• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by 3shorts

Are there any trolley type passanger cars (self powered) that could utilize this route? Seems like a low cost way to travel; no traffic, etc.
Also the Bing-Syr route too.
Or do railroads have to run 3000 hp locos for some reason?

by charlie6017

Hi,
There is already some discussion of passenger travel on this thread........
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 88&start=0

Also, there are some threads on the Utica to Binghamton corridor....

Thanks,
Charlie

by lvrr325

Who would ride such a thing? No one even rode the Ontrack shuttle in Syracuse, using the same Budd cars on these routes would be just about a 100% losing proposition.

OP started the other Utica side thread a few posts down, this probably should be copied right into that one.

by charlie6017

lvrr325 wrote:OP started the other Utica side thread a few posts down, this probably should be copied right into that one.
LOL.................I would, but I am not good at doing those types of surgery to the threads. Maybe one of these days I will learn.

by RussNelson

Any news on this line?

by JoeCollege

RussNelson wrote:Any news on this line?
Coincidentally, yesterday's Evening Sun, a daily paper based in Norwich, had an article about the county planning board wanting the line reactivated. Some of the more politically powerful players in the area seem against it for unclear reasons. Another is dead set against a trail usage, as the county has been developing a parallel bike lane on county route 32.

There is some small interest in a passenger excursion line, but little freight to move. I'd think propane, home heating oil, outbound logs and stone could be of use, as could small seasonal shipments of wood pellets or bagged coal but there ain't much money there.
  by ut-1

Any new developments??? I know this topic is mentioned in the Norwich paper from time to time but haven't read anything abt the line's status south of Sherburne in quite some time.
  by Steve F45

i think there was a posting on the nysw yahoo group that CSX is looking to store something like 300+ cars on the line. Apprently the track is somewhat useable close to norwich. i'de have to find the posting and paste it here.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

Steve, feel free to post a link to the original article, and make a summarization of it, but please don't paste articles from other websites/forums. Thanks :wink:
  by Steve F45

GA, what was posted on the other site wasn't an article. im still trying to dig it up. But i think it was from an employee.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

It's all the same, Steve-O. Make a brief statement about the "whatever', and provide a link to it. Thanks!!! :-D
  by blockline4180

Found it:
Posted by Stkid
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/N ... sage/34281

As minds could race with anticipation... mine included. The rumor I
heard is that CSX is looking to store approximately 400 cars on the
NYSW...
Sorry for stealing your fire SteveF45.

"The Other Steve"
  by Steve F45

blockline4180 wrote:Found it:
Posted by Stkid
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/N ... sage/34281

As minds could race with anticipation... mine included. The rumor I
heard is that CSX is looking to store approximately 400 cars on the
NYSW...
Sorry for stealing your fire SteveF45.

"The Other Steve"

No fire stolen. :-) thanks for posting!
  by newyorkcentral

Can anyone tell me the status of the operations on the NYS&W Utica branch? I can't believe that its totally shutting down because I have seen and heard #3040 out collecting cars from the local businesses. :(