Railroad Forums 

• Trackside Bars, Hotels, and Restaurants in New England

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#875808  by markhb

MEC407 wrote:
consist wrote:Also further west of there was a Margaritas mexican restaurant on St. John St. opposite the jail. Their back windows look across a parking lot at the main, but no patio.
Located in what was once the headquarters of the Maine Central, if I'm not mistaken.
That's correct.

To reply to consist further up the page, the former CJ Thirsty's location is now a Sun Tan City. CJ's themselves changed their name slightly and moved a little way up Forest Ave. In the same area, Venue Music Bar, in the building that once upon a time was Raoul's, shows a trackside deck in the Flash slideshow on their homepage. Beyond that, I am honestly not sure which of the other many establishments on Forest between Woodford's Corner and Deering Junction might have a view of the tracks available; in the immediate area of Morrill's Corner / Deering Jct. the ones that come immediately to mind are Bruno's, on Allen Ave. next to the tracks (and the lounge is on the rail side), and the McDonald's and Subway across the street, which of course don't have taps. You might also be able to see something from the dining area in the Wok Inn.
 #876355  by Watchman318

Byrne's Irish Pub and Scarlet Begonias in the new Brunswick Station on the Maine Eastern Rockland Branch. I'm not sure now if Byrne's has a view of the track, but Scarlet Begonias has an entrance from the platform.
Trackside Station, Rockland, ME. Right at the end of the Rockland Station Track on the MERR. Rail traffic doesn't really "go past," it just pulls in and stops, then backs out. (Or backs in, and then goes west. The "bunter" is pretty close to the door on the north side of the building.)

Re the Beverly Depot, mentioned earlier: I haven't been there for a long time, but the last time I was there, there was an actual length of rail as a footrest for patrons "bellied up to the bar." (If you get used to places that have a rail, and then go to a place without a rail, you can end up looking like you're trying to start a motorcycle. Don't ask me how I know that.)

Not within viewing distance of the track (and you might not even hear a distant train horn over the chatter and clatter inside) but worth a look if you're in the area is Reunion Station, at 21 Center St. in Damariscotta. Still occasionally called "The Train Wreck" by older locals, its dining areas are inside an old boxcar and an old caboose.
Google Maps has its location as further in from U.S. Rt. 1 than it really is, so here's a better look: <http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.060912 ... 01703&z=19>
Lots of railroad decor, lighted switch lamps hanging from the ceiling, etc.
 #882575  by GreenMtBoy

The Lincoln Inn @ Essex Jct,Vt. Located at the Junction switch on the NECR. Very popular bar on weekends
Tracks are 50' from the Inn. Food and drinks are great. Also across the street are numerous restraunts
ajacent to the tracks as well. Only problem,not many trains. The Waterbury Station in Waterbury,Vt is
a small coffee shop run by Vermont Coffee Roasters. A one million dollar restoration was completed a few
yrs ago. Beautiful station to see and enjoy. Ben & Jerry's is just up the road as well.
 #882852  by VRS-Eric

Union Street Tavern in Windsor, CT. It's in an old firehouse 50' from Amtrak's Connecticut River Line. Amtrak trains hourly, including the Vermonter. PanAm once a day, one way. Connecticut Southern once or twice a day, round trips. Good selection of beer on tap and GREAT food. I recommend the Sesame Sweet Garlic Wings.
 #899505  by A320

I remember back in the early 80s when you would get a free drink if you were at the bar when the MEC freight went through!

There used to be a bar/restaurant in Ashland, MA, directly adjacent to the CR tracks, and I seem to recall that they had the same deal; when a train went by, rattling the entire building, the house bought a round for everybody.

The place appeared to be an old house or an old hotel, and I think they had a narrow outdoor upstairs deck overlooking the track.

I believe the name of the place was John Stone's Inn.

(Mind you, it's been at least 30 years since I last set foot in Ashland...)
 #899542  by 3rdrail

Stone's Public House is still in business. Good food and bar, plus you're never alone - the place is haunted !

http://www.stonespublichouse.com/history.htm
 #899573  by A320

3rdrail wrote:Stone's Public House is still in business. Good food and bar, plus you're never alone - the place is haunted !

http://www.stonespublichouse.com/history.htm

Thanks, Paul!

That's good to hear. John Stone's was one of my favorite haunts when I lived in the area, along with Liam's Irish Tavern, which was right next to the old trolley barn in Framingham Centre.
 #900246  by Ridgefielder

The Little Pub, in Branchville, CT, is directly across Route 7 from MNRR's ex-New Haven Danbury Branch. You can see the station and tracks from the bar/dining room, and even better from the terrace. The parking lot is actually on the ROW for the Ridgefield Branch (they carry Berkshire "Steel Rail" pale ale too, which seems like an appropriate beverage for the location)
 #900469  by BowdoinStation

In Rutland, Vee Tee, where 75 to 80% of Vermont's rail traffic comes rumbling through, may I suggest "Chaser's Bar and Grill", on Evelyn Street. The deck looks right at the mainline as does some windows.. Great too see Amtrak coming into town, and the CLP264 heading out from Rutland to Whitehall NY.
 #901082  by Instructioncar

If you sit on the deck at Fratello's in Manchester, you can get a great view of the Bow coal train when it comes through. The hotel by the ballpark has an outdoor patio as well, but I'm not sure if you have a good view of the tracks from there.