Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1504564  by Tanker1497

"On Nov 21 last, ANRP2 posted that a contractor would be checking for "Plate F" clearance along the southern. Since then there has been no more and I have been rattling my pea sized brain to see what might fit or cause that requirement.
Interestingly enough, Oyster Creek nuclear plant is being de-commissioned. The CMSL freight tracks which join the southern sec at Lakehurst are only a short ride over Barnegat Drive or Lacey Rd thru mostly sparsely populated areas. They're gonna need to move that stuff somehow, and there's a lot of very large pieces, and GSP or rte 9 for any distance would not be a good answer. Thoughts?
CharlieL

Talking with some people about this they said lots of bigger parts came by Barge back when built. Would seem it would go out the same way? Lots of freight went down the Barnagate Branch which is long gone now. Food for thought...
Last edited by Tanker1497 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1504566  by Coast Line Railfan

Bracdude181 wrote:@CoastLineRailfan I meant to type 4421 lol. Turns out it was actually two SD45s that brought OI-16 to browns that day.

When they finished drilling Woodhaven, they turned out all the lights on the locomotive so I thought they had tied it down there. It turns out the 31 crew and the 38 crew were having a quick meeting in the parking lot next to the Woodhaven spur. They were there for about 15-20 minutes before leaving. The SA38 crew got into the locomotive once they finished, and they left shortly afterwards.
Ah ok.
 #1504596  by CharlieL

The Barnegat branch had been torn up and was rebuilt, at least parts of it, for the construction of Oyster creek. Don't think that's an option this time tho. It had only been out of service a very short time.
 #1504606  by Bracdude181

Nearly all of the Barnegat Branch has become a rail trail. The ROW between Toms River and Beachwood is untouched but that's it. If the ROW is used again, I'd imagine NJT would extend the Toms River Industrial Track to the bus station in Toms River as part of the MOM plan. That is, if the plan ever falls through.
 #1504688  by GSC

Bracdude181 wrote:Nearly all of the Barnegat Branch has become a rail trail. The ROW between Toms River and Beachwood is untouched but that's it. If the ROW is used again, I'd imagine NJT would extend the Toms River Industrial Track to the bus station in Toms River as part of the MOM plan. That is, if the plan ever falls through.
I've said all along that the obvious terminal to the MOM would be in Toms River, either at the bus station or at Ciba-Geigy, plenty of room there for a terminal and park-n-ride. Get off Ciba's back in exchange for the use of the property. Need a study? Watch Route 37 and the Parkway traffic any morning or afternoon.
 #1504992  by Bracdude181

SA31 is southbound at Route 88 as of 8:48 PM. For some reason, the train stopped between Squankum Yellobrook Road and Old Tavern Road for approximately 2 minutes tonight...
 #1505244  by Rustygunz60

GSC wrote:
Bracdude181 wrote:Nearly all of the Barnegat Branch has become a rail trail. The ROW between Toms River and Beachwood is untouched but that's it. If the ROW is used again, I'd imagine NJT would extend the Toms River Industrial Track to the bus station in Toms River as part of the MOM plan. That is, if the plan ever falls through.
I've said all along that the obvious terminal to the MOM would be in Toms River, either at the bus station or at Ciba-Geigy, plenty of room there for a terminal and park-n-ride. Get off Ciba's back in exchange for the use of the property. Need a study? Watch Route 37 and the Parkway traffic any morning or afternoon.
I totally agree with you regarding the Toms River bus station being an ideal terminal. There isn't adequate parking there now, but a parking garage could remedy that, or there is plenty of other possible sites to create parking in the nearby industrial complex which has declined greatly in use over the years. I don't agree on the Ciba site however. Being able to use the site for a passenger terminal is poor justification for giving them a "don't worry about it" in regards to a major superfund site. That site has been causing problems for a long time, from the years when they dumped waste directly into the river, to the later outfall pipeline dumping it into the ocean, to the unknown amount of waste dumped or buried onsite. The aquifer in and around the pine barrens is made up of very porous sand and gravel, and pollutants have the ability to easily move through it. I'm not sure if the higher-that-normal incidence of childhood cancer in the area has been 100% linked to Ciba, but the plume leaving the site has been well-documented and there are few other industrial candidates, and none of its size, for these illnesses.
 #1505332  by GSC

Rustygunz60 wrote:
I totally agree with you regarding the Toms River bus station being an ideal terminal. There isn't adequate parking there now, but a parking garage could remedy that, or there is plenty of other possible sites to create parking in the nearby industrial complex which has declined greatly in use over the years. I don't agree on the Ciba site however. Being able to use the site for a passenger terminal is poor justification for giving them a "don't worry about it" in regards to a major superfund site. That site has been causing problems for a long time, from the years when they dumped waste directly into the river, to the later outfall pipeline dumping it into the ocean, to the unknown amount of waste dumped or buried onsite. The aquifer in and around the pine barrens is made up of very porous sand and gravel, and pollutants have the ability to easily move through it. I'm not sure if the higher-that-normal incidence of childhood cancer in the area has been 100% linked to Ciba, but the plume leaving the site has been well-documented and there are few other industrial candidates, and none of its size, for these illnesses.
I know of the problems with Ciba, I was just thinking of the size of the facility and the rail yard that would make plenty of room for a terminal. MOM is needed down there to cut down on the still-growing traffic problems. It's not going to get any better.
 #1505601  by Bracdude181

For some reason, SA31 has stopped at Woodhaven. 5285 is parked on the Woodhaven spur, and the tank car for Bel-Ray is just out of view...