• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by JoeCollege

An announcement in the classified/public announcements section of the Norwich newspaper last week stated that service was "being suspended" from Sherburne to Chenango Forks, but that the line wasn't being abandoned, railbanked, or railtrailed.

The line is currently a weed choked eyesore exempt from municipal laws about height of lawns, weed infestation, etc. but at least it's still got rails and ties.
  by lvrr325

JoeCollege wrote:An announcement in the classified/public announcements section of the Norwich newspaper last week stated that service was "being suspended" from Sherburne to Chenango Forks, but that the line wasn't being abandoned, railbanked, or railtrailed.

The line is currently a weed choked eyesore exempt from municipal laws about height of lawns, weed infestation, etc. but at least it's still got rails and ties.
That's kind of like saying, tomorrow the sun will rise, isn't it? Since the washouts that portion of the line's only seen car storage that I'm aware of.

Edit: I've added the post with the comments I was referring to.
Last edited by lvrr325 on Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by railfanmilke

A local runs a job mon-fri down to sherburne for the feed mills in sangerfield, chenengo pet products, and the lumper place which they load boxcars with wood. the only reason they havnt taken out the tracks south of sherburne is because of possible CSX detours like in 2007 derailment in Canastota
  by RussNelson

henry6 wrote:Mike, the track is gone south of Norwich! There ain't gonna be a CSX or any other kinda detour!!!!
Do you mean that the track is OOS, or that the rails have been lifted? If the latter, that's news to me.
  by ricebrianrice

Gone = Washed Out
  by JoeCollege

ricebrianrice wrote:Gone = Washed Out
Iron remains in place. There are spots where the roadbed is washed out, especially south of Oxford around Brisben. The line is almost invisible at this point due to weed growth, etc. but still intact.
  by Moss

Has the Utica branch been abandoned? Do they still run the train to Syracuse? I was overlooking the yard the other day,and it was pretty quiet. Lots of Locos looking "mothballed". Any info on train schedules for the Suzy-Q would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
Moss
  by Steve F45

the utica isn't fully abadoned. Just a portion, which i can't remember from what to what.

Syracuse is still used. CSX interchange traffic is brought up and down the line. The northern division from what i've been reading on the yahoo boards seems to be pretty busy now. Especially Cortland. Traffic overall in my opinion seems to slowly but surely picking up. More c&d is beeing loaded down here in nj. Trains run east on sunday, tuesday, and thursday evenings out of bingo and then west on monday, wednesday and friday evenings from little ferry.
  by blockline4180

Steve F45 wrote:the utica isn't fully abadoned. Just a portion, which i can't remember from what to what.
I could be wrong, but I believe they still go down to Sangerfield from Utica to serve a few customers.
  by cjvrr

Utica Branch is in service from Utica south to Sherburne (which is south of Sangerfield). Service is as needed and run out of Utica. Sherburne south (through Norwich) to Chenango Forks is out of service.

Syracuse seems to see daily service. Through trains to and from NJ as well as locals.
  by N_DL640A

[quote="Steve F45"]the utica isn't fully abadoned. Just a portion, which i can't remember from what to what. /quote]
Actually, none of the Utica branch is currently abandoned. Just out of service.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

mods note: moving this to the Utica thread. please use this thread for your Utica musings. thanks
  by JoeCollege

Mods note: while I personally don't like polls, or surveys, I'm going to let this one pass, for a while, and make it a sticky. Thanks for asking, Joe.

Commerce Chenango, the area chamber of commerce organization, is conducting a survey regarding the viability of excursion service on the currently inactive NYSW nee DL&W Utica branch. The thought, I believe is to preserve the line for future use and assist the large volume of summer tourist traffic related to the North East Classic Car Museum, Gus Macker basketball tournament, Colorscape Chenango Arts Festival, and other events. As fellow railfans, I'd urge you to take a few minutes and perhaps contribute to the establishment and growth of tourist rail operations, if not at least the possible preservation of a current line in the heartland of New York state. The link for the survey is: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=f ... rfpQ_3d_3d

An article from the Norwich Evening Sun (I have received permission to copy and paste) is as follows:

CHENANGO COUNTY – What do you think should happen to the roughly 40 mile stretch of railway through Chenango County? Residents and visitors now have a chance to express their thoughts on the topic by completing an online survey. Commerce Chenango has posted the brief 10-question survey gauging interest in a scenic or tourist railroad on its web site.

The survey is a part of the Railroad Feasibility Study commissioned by the Chenango County Area Corporation to evaluate the viability of a number of different options for the rail corridor. The line has been out of service since it was damaged by heavy flooding in June 2006.

The study, which is funded in part by the Chenango County Planning and Economic Development Committee, is being conducted by TranSystems-Stone Consulting.

Anyone interested in completing the survey may access it through a link on the Commerce Chenango website, http://www.chenangony.org. Residents without internet access may obtain a copy of the survey at the Commerce Chenango offices, 19 Eaton Ave., second floor. Call 334-1400 for more information.
  by Noel Weaver

I have my doubts that this will go anywhere. Ideas are a dime a dozen but money for them is not usually available.
I would hate to see tax dollars put in to this with other already established tourist railroads in much better locations could
use it for improvements.
Noel Weaver
  by JoeCollege

You may be correct, Noel, and your thoughts are valid. But that's also a purpose of the survey. I applaud this organization for their effort to preserve a line that is vital to the long term economic success of their area and for seeking public input prior to making any decision.

Like any other town with passenger/scenic railroads, Norwich was once a proud railroad town, hosting yards and division offices of the O&W, and I am glad to see some community leadership with the foresight and desire to attempt to preserve the line itself.

Perhaps money might better be spent on a new operation with vision and enough other local activities to support it than on otherwise marginal operations with a lack of money due to poor planning, poor location or other factors. Who knows, even if this goes nowhere as you suspect (and to a large extent so do I) at least it won't go without some investigation.