Railroad Forums 

• "Jewelry Exchange in Sudbury!"

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1447554  by BostonUrbEx

I had heard that a derailment ended it all for Sudbury. Now that I see the extent of it, it's no surprise. That's quite the derailment for an industrial track.
 #1447628  by Knucklehead

l008com wrote:Also I've heard it mentioned a few times, including above in this thread I think, that there was a derailment in 00/01 and they just abandoned the line after that.

But while I was search for other people's pictures of the sudbury diamond, I found this ONE picture that claims to be from the derailment!!

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20010 ... 218381.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's a hell of a derailment! I was expecting a wheel off the rail, not upside down box cars! How is that even possible, one would assume the speed in that spot would have been something like 5mph or less. I spend an hour searching but could not find any reference to this accident anywhere. It happened just a couple of years too early to be enshrined on the internet. Does anyone know anything else about this accident? Exactly where and how it happened, and more pics would be cool too!
I believe the derailment occurred on a section of track that was built on fill, so the cars tumbled down somewhat of an embankment.
 #1447680  by Narrowgauger

If im not mistaken I remember a Conrail sw1500 derailed a car on a bridge just before the MA pike that damaged a bridge beyond repair. That signaled the demise of the line...
Ted
 #1448142  by BandA

Was just down the street this weekend giving love back to the Boy Scout Reservation. I knew where the tracks crossed RT20, but never knew where the diamond was!
 #1448148  by MaineCoonCat

Take Union Ave. north from Boston Post Rd. (U.S. 20).. Go about 255m. (280yd). The access road for Chiswick Industrial Park will be on your left along with the last South Sudbury station building (now occupied by AAA Limo service). You'll see where the Lowell Secondary crossed the access road about 48m. (52yd.) from Union Ave. Walk north along the ROW only about 15m. (15yd.). It was a bit overgrown when I walked in there last year.
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1452159  by l008com

Rabid Transit wrote:I believe this is the same location, pictures taken in 1997.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_w_a ... 3917232724" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I recall being somewhat amused by the proximity of trees to the tracks.
Wow it's so open looking now. It looks NOTHING like that today. It's all thick brush and the rails in the street are gone. The brush obstructs the view so much that you could easily not even know the were one set of tracks there, nevermind two! Then again, at least one of those was still active at the time huh? I guess that'll do it :D
 #1465480  by neman2

An interesting photo from Tom Nelligan on NE Rail New England Photo Rail Archive showing a Penn Central train dropping or picking up cars at South Sudbury in 1971.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ex=4&key2=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if anyone can explain why a Penn Central train going from Lowell to Providence would be picking up or dropping cars at the B&M Central Mass line after coming down the Framingham and Lowell, which begins at another B&M line so close by in Lowell? I'm having a hard time figuring it out. thanks
 #1465514  by johnpbarlow

Perhaps 20 years back, there was a lumber yard (State Lumber?) in South Sudbury where the ex-NH Lowell branch crossed the B&M Central Mass line that received quite a bit of rail traffic even into the CSX era. The attached photo shows the RoW from the Lowell branch into where the lumber yard used to be which may have been served by B&M orignally (?).

Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia regarding the Framingham and Lowell RR
By the 1960s, the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad, like many railroads, was struggling to stay solvent in the face of increased competition from alternate modes of transportation, and so in 1961 it petitioned to be included in the newly formed Penn Central Transportation Company. On December 31, 1968 all of its properties were purchased by Penn Central.[3] Penn Central, however, soon went bankrupt, and on April 1, 1976 it was taken over by Conrail. However, ownership of the former Framingham and Lowell Railroad line was not passed to Conrail, save for a small portion from South Sudbury to Framingham Center, which was named the South Sudbury Industrial Track in 1982; ownership of the line North from South Sudbury to Lowell passed to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, who contracted with Conrail to provide service.[4] During the 1980s the tracks stretching from South Sudbury to Concord Junction were abandoned, and service was contracted to the Bay Colony Railroad to supply the North Acton-based lumber yards from West Concord.

The present owner, CSX Transportation, took over part of the Conrail system in 1999, including the only remaining active portion of the Framingham and Lowell Railroad which was the South Sudbury Industrial Track (South Sudbury to Framingham Center, a 4.8 mile segment of the Lowell Secondary between the Central Mass right of way in Sudbury and the active Fitchburg Secondary in Framingham. 1.4 miles of the South Sudbury Industrial Track are in the town of Sudbury and 3.4 miles are in the town of Framingham). Service on the line ended on April 13, 2000 when the last CSX train on the South Sudbury Industrial Track derailed off a West spur which led to a lumber yard in Sudbury, this spur is located immediately South of the junction with the East West Central Mass Rail Line right of way (the Boston & Maine Railroad abandoned the Central Mass Branch Rail Line in 1980). In June 2001, CSX applied to the federal Surface Transportation Board (STB) for approval to abandon the line. In October 2001 the STB approved the abandonment, although the town of Sudbury filed notice with the STB to request that abandonment be postponed in order to allow negotiations with CSX for acquisition of the line as a rail trail. On August 2004, CSX had removed the rails and ties, leaving bridges in place in the event a path were built. By late 2005, all of the grade crossings had been removed by the Massachusetts Highway Department. Today, the line is in various stages of being converted into the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail.[5]
Attachments:
Sudbury MA.JPG
Sudbury MA.JPG (229.26 KiB) Viewed 3826 times
 #1465560  by neman2

Ok that makes sense, I am familiar with that connecting track, having driven over it many times when my two boys played basketball at the "Fieldhouse" right near the diamond. When I originally saw the picture with a B&M train in it I assumed they were exchanging cars but the PC train is most likely just switching the lumber yard.
 #1465626  by Jedijk88

Page 137 of the Central Mass book second addition notes that the Sudbury lumber yard was B&M served, then arranged to receive cars on a nearby siding on CR's Lowell Secondary Track after BM's abandonment.
 #1465938  by MaineCoonCat

Jedijk88 wrote:Page 137 of the Central Mass book second addition notes that the Sudbury lumber yard was B&M served, then arranged to receive cars on a nearby siding on CR's Lowell Secondary Track after BM's abandonment.
That would be correct. I remember when both lines were active. Was Mullen lumber. There was a connection even back in 1943. Mullen was just to the east and south (right and below) of the intersection of Station Road and Union Ave. (Now Sudbury Lumber) in this topo . The "connection" to the Central Mass Branch was to the west of the diamond. The area that was used to unload from CR/CSX is part of a relatively new industrial park. I think it was built in the 1980's..
sudbury topo east1.png
 #1466910  by Milepost20

Somewhere between 365 Boston Post Rd and Landham Rd there is supposedly an old target signal. But I've never ventured back there to find it.

DBD
 #1466931  by l008com

I never really thought about it before but with a line that's still in-tacts, shouldn't all the signals still be there? It looks like crossings are the only thing that's been removed.
 #1466967  by MaineCoonCat

Milepost20 wrote:Somewhere between 365 Boston Post Rd and Landham Rd there is supposedly an old target signal. But I've never ventured back there to find it.

DBD
East Sudbury station (MP 18.84) was under the Landham Rd. bridge.. 365 Boston Post Rd. would be "Mill Village".
edbear wrote:M193, 2 light staggered automatic approach for South Sudbury interlocking, near Bridge 19.47, was visible from Landham Rd. bridge at East Sudbury station.
Above quote is from this post: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=1359&start=45#p973618

Hope this helps..