Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1609583  by workextra

This is part of the Metro-Northification of LIRR.
Woodside and Jamaica will be like 125st Harlem.
The biggest difference which is creating all the issues here is multiple western terminals and 3 of the 4 are west of woodside with Brooklyn being west of Jamaica.

The idea is to completely transform LIRR to no longer need Jamaica connections.
Thus making Jamaica an intermediate junction point station.
Similar to mineola, Hicksville, babylon & Valley stream.
 #1609609  by Head-end View

What is the MTA hoping to accomplish by reducing or eliminating the need for Jamaica connections? I think I know the answer but I'm interested in other's opinions.
 #1609635  by geico

this is because A) not enough bilevel cars and b) not enough dual mode engines. This problem should have been solved in 1998.
 #1609986  by geico

Head-end View wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:02 pm What is the MTA hoping to accomplish by reducing or eliminating the need for Jamaica connections? I think I know the answer but I'm interested in other's opinions.
whats the difference?? 90% of everything that didnt stop in jamaica still stopped but didnt open the doors
 #1610669  by Kelly&Kelly

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:29 am I know NYCT has the electric traction supplied by commercial utility carriers, since the old generating plants
closed. I recall NYCT paying an agreed rate per year. How was LIRR billed, by a standard tariff rate?
The Railroad's propulsion power is supplied by the New York Power Authority. In some areas, PSE&G and Edisonare the carriers. Those utilities bills for its delivery, but for many years did not get paid. The Power Authority does not bill, at least in the traditional sense. I'm sure there's some accounting. Just part of the State's budget.

The local utilities also provide power for station lighting and some signal operation. Getting them paid, when they do is like pulling teeth.

Without any doubt, the LIRR gives ZERO consideration to energy usage or cost and hasn't since the State's acquisition.