Railroad Forums 

• Type 7 Overhaul Program

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#434429  by Stmtrolleyguy

I saw the car twice today. . .
One outbound on E around 8 30am, and again heading inbound around 3:15. No pix yet, but if I see it again, I'll try and get a pic.

I'm not sure what I think of the black around the front windows, it looks a little dark. I might have seen what green would have looked like, and I think the front advertising has to go.

I know the usual combo today is 7-8 on a 2 car train, but I wonder if they're planning on changing that once the rest of the 8s are operational. They run much better 7-7 and 8-8...

The one other thing I find funny is the "stop" signs on the door - they don't say how far back you have to stop. Anyone remember the distance?

#434479  by Gerry6309

I know the usual combo today is 7-8 on a 2 car train, but I wonder if they're planning on changing that once the rest of the 8s are operational. They run much better 7-7 and 8-8...
As long as 8s are available every train is supposed to include one. (consent agreement) Riverside trains are two 7s because the trackwork isn't finished, so they use pairs of 8s on Comm. Av.

#434485  by F-line to Dudley via Park

They're shooting for 7-8 consists nearly all of the time to maximize the number of consists with 1 ADA-accessible vehicle. Since the Type 7's outnumber the Type 8's you'll still see 7-7's and they're not prohibited from doing so, but obviously they'd try to minimize those consists and spread them out well enough that no handicapped person will get inconvenienced by catching them back-to-back.

I wonder how well they perform in an 8-7-7 setup in a 3-car consist. Since 3 cars will be much more common that's the most logical way to absorb the fleet numbers disparity, but if they don't run well mixed and they're forced to do 8-8-7's then you will see quite a few more 7-7's filling in service.

#434522  by Stmtrolleyguy

8-7-7 would be interesting to ride. . .

I know they are required to mix the cars, but it still does bring up the question of why they will re-paint the cars into the green and white instead of the teal and gray (not that i'm a particular fan of it) but the mismatched colors might look a bit strange. . .then again, a teal and gray 7 peeling to a green and white 7 would look even worse.

So far, i've seen the 7 in the new green scheme about 6 times today - it's appeared headed outbound just about every 90mins or so all day (not sure how far inbound its going before it turns around to head out again.)

#434681  by StevieC48

Stmtrolleyguy wrote:The one other thing I find funny is the "stop" signs on the door - they don't say how far back you have to stop. Anyone remember the distance?

If I read the MGL ch 90 i believe it is 50 -100 ft behind an open door, but I know that question is in the licence tests.

#434998  by -Garrett

Stmtrolleyguy wrote:I saw the car twice today. . .
One outbound on E around 8 30am, and again heading inbound around 3:15. No pix yet, but if I see it again, I'll try and get a pic.

I'm not sure what I think of the black around the front windows, it looks a little dark. I might have seen what green would have looked like, and I think the front advertising has to go.
The black around the windows (and the sliver metalic roof) are throwbacks to the LRV's which were delievered with a similar schemes. The difference is that on the LRV's, the black around the windows extended to include the sliding plug doors, and was also around the Motorman's side windows; the new scheme on Type 7's has neither. I always thought the trim around the windows made the LRV's look more futuristic than the newer Type 7s, which to me looked more like articulated picture window PCC's with white roofs.

That said, I'd sure like to see a more direct full side view photo to see how it looks.

#435026  by Stmtrolleyguy

-Garrett wrote: That said, I'd sure like to see a more direct full side view photo to see how it looks.
If its still running around (I think I've seen it in passing at least once today) I should have a good photo of it tomorrow. (Perks of living on Huntington Ave.)

#435197  by RailBus63

-Garrett wrote:The black around the windows (and the sliver metalic roof) are throwbacks to the LRV's which were delievered with a similar schemes. The difference is that on the LRV's, the black around the windows extended to include the sliding plug doors, and was also around the Motorman's side windows; the new scheme on Type 7's has neither.
The original black window trim on the Boeing cars extended from the operator's side window only as far as the small side window right behind the cab. The large post there was left white, then the black window trim started again from the first large side window through the plug doors to the last side window before the articulation.

Also, the LRV's roof color was gray, not silver.

#436235  by MBTA3247

I spent much of today with GP40MC 1116 and CRail chasing after 3667, which was running on the E line. You can check out my shots here.

#436238  by danib62

Good to see that it's ad-free (mostly).

#436243  by MBTA3247

One side is mostly ad-free (there's only one), the other side is covered with ads like almost every other Type 7.

#436296  by -Garrett

Great pictures, thanks!

Now if only I could move back, I miss Boston, :(

#437078  by GP40MC 1116

Jeeze MBTA3247, you have some nice camera equipment, if only I was so lucky :-D

Lets just say the chase was crazy and fun all at the same time!

I wanted to get my chime in here too! At this point MBTA3247 was a half block down the road chasing 3667 while i just stayed put and moved and shot..! :-D

#437445  by type 7 3704

Apparently they want to test AC traction motors in type 7s.
IFB: CAP154-07
Addendum Number:
Bid opening date: 8/23/07

The MBTA seeks to purchase a prototype inverter for Green Line Type 7 Cars in strict accordance with MBTA specifications.

Buyer: Christine Noonan, 617-222-3761, [email protected]
from here: http://www.mbta.com/business%5Fcenter/b ... or%5Fbids/

#437464  by orange1234

The inverter could be used for something else, but it would be great to hear AC whine coming from the Type 7s.