• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by MEC407

Very cool! One of these days I'll finally get down there for a visit. It's been on my to-do list for years, but during that same time period my travel budget has gone from small, to zero, to a negative number. :-\
  by CVRA7

Recently the RMNE has been concentrating much of its resources on preparing for the equipment move from Saybrook, including track capacity expansion work at the Naugy. Also underway is some serious work on the normal operating fleet of former CNR coaches, which have somewhat maintenance-intesive composite roofs (wood with some sort of fabric-type covering rather than all-metal). Once this is done and we can devote more time and $ to restoration work we'll probably be able to justify another "railfan day" operation as we have had in the past. My guess is not until 2013 at the earliest.
  by oibu

From the calendar on the website, I'm inferring that the 10/8 wine train is in addition to, not exclusive of, the regular 12pm run?
  by Otto Vondrak

oibu wrote:From the calendar on the website, I'm inferring that the 10/8 wine train is in addition to, not exclusive of, the regular 12pm run?
Not sure exactly, you can also call 860-283-RAIL (7245) for more info.

-otto-
  by Jeff Smith

Whine train? That's over in the NJT forum! ;-).

Otto, great shot, makes me yearn for the good old days.....

I will definitely have to get up there next visit, and no worries, I WILL be buying a ticket.
  by Mr rt

H.F. Malone, In your thumb nail about the motive power you mentioned #1508 ...
Do I have the number wrong of the B&M RS-3 as 1503 ?
  by H.F.Malone

The B&M RS-3 is 1508. It is the 1508 that was built for B&M in 1954, and traded to D&H in 1974 for use on the "Adirondack" train (it still had a steam generator for heating passenger cars).

Restoration of a steam locomotive is a long-range goal of RMNE. CPR 4-6-2 1246 and S&C 2-6-2 103 are the two steam locomotives owned by RMNE. Such restoration is dependent on the resources to do so. See one of the preceeding posts for definition of "resources".
  by Otto Vondrak

http://naugy.blogspot.com/2011/10/order ... tober.html
TROPICAL STORM LEE FOLLOWS IRENE
In a scenario not unlike 1955 when Hurricane Connie was quickly followed by Diane, the remnants of Hurricanes Irene and Lee struck the upper Naugatuck Valley. As in 1955, the second storm added a very heavy rainfall to an already saturated ground and this time we suffered some damage, particularly in the Reynolds Bridge area, where we had a long wash over and a pair of wash outs, most of this run off from Waterbury Road. Operations were suspended for two days to allow repairs to be made. A work train with engine 2203 and the Pennsy hopper car was dispatched helped get the track back in service for the final weekend of the month. Side dump car NYC 133 was also used to help build up some of the eroded shoulders along the main line. As our own Gradall is out of service Murphy Construction’s Mike Andrews was hired in with his modern Gradall to perform ditching at various points between the shop yard and Thomaston station.
  by CVRA7

Otto Vondrak wrote:http://naugy.blogspot.com/2011/10/order ... tober.html
TROPICAL STORM LEE FOLLOWS IRENE
In a scenario not unlike 1955 when Hurricane Connie was quickly followed by Diane, the remnants of Hurricanes Irene and Lee struck the upper Naugatuck Valley. As in 1955, the second storm added a very heavy rainfall to an already saturated ground and this time we suffered some damage, particularly in the Reynolds Bridge area, where we had a long wash over and a pair of wash outs, most of this run off from Waterbury Road. Operations were suspended for two days to allow repairs to be made. A work train with engine 2203 and the Pennsy hopper car was dispatched helped get the track back in service for the final weekend of the month. Side dump car NYC 133 was also used to help build up some of the eroded shoulders along the main line. As our own Gradall is out of service Murphy Construction’s Mike Andrews was hired in with his modern Gradall to perform ditching at various points between the shop yard and Thomaston station.

Correction to above by the original writer: should read "....Murphy Construction's Mike Vincent was hired in...." I must have been thinking of a former Red Sox player who is now chairman of the Jimmy Fund! Otto was just copying what I had written - CVRA7
  by daylight4449

Reader#108 wrote:She looks very nice!
Agreed. Just what I'd expect from the RMNE crew. (Can I get my license now? I don't think I can wait until mid-December... The wait for me to go and help is killing me.)