• NS H-02 - sightings and reports

  • Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

  • 3061 posts
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 205

  by washingtonsecondary
 
Caboose is in its usual spot in the Dover Yard today.
  by Railjourner
 
HI, I was just wondering if someone could explain the significance of the train number? In this case H-02 (btw I saw a NS gp38 backing into BASF in Washington around 2ish today). Do all trains have them? Are they issued by the dispatchers or FRA? Does the same train number exist for any train operating between two points ie Allentown and Dover kind of like an airline flight number? Do the dispatchers and conductors use this number to identify the train when talking on the radio? How do you find out what a train's number is? Thanks guys.
  by washingtonsecondary
 
Railjourner wrote:HI, I was just wondering if someone could explain the significance of the train number? In this case H-02 (btw I saw a NS gp38 backing into BASF in Washington around 2ish today). Do all trains have them? Are they issued by the dispatchers or FRA? Does the same train number exist for any train operating between two points ie Allentown and Dover kind of like an airline flight number? Do the dispatchers and conductors use this number to identify the train when talking on the radio? How do you find out what a train's number is? Thanks guys.
The number is unique to the crew. The train you saw at BASF was H65.
  by nick11a
 
washingtonsecondary wrote:
Railjourner wrote:HI, I was just wondering if someone could explain the significance of the train number? In this case H-02 (btw I saw a NS gp38 backing into BASF in Washington around 2ish today). Do all trains have them? Are they issued by the dispatchers or FRA? Does the same train number exist for any train operating between two points ie Allentown and Dover kind of like an airline flight number? Do the dispatchers and conductors use this number to identify the train when talking on the radio? How do you find out what a train's number is? Thanks guys.
The number is unique to the crew. The train you saw at BASF was H65.
And there from Allentown.

  by jprez1963
 
SAW HO-2 STOPPED JUST WEST OF HACKETTSTOWN HEADING TOWARD WASHINGTON WITH 3 ENGINES AND ABOUT 30 CARS. IT HAD 5355 AND 5354 (BOTH GP38-2 I BELIEVE) FOLLOWED BY A HIGH NOSED SD40-2 3260.

  by washingtonsecondary
 
He had a six axle east of Washington? Wow. Thats really rare.

  by nick11a
 
washingtonsecondary wrote:He had a six axle east of Washington? Wow. Thats really rare.
Yeah, I'll say.

  by General
 
The high hood SD40-2 SOU 3260 has been in Dover since friday evening.

  by washingtonsecondary
 
What was it brought up and used for. I thought 6 axels in dover was a no-no.

  by njt4172
 
washingtonsecondary wrote:What was it brought up and used for. I thought 6 axels in dover was a no-no.
I don't know NJT's official rules on 6 axle engines in Dover.... I believe they might be banned, but I am not certain... I saw a high nose Sd40-2 in Dover a few years ago, but it wasn't there long....


Steve

  by mountie17
 
Saw H-02 on the M&E loop in Morristown today (2/24/06) around 1:30ish. Consist was the two GP38-2s back to back on the west end with two tanks, two box's, and the caboose.

  by washingtonsecondary
 
Saw him late yesterday returning from Hackettstown with the following consist:

Caboose Leading (yes leading) 3 cars-the 2 GP 38's-and 2 box cars behind the engines. I'm guessing he left washington this way and worked M&M's. I've never seen a road or local train run this way, it made for an intresting site.
  by jmchitvt
 
Railjourner - NS assigns the wayfreight number - "H" for Harrisburg Division - then a unique # to the home terminal for each job - CR used
WPAL and WPDO before the buyout - "W" for wayfreight, "P" for Philadelphia - then the origin station code - AL=Allentown - DO=Dover - two digit origin job # - WPAL-18, Allentown-usually Washington, Dover on Sundays, WPDO-61, WPDO-62 when there was a day and night "Dover Drill".

Hope this helps.
  by Railjourner
 
jmchitvt wrote:Railjourner - NS assigns the wayfreight number - "H" for Harrisburg Division - then a unique # to the home terminal for each job - CR used
WPAL and WPDO before the buyout - "W" for wayfreight, "P" for Philadelphia - then the origin station code - AL=Allentown - DO=Dover - two digit origin job # - WPAL-18, Allentown-usually Washington, Dover on Sundays, WPDO-61, WPDO-62 when there was a day and night "Dover Drill".

Hope this helps.
Yes, thank you this helps very much. After reading all the reference to various train ID numbers on this thread I became curious. Wasn't able to find much on my own I searched the net and the best I could determine at that point was that the first letter was for the division the train was operating in and the number had something to do with its direction of travel. Even number for north or east and odd for south or west. Much better informed now thanks.

  by General
 
washingtonsecondary wrote:Saw him late yesterday returning from Hackettstown with the following consist:

Caboose Leading (yes leading) 3 cars-the 2 GP 38's-and 2 box cars behind the engines. I'm guessing he left washington this way and worked M&M's. I've never seen a road or local train run this way, it made for an intresting site.
Sounds like the usual H02 BUFFoonery. I took some H02 photos on friday. The H02 worked the Gladstone, then went east of Summit, ran around and headed west to Morristown with the two GP38-2's, a corn syrup tank, a white tank, two box cars, and the Conrail caboose. From Morristown, the H02 headed west. During the evening, the GP38-2's were in Dover with the caboose and there were no freight cars in the yard. Here is someones of the H02 in Morristown.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=300136
While at Morristown there were a lot of scowling people taking pictures. Is it really that bad seeing the H02? One of the disgruntled photographers drove around in a VW van, which is probably the only one of its kind in this country, so that was a sight to see.
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 205