Railroad Forums 

• Trackside Bars, Hotels, and Restaurants in New England

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1415581  by Jeff Smith

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/connecti ... -works-ct/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In Old Saybrook.

Note: dusting off this topic and broadening it's scope to include food, hotels, etc.
 #1415590  by TomNelligan

I can attest from experience that Pizza Works in Old Saybrook is a fine place to grab a pie and a beer while waiting for a train. Unfortunately, though, the north side of the building (the track side) has a windowless wall that blocks a direct view of passing trains.

Now for a pizza restaurant that does have a view of the tracks there's always the Allston (Mass.) branch of the Regina's chain, which is located in the 1887 Boston & Albany station adjacent to the former Beacon Park yard. In fact some tables on the track side are just a few feet from the closest track, which can result in startled patrons when MBTA commuter trains rush by.
 #1415598  by Ridgefielder

Pretty much every "downtown" station on the New Haven main line in Fairfield County has at least one bar/restaurant in or adjacent to the station ("downtown" = more than a parking lot and a platform a la Green's Farms or Riverside). They range from the swanky (Tarantino Restaurant on Railroad Place in Westport) to the not-so-swanky (the pizza joint in the eastbound station at South Norwalk).

Away farther east, the deck of the Dog Watch Cafe in Stonington Borough https://goo.gl/maps/t1NobL5W39J2 has a Trains-photo-issue worthy view of the Shore Line main crossing the Lambert's Cove causeway.

And up in Litchfield County, The Collins Diner in Canaan is actually in the forecourt of Canaan Union Station https://goo.gl/maps/LfACyRbvHLM2, where once upon a time the Central New England crossed the Berkshire Line.

Somewhat related to this thread-- back in 2011 I mentioned the Berkshire Steel Rail Pale Ale at the Little Pub in Branchville (also still going strong, btw). I know nothing about this brewery other than they make good beer and are in Western Mass. However, in going to their website, it sure seems someone there knows his trains-- in addition to Steel Rail, their offerings include Gold Spike Kolsch and Hoosac Tunnel Amber Ale (with a locomotive emerging from the East Portal on the label.)
 #1415629  by NaugyRR

Aside from the diner, there's a couple pizza places in the immediate vicinity of the Canaan station, along with Rolf's hobby shop. The McDonalds in town has a railroad theme with plenty of pictures of trains on the walls and sits alongside the former CNE that the HRRC uses as a stub to reach the plant behind Stop & Shop.

In Kent there's a German restaurant, a pizza restaurant, and a few others in the heart of town which are within eyesight of the HRRC.

In Falls Village there's the Mountainside Cafe which is within walking distance to the Route 7 overpass of the HRRC near the high school. I haven't been to the cafe since it reopened, but we used to visit the prior incarnation frequently after school by crossing the tracks and cutting through the Vo-Ag's tree lot and the food was very good and reasonable.

West Cornwall has the Wandering Moose restaurant within eyesight of the HRRC, but I haven't been there since I was still in high school.

I haven't been to New Milford in awhile, or atleast across the river from 7 anyways. Dad used to take me to Lenny's barbershop across from the old station when I was a kid, and Mom would drag me to the gift shop next door, but I don't remember much for food, but this is going back to the mid-90's, so that's not saying much, haha.

Danbury's got PLENTY of food and dining options the closer you get to the museum.
 #1416032  by Tom M

Dover, NH, on the PAR District 2 main, offers Weeksie's Pizza, adjacent to the Chestnut Street crossing and across the track from the Amtrak station. Pizza, subs, and beer, some RR décor, and view of track. Downeasters and maybe 6-8 freights a day, though not all during restaurant hours. At the Central Avenue crossing is Dover House of Pizza, with probably the best view of the same trains. On the other side of the track is Cara Irish Pub, which has a wider menu but only one table with a decent view.
 #1419996  by ebtmikado

TRACKSIDE PIZZA in Wallingford, CT, is about a mile south of the Amtrak Wallingford station, on the Springfield Line.
It is in a former Philadelphia Broad Street Subway car, and situated right beside the track. With the second main track
being built now, and the commencement of CDOT's Hartford Line commuter rail service early next year, there will be
plenty of trains to keep you busy while enjoying the tasty pizza. Connecticut Southern provides the freight action. And of course, being a real Connecticut pizza place,
Foxon Park soda is also served. This is a MUST at an Italian pizza place in the Nutmeg State.

Lee
 #1420095  by Plate C

Haven't looked in here before even though it seems right up my alley. Not endorsing the food of any of these but here are a few more:

Bennington, VT, The Bennington Station
Located in an old station, no active line but a section of rail behind it has an old wooden caboose and boxcar.
https://www.benningtonstation.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brattleboro, VT Whetstone Station On NECR
http://www.whetstonestation.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Putnam, CT The Crossings Restaurant & Brew Pub On the P&W
https://www.facebook.com/thecrossingsre ... ndbrewpub/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1420399  by arthur d.

The old station at Exeter NH is a variety store with a breakfast/ lunch counter with a few windows to the main line

The old station at Durham NH is an ice cream stand.

The old station at Somersworth, last time I was there, was two separate restaurants, one at street level, one at track level. The one at track level was a popular watering hole for the locals. No idea what the clientele is like anymore.