Railroad Forums 

• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1565979  by EL3601

FYI. Should be two more sleepers leaving Elmira this morning. Crew was on duty 5:30am to taxi to Elmira and turn to Binghamton. Arrival in Binghamton between 8-9am.
 #1566263  by danib62

Alphaboi wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:19 pm
Rockingham Racer wrote:Yes, and the price for them is totally and unrealistically high. Then, after poor patronage, Amtrak will be able to say that the idea was unsuccessful.
Actually at $288 for a Roomette and $323 for a Bedroom the prices are pretty decent; the Bedroom is a bargain. These aren't much more expensive than First Class on the Acela, and it saves the cost of a hotel room (which can be expensive in either city.)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
The biggest problem with the NER overnight train is that they charge an extra $150 for the second passenger when the coach price is $49.
 #1566433  by StLouSteve

Saw a recent trip report on board the new sleepers on youtube:

He thinks the bed is a bit firmer, red cloth used in place of blue, toilet at end of hall with shower across from it, space where commode used to be is available for storage, some tweaks to heating and cooling controls, good sized fold out table, but best of all, room is whisper quiet and really dark for sleeping. Overall favorable review and I look forward to experiencing them on an upcoming trip. Now if we could just get the diners to serve real food again.
 #1566500  by JimBoylan

Alphaboi wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:49 pmIs Amtrak still planning on refurbishing the VIs to match?
That was their original plan, to remove 1 Roomette, replace it with 2 communal showers, and remove the toilets from the rest of the Roomettes.
 #1568111  by gokeefe

I think it is nearly guaranteed now that the Viewliner I rebuilds will in fact move forward. I would bet better than even money a certain Amtrak car shop in Delaware will get the work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1569874  by Gilbert B Norman

On Track On Line reports eighteen on hand as of April 1, so these two, 62501 Potomac River and 62519 Tallapoosa River will make twenty.

Five to go, presumably after which, both Amtrak and CAF will say to each other "don't let the door hit you on the way out". This whole sorry execution of this contract will make for quite an interesting B-School case study.

The non-sequential deliveries are quite customary, and so long as you get 'em all, should not be of concern.
 #1569882  by bostontrainguy

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:47 am Five to go, presumably after which, both Amtrak and CAF will say to each other "don't let the door hit you on the way out". This whole sorry execution of this contract will make for quite an interesting B-School case study.
Yeah but at least CAF didn't give up, pack their bags and leave like Nippon Sharyo. That would have been a major problem for Amtrak.
 #1569893  by Greg Moore

While I think there's lots of reasons not to throw more money at CAF, I wonder if the current WH is any more likely to look at further expanding the fleet.

I still think a prudent expansion that among other things has a focus on pragmatic overnight travel between city pairs would have some merit.

And unfortunately, has bad as CAF has been, I think if an expansion is called for, spinning up another manufacturer to make a "Viewliner III" would be a bad idea.