Railroad Forums 

• NS H-02 - sightings and reports

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#218603  by RS115

I'm curious about the NS apparently now routine practice of fueling at Morristown on the M&E Rwy. When did this start and where did it used to be done? The day I observed it there was both the fuel tanker and a mobile mechanical department truck there so I presume they also use the opportunity to do a little running inspection/maintenance.

Does anyone know if M&E itself now fuels this way? There used to be underground tanks and pumps at Morristown for both diesel and gas (the gas one was an antique handcrank) but I believe they were removed several years ago (at least the pumps disappeared - hope someone saved the gas one it was a real collector's item).

#218623  by nick11a

General wrote:
washingtonsecondary wrote:Saw him late yesterday returning from Hackettstown with the following consist:

Caboose Leading (yes leading) 3 cars-the 2 GP 38's-and 2 box cars behind the engines. I'm guessing he left washington this way and worked M&M's. I've never seen a road or local train run this way, it made for an intresting site.
Sounds like the usual H02 BUFFoonery. I took some H02 photos on friday. The H02 worked the Gladstone, then went east of Summit, ran around and headed west to Morristown with the two GP38-2's, a corn syrup tank, a white tank, two box cars, and the Conrail caboose. From Morristown, the H02 headed west. During the evening, the GP38-2's were in Dover with the caboose and there were no freight cars in the yard. Here is someones of the H02 in Morristown.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=300136
While at Morristown there were a lot of scowling people taking pictures. Is it really that bad seeing the H02? One of the disgruntled photographers drove around in a VW van, which is probably the only one of its kind in this country, so that was a sight to see.
Well, I wasn't one of the "scowling" photographers. If I was there, if anything, you'd seem my mouth foaming. :wink:

#218678  by Al Holleuffer

The practice of fueling NS H-02 in Morristown has been going on for several years now as they are no longer allowed to fuel in Dover Yard due to enviromental restrictions. NJT had to do quite a cleanup as part of the rebuilding and no longer has any fueling facility there. In a pinch the M&E has fueled thier power and done light repairs.

#218721  by mountie17

I would have taken pictures but the two gp38's were already tied onto the rest of their train up by Baker with no good "sun" angles of the train. I then raced west to Mt. Tabor, but any photos would have been directly into the sun, so i choose to forego any photos, but rather just watch.
BTW i, too saw the VW van. He looked angry at something and never did he even try to take a photo of H-02 when I saw him.
 #218989  by Sandy Burton

Guys, I have the red VW van. I was not mad or disgruntled about anything. I sorry if I gave the impression. Sun angles may have been the problem. Or maybe it was because I was trying to do too much on my lunch hour. I did take a picture of HO2 at Morris Plains. I also photographed the refueling operation in Morristown. I will try to do better with my facial expersions. It is unusual for me to be mad while out photographing trains.

Sandy :-D

#219015  by washingtonsecondary

Did they give up that High Nose SD40?

#219050  by mountie17

Sandy,
didn't mean to poke at you wth the angry look- I come across looking angry when i'm not. :wink: BTW, have you seen the Maine Eastern GP7 yet?
 #219059  by Sandy Burton

Yes, I have seen the Maine Eastern GP9. They took it out for a quick test run this afternoon. It still does not have its logos or numbers but is lettered for the MERR. Looks good.

Maybe I had my grumpy old man look on last Friday. The old part is appropriate, but not normally the grumpy part. :wink:

Sandy

#219105  by jprez1963

HO-2 JUST CAME EAST THROUGH HACKETTSTOWN AT 4:20PM WITH 37 CARS AND THE 5354 AND 5355 LEADING

#219314  by Phase Gap

H0-2 will be picking up the Maine Eastern engine on Wednesday for a test run to Washington and back.They will be picking up the engine at chester jct from the M&E and then go west.

#219326  by njt4172

Phase Gap wrote:H0-2 will be picking up the Maine Eastern engine on Wednesday for a test run to Washington and back.They will be picking up the engine at chester jct from the M&E and then go west.

A test run to Washington??? I assume you are talking about the GP7 M&E recently repainted????

#219867  by jprez1963

The H-02 just came through Hackettstown at about 11:00 am with the Maine Eastern unit sandwiched between the 2 NS units and 28 cars headed west.

#220178  by washingtonsecondary

I have a question about H-02's operation. Since they are basically cut off from NS territory for a good portion of their work, how do they get their orders and other information about car counts and waybills? Who controls when the engines get turned on the wye at denville, is that an NS desicion or the crew?

#220386  by gravelyfan

H-02 west through Denville at 4:45 or so (just ahead of 1003).
5355 leading about 6 cars and 5354 trailing.

Reported by my son who was on the scene at Denville station.

#220458  by General

washingtonsecondary wrote:Who controls when the engines get turned on the wye at denville, is that an NS desicion or the crew?

That decision is made by someone in Alanta.

By the way the SD40-2 has been gone for about a week. I will post a few pics of it soon.

Here are some other H02 pics from one of those scowling photographers.
http://geep38.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... ?id=297894
http://geep38.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... ?id=302113
http://geep38.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... ?id=302114
http://geep38.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... ?id=302115
http://geep38.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... ?id=295433