Railroad Forums 

• DO YOU KNOW WHERE THESE HACKS ARE AT ?

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#158027  by GOLDEN-ARM

I am wondering if anyone has specific info, on the whereabouts, or final dispositions, of the following four Lehigh Valley cabooses. I am searching for LV 95050, LV 95032, LV 95085 AND THE LV 95140. I am interested in purchasing one, or all of these hacks, if they still exist, and are available. Does anyone out there have the "FINAL-WORD" on the fate of these four ? Thanks in advance, for any input. Regards...... :wink:

#158063  by scottychaos

95050, the very first LV "northeastern" style caboose built,
belongs to the WNYRHS, it is located in Hamburg, NY.
unrestored so far.

http://www.trainweb.org/wnyrhs/cabeeseF ... tm#lv95050

95032 is in Winslow, NJ.
"as CR 18696, Southern Railroad of New Jersey Yard, Rich Jahn, owner"

No disposition info for 95085 or 95140.
most likely scrapped, although its possible they just havent been "found" yet..

LV Surviving Cabooses:
http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... umber.html

Scot

#158099  by GOLDEN-ARM

Thanks for those two, Scott. As you can see, I am looking for the first, last, a white one and the Bicentennial one, for restoration/donation purposes. I am going to guess Rich got the '32 for this same reason. The first one is another keeper, as well as the last, in my opinion. The Bicentennial one also would look nice, restored to that color scheme, and displayed. I am trying to make it happen, if any are still available, from those 4. Thanks again :-D Regards :wink:

#158157  by scottychaos

doing some research..google is our best friend.

95085 and 95140 both made it into Conrail.

LV 95085 - CR 18666
LV 95140 - CR 18686

that might help find them, if they still exist..

18666 still existed in 1996!
in Conway, PA
http://www.hebners.net/CR/crN5G.html

If it still existed in 1996, the odds are good it still exists today!
just have to find it..
I will pop a question on the PA forum about it ..

Scot

#158709  by Drawhead

The first and last,white or bicentennial LV cabs might have had a bit more fame for those specific reasons but any available LV cab that may be for sale that can be bought or rescued from despair should be considered as they all brought up the rear on those great Lehigh Valley trains.Back in 1995 for $4000.00 you could have had your pick of the litter of the 24 LV cabs that were for sale at Renovo Pa.Of those 24 sitting in a sea of 80 total blue Conrail cabooses the 95050 the LV's first was there along with the 95065 the LV cab exhibited at the 1939 Worlds Fair.At that time when i purchased my LV cab i had know idea of the history behind those two cabs and could have bought either one but didn't.Trying to choose a cab out of 80 was rather overwelming and was like being at a used caboose car lot! Buying a cab and owning a cab can be quite the undertaking too as the moving and preperations alone are no easy task along with the upkeep and continued maintenance involved.Many people have great dreams and plans with good intentions for cabs but many fall quickly into a state of disrepair from the lack of needed care and lack of $$ and then by the time the owner realizes it the damage is done.I'm sure there are still a few old plain jane LV cabs out there to be found for sale or the taking wich were still part of the Valley! Good luck in finding one,any ought to be considered a keeper.

#158712  by GOLDEN-ARM

If I had any plans of remaining in one spot, for any length of time, back in the 80's and early 90's, I would have bought one, while I was working for Conrail. We would have paid the price, but I could have had it moved, for free, and possibly stored, short term, at any yard. There are quite a few LV hacks, already saved, out there, this is why I was looking for the "special ones" (yes, I know, they were all special), but how many red cabooses can you look at ? A white one, or Bicentennial one, those were very rare. The railroad stores them outdoors, with minimal maintenance, so once it is correctly restored, it will keep for quite a while, requiring a bath occasionaly, and a little tlc. I agree, it's a big project, but it's no big deal, for this Valley fan. I want to restore, and then loan it to a museum, or historical society, for others to enjoy. That's the real fun of a caboose, sharing it, with others. Regards :wink:

#158730  by Drawhead

Now that's the old LV spirit! we need more folks like you out there! maybe the 95085 will turn up soon and can be bought.Got one picture of her in the red,white and blue paint scheme.If she was around up to 1996 she's probably out there hiding somewhere!It's amazing how some of these cabooses get moved around so many times after being bought.I'd be happy if my cab was just red with the yellow stripe with her A prefix and number and black LV diamond.That would suite me just fine on mine.I'm still looking at that Conrail blue on her! Regardless there all LV, it's just in the paint that makes them different and unique.
 #161256  by geep39

There are two LV cabooses at Milan, PA, at the station along the main line to Sayre. The 96085 may be one of them, unless someone knows otherwise. The depot and cabooses are owned by an ARHS member who restored the station and had one of the cabooses painted in the Tuscan-with-yellow stripe scheme. The other is in Conrail blue. The guy purchased at least one of them from Renovo, and relates that Daily Express moved it, and they were following it, and couldn't keep up! I wonder if it ever saw 80 mph on the LV. It sure saw it on Interstate 80!

#161259  by GOLDEN-ARM

I guarantee it ran 80, between Buffalo, and Sayre, and if was run out of Oak Island, I know Tony Jules had her up that fast, coming eastbound, off the Hill. There were some Highball Artists, running the Valley, right up until the end, and you could regularly watch the boys running the trains, as fast as they could go, at several spots around the system. At high speed, those low spots in the joints, aren't even touched by the wheels, they just fly across the dips. Those trucks are vibrating so fast, they looked like they would fly apart, but it happened so quickly, the motions didn't have time to be transfered up to the locos, or cars, which looked like they were standing still. From 15 to 30 MPH, the whole train looked like it was going to rock and roll, right off the rails, but the faster they got them running, the smoother the ride ! Probably a terrifying ride, for those poor souls, in the hack, but the guys on the engine never felt a thing ! Thanks for the info, and I will try to dig up that cab number, that you mentioned. Regards :wink:

#161263  by LCJ

Wow! A name from the past -- Tony Jules! When I was coordinating student engineers on the old CR Eastern Region ('85 - '86), Tony was one of my "go to" guys for OJT engineers who would ALWAYS give students time behind the throttle.

I guess I never knew he was former LV.

I wonder how he is these days.

#161327  by GOLDEN-ARM

Sadly, Tony passed away, a short while ago. He was probably the best OJT instructor, I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. He was a Valley man, all right, and as a matter of fact, he was the Oak Island Roundhouse foreman, for quite a few years. I met him there, in the early 70's, and he showed me how the Valley got rid of the trash, and scrap that accumulated, at the diesel house. The trick was, to load it all into a Valley gon, and "NO-BILL" it to Buffalo. Just have the yard crew place it near the end of a westbound train, a few cars ahead of the hack, after the train list was made up, and Presto, no more trash ! Tony was also a regular fixture, at the Claremont terminal area, as well as a "Highball-Artist", with the White Elephants. Tony told me the measure of a good engineer, was the amount of sand he could deposit onto the nose, out of the sand filler, of the ever bouncing ALCO C-628's. A HUGE exageration, to be sure. Tony was the greatest engineer I have known, and never an unkind word did I hear, from his mouth, about anyone. The amount of knowledge, he shared with me, and the stories he told me, won't ever be forgotten. If you know Tony, then you also must know Steve Bonscher, a CNJ guy. Another great OJT instructor, he to just passed away, and I could also relate 100 great things about him, his skills, and the stories he shared. It's depressing to run down the list, mentally, of lost brothers. :(

#161345  by LCJ

Steve was another "go to" guy who was always willing to take students and train them well. I couldn't have done my job without people like him amd Tony.

I feel mortality creeping up on me, Dave.

#161347  by scottychaos

we already know the numbers for the two in Milan:

Scot

#161349  by GOLDEN-ARM

It's kind of scarey, thinking of the ever growing list, of those who came before us, that are gone. My LC in Houston died a couple of years ago, and he was just married. A young guy (between my age, and yours), he was fine one day, dead the next. We all know someone who worked 40, maybe 50 years, retired, and was dead within months. Some guys never made it to the first retirement check. I guess you know John Gower died, right in the bed, of the Selkirk YMCA. I rode qualifying trip with him, on the way up, next day, he was gone. They do seem to go faster, and hit a little "closer to home", as the time goes by, don't they ? I could name more than 10 guys, from Jersey, that I know of, who died on the job, or immediately after leaving it. It DOES get depressing sometimes. The only thing disappearing faster than the people I knew, are the Valley hacks. Where are they all at ? (that should keep the moderators off my back :-D )
Last edited by GOLDEN-ARM on Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#161350  by GOLDEN-ARM

Thanks there, LV Scot. Two more I won't have to try to GOOGLE my life away, over. Don't seem to be getting any closer to the Bicentennial one, or the last one, though. Probably parts on my truck, now. Seems like someone would have recorded their demise, if that was in fact, what happened to them. On a different note, did you see the Baldwin VO-1000 diesel engine for sale, on eBay ? Look in the Baldwin forum, for details ! Regards :wink: