Railroad Forums 

• Toilets on trains?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#147751  by AznSumtinSumtin

This is a very odd and disgusting question: Where do train operaters "eliminate their waste"? Are there toilets on board locomotives or do they wait until they reach a planned stop along their route. If there are toilets on board locomotives, what about the days where steam locos ruled the rails.

#147752  by DutchRailnut

These days retention toilets are used , the wast is dumped at major engine terminals into general sewer system.

On older locomotives the toilet just dumped on the tracks and nature took care of it, even if 50 trains a day used a line maybe only 3 engineers took a dump anyway. so not much more than what the average dog walker leaves on the railroad.

On steam engines the just dumped on the shovel or pee on the coal. and the evidence disapeared in the firebox.

#147753  by crazy_nip

for number 1, they just whip it out and let her rip out off the side of the walkway behind the cab

for number 2, they stop the train and find a nice tree to squat

for women, see mens #2

of course everyone knows that train crews have super human bladder and bowell control and only defecate or urinate before or after they are on duty

only emergencies call for in the field excretion of waste

IE: ate mexican for dinner the night before, drank a little too much prune juice, chugged one to many beers before coming on duty, etc...

#148150  by n01jd1

DutchRailnut wrote:These days retention toilets are used , the wast is dumped at major engine terminals into general sewer system.

On older locomotives the toilet just dumped on the tracks and nature took care of it, even if 50 trains a day used a line maybe only 3 engineers took a dump anyway. so not much more than what the average dog walker leaves on the railroad.

On steam engines the just dumped on the shovel or pee on the coal. and the evidence disapeared in the firebox.
While locomotives do have toilets, you wouldnt want to use them as they are usually filled to capacity, filthy or both. Most crews usually try to hold it untill they are stopped in a somewhere and relieve themselves behind a tree or between cars. In some cases if they cannot stop they will go out on the walkway and let it rip off the side.

#148321  by Joe

On freight locomotives, the toilet is in the nose. On P42s they are down a short hallway, behind the cab.

I think commuter railroads' locomotives don't have bathrooms but I could be wrong.

Anyone know the location of the restroom on F40s, F59PHs and PHIs, and MP36s (if there is one)?

#148612  by CSX Conductor

IIRC, F40's could have toilets in the nose as well. You are correct that some commuter agencies did not have them. The MBTA's fleet of F40's does not have them. It is cheaper, and one less thing they have to maintain (i.e. odors, emptying them, etc.).

#148670  by nickleinonen

they just whip it out and let her rip out off the side of the walkway behind the cab
i really hate when they do this, as it sprays the carbody with it, and when i have to work on them in the shop, i really don't like working with the smell of stale piss in the air...
 #148909  by Matt Langworthy

n01jd1 wrote:While locomotives do have toilets, you wouldnt want to use them as they are usually filled to capacity, filthy or both.
Quite true! I got to ride in the cab of a Conrail GP38 as they switched on the former Erie mainline in Elmira, NY. After an hour or so, I really had to go but one look at the toilet and I decided I could hold until we got back to the yard office! It's hard to believe that was 10 years ago last week! :wink:
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#149393  by mxdata

There is very little space in the nose of an F40 if it is equipped with both cab signal and Amtrak ACSES. The sand box takes up the extreme front of the nose, the nine aspect cab signal system card enclosure takes up most of the right side (with the event recorder connections and some other equipment underneath), the ACSES card enclosure is mounted on the left side (you can just barely get your hand around the front to the cutout switch), and the left side cab front wall has the cab heater and the layover heater, both of which project into the nose about a foot. When you go into the nose from the cab and want to work on the ACSES box, you have to close the door in back of you to get it out of your way.
 #150854  by B&M E7

Many locos are equipped with toilets but are NOT equipped with a fireman or other second person in the cab, so what good are toilets in the engine room or in the nose?
Coffee cups (with lids) work nicely for "minor" needs. For "major" unexpected emergancies, an empty plastic trash bag works rather nicely.
 #150873  by Guest

B&M E7 wrote:Many locos are equipped with toilets but are NOT equipped with a fireman or other second person in the cab, so what good are toilets in the engine room or in the nose?
Where does the conductor/brakeman/ fireman sit if not in the cab?

-r

#150914  by AmtrakFan

Metrolink doesn't have Toliets in their units.
Last edited by AmtrakFan on Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#150931  by Guest

AmtrakFan wrote:Tolitits
Inflamation of the toilet?

-r

#151022  by thebigc

nickleinonen wrote: i really hate when they do this, as it sprays the carbody with it, and when i have to work on them in the shop, i really don't like working with the smell of stale piss in the air...
You should know by now how notoriously "considerate" railroaders can be.

Joe wrote: I think commuter railroads' locomotives don't have bathrooms but I could be wrong.
You're right, you are wrong!:-D All of our NJ Transit road units are equipped with toilets. And let the user beware!

#151114  by slchub

#1 in the nose of the cab or on the ground when stopped in a siding

#2 in one of the rear motors as you do not want to foul the cab of the leader

Don't eat at Penny's Diner before heading out else you will be heading to the second motor before you reach Peru...MP825