Railroad Forums 

• Edaville Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#881307  by 3rdrail

Mike - We all know that that's a cock and bull story. Have you ever heard the saying "You can't go home again." Well, we can't go home to Edaville. Everything - including a good chunk of the roadbed - is gone ! If you believe that there is a possibility that Edaville's coming back, then you'll believe me when I tell you that I saw Liberace picking up chicks at Carson Beach yesterday.
 #881361  by Cosmo

3rdrail wrote:Mike - We all know that that's a cock and bull story. Have you ever heard the saying "You can't go home again." Well, we can't go home to Edaville. Everything - including a good chunk of the roadbed - is gone ! If you believe that there is a possibility that Edaville's coming back, then you'll believe me when I tell you that I saw Liberace picking up chicks at Carson Beach yesterday.
It's TRUE! He hit on my [Evil Twin] sister Gloria! :wink:
 #881610  by Mikejf

It will never be what it was, we know that. How about a State Park?

Cosmo, now it all makes sense.
 #881612  by Cosmo

miketrainnut wrote:It will never be what it was, we know that. How about a State Park?
IIRC, there IS a State Park or State Forrest nearby. Miles Standish?

...anybody? Beuler?
 #881678  by Mikejf

Really would be a tough sell to become a State Park, unless the land was donated.

Mike
 #881959  by CVRA7

I believe that the value of the land will rule the future of Edaville. The current recession has slowed development for now but once the economy picks up a decent head of steam, another - perhaps final - round of property sell-offs will probably occur.
Then, if there is still a shadow of Edaville running, the NIMBYs who moved into the houses built near the surviving trackage will no doubt start whining about the traffic and noise and then it will be all over.
What's all that noise from the cemetary along route 58? The sound of EDA spinning in his grave!
 #882107  by oldrr

"Some of those ideas are great ones. Live Steamers would love to have someplace to have a place to run. I am not sure about the ownership though. Perhaps Edaville could own the track, with live steamers bringing their own to run. And actually lease or rent the railroad from Edaville. The same with the Model Railroad club. Rent the space. this could be used as additional income to help preserve the future of the railroad.

Mike
"

Thank you Mike, as I think about this a little more, I have come to the conclusion that in order for the idea to work, the live steam and model railroad layouts will need to be world class in order to attract and continue to attract a lot of people. The way to accomplish that would probably require a full time person for the model railroad. Edaville would need to own both the live steam and model railroad layouts because they would become a key draw and would bring people back year after year to see the improvements.

Volunteers and part timers could also assist with the live steam and model railroads.

They key is that both need to be world class or they won't be worth doing. They need to surpass anything in New England.

The big screenhouse building would be a good place for the model railroad. In order to be world class it would need to be big.

The idea is to make adults and kids want to go back to the place with the wonderful trains. Not the place with the cheap amusement park rides.

As for live steam, there is something unique about riding on 7.5 inch gauge trains. I would suggest that the 7.5 gauge live steam track be placed adjacent or inside the gauge of the 2 foot gauge. The rails would need to be heavier than normal in order to be able to stand up to the snow and ice.

A several mile long train ride on 7.5 inch gauge would be quite compelling and a lot of fun.

A two foot gauge train ride is similar to a standard gauge train ride. Sitting in a little train car on 7.5 inch gauge track most certainly is not.

A world class model railroad layout in the big cranberry screenhouse would be a year round attraction.
 #882136  by Cosmo

Small problem with that idea...
Live Steamers already HAVE places to run here in New England. Holliston/Washakum is closest and there are others.
 #882265  by MaineCoonCat

Wonder if, by a bunch of people e-mailing, snail mailing and telephoning, Ocean Spray's interest could be sparked as in an industry museum or in a partnership with another party to save it and maybe restore some of the "glory".

Glad I'm not a kid these days, especially around here. All the really fun stuff's gone.
 #882307  by 3rdrail

papabarn wrote:Glad I'm not a kid these days, especially around here. All the really fun stuff's gone.
Yup. "Thanks !", "developers" for putting an end to Norumbega Park, Pleasure Island, Paragon Park, Norwood Stock Car Races, Revere Beach amusements, Edaville, 1/2 of South Station, 1/2 of North Station, The El, Bozo, Rex Trailer, Lionel layout at Jordan's, fun stores for kids like Raymond's, Morgies, F.A.O. Schwarz, Woolworth's, Lechmere Sales, Jack n' Jills & the other joke shops, Enchanted Village, Eric Fuchs, Hobbytown, Boston Model Railroad (all 3 locations), Logan Observation Deck, open tour invites for ships in port, Snow Train, Christmas animatronics in store windows...
 #882317  by steamer69

Cosmo wrote:Small problem with that idea...
Live Steamers already HAVE places to run here in New England. Holliston/Washakum is closest and there are others.
Right on. No sence in "flooding the market". There are 4 railroads listed on Discover Live Steams' list in MA while none are in Ct, 2 in RI, 1 in ME, 2 in VT and 1 in NH. Even thoug some of these railroads are listed as "private" some of them do give rides, and most will let you bring equipment to run. Also one last thing, building a railroad at Edaville in 7.5 gauge would isolate it from the rest of the live steam comunity in New England as all of us use 7.25 gauge.
 #882325  by frrc

3rdrail wrote:
papabarn wrote:Glad I'm not a kid these days, especially around here. All the really fun stuff's gone.
Yup. "Thanks !", "developers" for putting an end to Norumbega Park, Pleasure Island, Paragon Park, Norwood Stock Car Races, Revere Beach amusements, Edaville, 1/2 of South Station, 1/2 of North Station, The El, Bozo, Rex Trailer, Lionel layout at Jordan's, fun stores for kids like Raymond's, Morgies, F.A.O. Schwarz, Woolworth's, Lechmere Sales, Jack n' Jills & the other joke shops, Enchanted Village, Eric Fuchs, Hobbytown, Boston Model Railroad (all 3 locations), Logan Observation Deck, open tour invites for ships in port, Snow Train, Christmas animatronics in store windows...
And don't forget the famous Westboro Speedway, now a shopping mall. And Whalom Park in Lunenberg, now condos...
 #882341  by NRGeep

frrc wrote:
3rdrail wrote:
And don't forget the famous Westboro Speedway, now a shopping mall.
And of course the recently shuttered Westborough State Hospital, now that was a fun place!
 #882352  by JBlaisdell

3rdrail wrote:
It's not the developers, but the municipalities who levy taxes. Often they tax an entire area at a set rate with no consideration for businesses that fall outside of the classification, like farms in suburban areas or amusement parks in commercial districts. These property owners often have little choice BUT to sell as their valuations, and thus tax bills, skyrocket.
 #882383  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:
Cosmo wrote:Small problem with that idea...
Right on. No sence in "flooding the market". There are 4 railroads listed on Discover Live Steams' list in MA while none are in Ct, 2 in RI, 1 in ME, 2 in VT and 1 in NH. Even thoug some of these railroads are listed as "private" some of them do give rides, and most will let you bring equipment to run. Also one last thing, building a railroad at Edaville in 7.5 gauge would isolate it from the rest of the live steam community in New England as all of us use 7.25 gauge.
Don't get me wrong, having a live steamer club's presence at EDAville isn't a bad idea in and of itself, but I wouldn't try to make it the big selling point. It might not be a bad idea to add a loop of 7.25" ga. to the park, perhaps with one of the already existing clubs contributing, but you'd need to save the park FIRST.