was at Canton on Dec. 4th while standing on the platform i looked in vain trying to see a old number above the door showing thru even the Conrail one but could see nothing but fairly new red paint!
 #192964  by caboose9

Hi,

Where does Metro North store their cabooses when not in use?

Does anyone know if Metro North still has LV 95086/MNC 405?

How many, and what, other cabooses does Metro North have?

Thanks, Roger

Hi,

I'm still looking/hoping for an answer to 1, 2, or all of the above questions.

Anyone?

Thanks, Roger
 #192965  by caboose9

Hi,

I wonder if any of the NY list members can supply more information on the LV ice cream stand caboose in Groton? It would be good to get an address, not to mention the road number!

How about the address/location of the LV caboose reported as "somewhere in or near Pharsalia" as well as confirmation of its LV &/or CR number?

Thanks, Roger
 #192971  by scottychaos

caboose9 wrote:Hi,

I wonder if any of the NY list members can supply more information on the LV ice cream stand caboose in Groton? It would be good to get an address, not to mention the road number!

Thanks, Roger
I just sent Frank a note..
im sure he will remember what the number was..
I will report back what I find out.

Scot