Railroad Forums 

• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1558571  by Gilbert B Norman

According to On Track site, there are twelve V-II Sleepers on the property. However that site shows updated Nov 1.

With the two, 62500 Portage River and 62507 Roanoke River, reported delivered and heading South on 97(9), that means fourteen are on the property. When accepted, that means there could be three lines, with two protects, for each set of the four needed for 91/97, Meteor/Star.

Nevermind how many V-I "protects" are sitting about the System.

All told, the one line NARP/RPA reports assigned is not too much about which to "crow".
 #1558602  by bostontrainguy

So if we head back north from Florida for a visit to Boston next year we will probably enjoy brand new sleepers, brand new diners (or lounges) and a brand new "Penn Station" to explore. That would be a rather incredible thing.
 #1565338  by CNJGeep

62509 St. John's River was the third sleeper on 97 (8) today
 #1565426  by CNJGeep

V-2s have definitely entered the Rota and will continue to make inroads. The following quote comes from https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... ping-cars/
"Amtrak’s Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing and Revenue Officer Roger Harris tells Trains News Wire that the company has recently introduced Viewliner II cars on each departure of New York-Miami Silver Star and Silver Meteor.

“The sleepers are maintained at Miami’s Hialeah Maintenance Facility. They are running well, but while they’re still in their infancy, we’re making sure they go home on every run. Right now there is at least one car on every train and soon two of the three sleeping cars will be Viewliner IIs,” says Harris.

Original Viewliners will ply the Boston-Washington overnight route once that service begins on April 5. With the Viewliner IIs finally making their debut on the Meteor and Star, Harris confirms there will be enough equipment to add sufficient capacity once long-distance trains begin running daily, which he says will begin later this spring."
 #1565435  by Alphaboi

Rockingham Racer wrote:Yes, and the price for them is totally and unrealistically high. Then, after poor patronage, Amtrak will be able to say that the idea was unsuccessful.
Actually at $288 for a Roomette and $323 for a Bedroom the prices are pretty decent; the Bedroom is a bargain. These aren't much more expensive than First Class on the Acela, and it saves the cost of a hotel room (which can be expensive in either city.)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#1565475  by Rockingham Racer

Alphaboi wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:19 pm
Rockingham Racer wrote:Yes, and the price for them is totally and unrealistically high. Then, after poor patronage, Amtrak will be able to say that the idea was unsuccessful.
Actually at $288 for a Roomette and $323 for a Bedroom the prices are pretty decent; the Bedroom is a bargain. These aren't much more expensive than First Class on the Acela, and it saves the cost of a hotel room (which can be expensive in either city.)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Agreed. But I was using the figure of the combined Acela Express and a Florida train of $400+ that had been available before the new sleeper was added for reserving for $288.
 #1565517  by STrRedWolf

west point wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:53 pm We must also take into consideration that there may be a few passenger O & D at providence and Baltimore although not a very long sleep. PHL? do not think so ?
We're talking about it over on the Federal/Night Owl/Twilight Shoreliner. The timing going down from Boston to Baltimore is a flat 9 hours, 9h30m to DC. You get your 8 hours in.
 #1565579  by Greg Moore

At this point, as I understand it, all 15 Baggage-dorms have been delivered, and at least 5 sleepers.
Is that the correct number of sleepers?

And is there an update on what trains the bag-dorms are on?
 #1565582  by WhartonAndNorthern

Greg Moore wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:37 am At this point, as I understand it, all 15 Baggage-dorms have been delivered, and at least 5 sleepers.
Is that the correct number of sleepers?

And is there an update on what trains the bag-dorms are on?
16 out of 25 sleepers have been delivered. All 10 dorms have been delivered. The Cardinal and Crescent use them.