Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1628058  by Railjunkie

jhdeasy wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:46 am
Railjunkie wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:12 am
I cut one of the Pacific cars yesterday off the tail of AMT 48 and placed in the storage yard up against the NYC3. Guess a trip today on AMT 290 to Burlington? That is what the yardmaster told me was going to happen. We will see what happens this afternoon. The
I believe PACIFIC ISLAND will be making the trip to Burlington Vermont.
It almost didn't go as there is no way to MU through the coach as the Burlington sets have engines on both ends. There was a bit of "who approved this" going around. It went with the A/C manning the rear unit watching for issues with brakes and any alarms that may go off.
 #1628499  by Railjunkie

CSRR573 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:09 pm Pardon my ignorance but does the car not have ports for comm cables?
It has communication cable ports but no M/U cable ports. The same thing happened a few days ago with the NYC 43 and Hickory Creek. An extra engineer was called for the round trip to Burlington to mind the shop on the trail engine.
 #1629634  by John_Perkowski

Tuesday morning, 19 Sep 2023, 0040… Patrick Henry’s two ex UP PV are sitting on the house tracks at Kansas City Union Station.

Tuesday afternoon, 19 Sep 2023, ~1600, the PV are gone.

Option A… Someone hooked them onto the EB Southwest Chief to Chicago.
Option B… Someone hooked them onto the morning Missouri River Eagle to St Louis.
Option C… They were moved someplace in the KC metro for a Kansas City Fashion Week event.

My bet is on B.
 #1629965  by Railjunkie

Varnish is starting to filter into Rennselaer for the AAPRCO fall special. Sounds like 7 or 8 cars this year. Not the biggest train we have ever hosted but not the smallest either. Dome came in last night off AMT68 and is now up against the NYC3.
 #1630401  by John_Perkowski

Railjunkie wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:44 am Varnish is starting to filter into Rennselaer for the AAPRCO fall special. Sounds like 7 or 8 cars this year. Not the biggest train we have ever hosted but not the smallest either. Dome came in last night off AMT68 and is now up against the NYC3.
That explains where BERLIN is. There was a video on book of faces, and BERLIN is in the conga line.

It’s amazing how many UP cars have been retained for preservation as PV.
 #1631105  by Tadman

Few weeks ago - took this at Alabama State Docks in Mobile AL. The Mexicans bought an F59 to go with their eclectic fleet on the Yucatan Interoceanico Railway, which also includes Budd domes, Amfleet, SD70's, and British HST125.

And this is the ferry it is loaded aboard.

#1631528  by STrRedWolf

charlesriverbranch wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:53 am While riding an MBTA commuter rail train into South Station from JFK/UMass yesterday, I saw an unusual Amtrak consist sitting in the yard to our left. There were two Viewliner sleepers in it along with several coaches. Does anyone here know what it was?
I would assume it's one of the Lake Shore Limited consists. It splits in two at Albany to go to Boston and NYC.
 #1631597  by CSRR573

charlesriverbranch wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:53 am While riding an MBTA commuter rail train into South Station from JFK/UMass yesterday, I saw an unusual Amtrak consist sitting in the yard to our left. There were two Viewliner sleepers in it along with several coaches. Does anyone here know what it was?
Amtrak is currently testing a new wheel profile for the Viewliner 2's. In the past week or so we've reprofiled the wheels on them. A few sleepers, two baggage cars and a diner. Still have 3 sleepers left in the yard that havent gone back yet.