Railroad Forums 

• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#992586  by CannaScrews

The other factor just may be the state of the paint industry.

Nowdays, you have colorimeters (OK they were around 40 years ago too) which can process the primary colors and reproduce the shade of paint using a sophisticated pigment dispenser.

Way back when, paint batches were created via formula dependent upon batch size. The smaller the batch, the more room for error given that the pigments were a small part of the overall content of paint.

So, when the New Haven went to paint - what 50 coaches each taking about 20 gallons of paint (old school paint guns - modern High Volume Low Pressure guns are much more efficient), you have a batch of 1000 gallons. Really small batch for the paint companies. So errors will creep in.

And did the New Haven give a hoot? The answer would be "close enough, we are in receivership" - this is not the 20th Century Limited. Probably the New York Central adopted the attitude in the late 1950's as well.

And do we want to get into the topic of photographic film emulsions.

Perhaps the only way is to find a New Haven car in existence, and gently "sand" down the layers of paint, down to the original coat, just past the few thousand atoms of that surface which was oxidized due to exposure to the elements, and then subject that layer to a color matching system.

OK, now you have the color - but will it weather as the New Haven paint did????

I mean, we want to be perfect, don't we??

Too much turkey tryptophan .....
 #999883  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

The B&M boxcar and the NH express car were both safely moved to Chase Yard today and are waiting reunion with their trucks at a later date. For a person who had never seen it before today, I must say, the NH express car looks to be in great shape and appears to be quite a stout car.
 #1000014  by Otto Vondrak

Two more days to ride our special holiday trains!

http://rmne.org/schedule/index.php

If you're lucky, you might even see ol' HFM himself, cigar clenched firmly as he makes his annual inspection of the railroad... Now, what about those lobsters?

-otto-
 #1000281  by Otto Vondrak

Reader#108 wrote:Are there any plans in place for next year....maybe Lehigh Valley 126?
Not sure, though we did have Flagg Coal Co. #75 visit the NAUG two years in a row. And just so everyone else is clear, the 126 belonged to the Lehigh Valley Coal Co., not the Lehigh Valley Railroad.

-otto-
 #1003304  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

The NH Express car/ Pullman Troop Sleeper, B&A boxcar, and the USRA boxcar were all safely placed on their trucks in Chase Yard on December 27th. The NH express car is in excellet condition and would be great for housing exhibits at the museum.
 #1005446  by Zog

This weekend saw the application of the new rubber roof membrane to the west side lower roof of CN coach 4992. This was our first time working with this material and there was some prior concern as to how well the job would go. It turned out that it was suprisingly easy and the application took approximately 2 hours. We are quite pleased with the results and plan to apply the material to the east side lower roof this coming Saturday 1/14/12.

Zog
MP 30 Hudson Division
 #1005466  by Jeff Smith

Deleted year in thread title. While on some threads a clean break is desired ( :-) can you guess which?) I don't necessarily want to lose any history in some of the better threads.
 #1005908  by Otto Vondrak

daylight4449 wrote:I'm thinking It's about time for another visit...
Thanks for the warning.
The museum opens back up mid march, right?
May through October, with limited runs in November and December. Check out our site for the 2012 schedule to be posted soon!

-otto-
 #1005921  by CannaScrews

Last weekend did accomplish more than putting on a thin sheet of rubber on 1/3 a coach roof.

Activity covered Chase Yard and (I think) Thomaston Station as well.

No slights impugned, just adding in some additional information to those who keep track.

Looks like a fine mid-January day coming up this Saturn-day. Be there, Aloha!
 #1007415  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

Two former CN heavyweight coaches will make their last transits via rail to meet the scrapper in the next few days. One of them was victim of arson a while back in Chase yard. Both have been stripped of all usefull parts that will include their trucks, wheels, couplers, and draft gear (once the scrapper makes them available). These two cars are part of a large fleet of CN coaches owned and operated by RMNE. I believe there will be about six remaining in the collection and you can look to see one or two make their return to CN colors as well. I personally hope to see our Pullmans return to glory!