Railroad Forums 

• NS H-02 - sightings and reports

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#214232  by njt4172

Tri-State Tom wrote:The NS crew hung around for lunch....

The GP38's were hitched elephant style and left Morristown at 2:37 p.m. for Dover running long hood(s) forward.

Anyone know if these are ex-Conrail engines ? While both are obviously fairly new out of the paint shop, noticed neither carries an A/C unit atop the cabs.
Tom,

Yes, I believe they are ex-Conrail GP38-2... Probably Penn Central heritage.

Steve

#214383  by General

Tri-State Tom wrote:The GP38's were hitched elephant style and left Morristown at 2:37 p.m. for Dover running long hood(s) forward.

Anyone know if these are ex-Conrail engines ? While both are obviously fairly new out of the paint shop, noticed neither carries an A/C unit atop the cabs.
I took a few Kodachromes of the NS H02 today at Morristown.
The GP38-2's 5354 & 5355 are ex-Conrail units bulit for Conrail in 1978. The 5354 was repainted 12/04 and the 5355 was repainted in 2005. The differences between the ex-PC GP38-2's and ex-CR GP38-2's are the radiator grills on the long hood and the front anti-climbers.

#214691  by NYSW13000

Caught NS HO-2 today at Port Morris yard around 5:17 pm. The power was NS 5355 on the lead, leading 5354. Had about 25 cars. Will have photos up soon.

#214840  by washingtonsecondary

Does anyone know what the siding in Hackettstown is used for? Its in some one of General's pictures, and I've never seen anything on it, Transit or NS.

#214848  by nick11a

washingtonsecondary wrote:Does anyone know what the siding in Hackettstown is used for? Its in some one of General's pictures, and I've never seen anything on it, Transit or NS.
I've never seen it used personally myself, but I do believe if the H02 needs to layover in Hackettstown for whatever reason, they put it on the siding there as to not block the ROW.

#214945  by NYSW13000

washingtonsecondary wrote:Does anyone know what the siding in Hackettstown is used for? Its in some one of General's pictures, and I've never seen anything on it, Transit or NS.
There use to be a company in the era of 1996? That was in the building right beside it. I remember as a child of always seeing Plastic Pelet covered hoppers spotted on that siding.

#214953  by washingtonsecondary

nick11a wrote:
I've never seen it used personally myself, but I do believe if the H02 needs to layover in Hackettstown for whatever reason, they put it on the siding there as to not block the ROW.
When H02 lays over in hackettstown the leave it on the main, west of the station. Since nothing but them uses this stretch, its not a big deal. Seen it done a few times.

#215216  by nick11a

washingtonsecondary wrote:
nick11a wrote:
When H02 lays over in hackettstown the leave it on the main, west of the station. Since nothing but them uses this stretch, its not a big deal. Seen it done a few times.
Well, so much for that theory..... :-)

#215561  by General

Kind of a late heads up due to this site being down last night. The NS H02 delivered GP38-2 PRR 5355 in NS horsehead paint to the M&E last night. The engine was waybilled as a leasor to the M&E Railway from Pennsylvania Lines LLC.

#215749  by washingtonsecondary

Intresting. They did that last year with a GP59. It was on the M&E for a few days last year. Any idea how long (and why) it will be on the M&E?

#215889  by njt4172

I took a ride by the Morristown shops during my lunch break today and the NS GP38 was nowhere to be found... Infact the 18 and 20 were both out on the road...

#215928  by njt4172

Well, I just caught the NS GP38-2 pulling M&E 18/M&E 20 flying EB through Mount Tabor at around 4:30 pm....He had only 3 tank cars!! Why 3 locomotives for such a short train???

Of course I had my camera, but I couldn't get a good picture in time!! :(

#216019  by Al Holleuffer

The M&E had a derailment on the Chester Branch a couple of days ago which trapped both 18 and 20. In order to provide service they rented NS 5355 for a couple of days until they could rerail things and get back to normal. The M&E crew using NS 5355 made a trip to the MMC to pick up sleeper MOUNT VERNON Thursday before heading up to Chester jct. to assist in the cleanup.
 #217184  by njt4172

denvillerailfan wrote:Spotted NS at Georgia Pacific about 9:15am (must have been in Denville jct @9am)...
Shot over to Mountain Lakes to see the 5354 arrive @ 9:40 with about 18 cars.

Nice to see more than a couple of cars.

http://denvillerailfan.rrpicturearchive ... ?id=297498

http://denvillerailfan.rrpicturearchive ... ?id=297499
Jeff,

Nice pictures! Too bad they didn't bring the caboose along....You can almost pretend it was a short SC-8..... :wink:

I'm guessing most of those box cars were destined for Dietrich Steel in Boonton....

Steve