Railroad Forums 

• Toilets on trains?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#151653  by B&M E7

RAZOR: you wrote (asked):
Where does the Conductor/brakeman sit if NOT in the cab?.
ANSWER: I am referring to passenger trains where the Conductor and brakeman are back in the body of the train. Engineer is up there all alone, sometimes not seeing ANYBOSY for more than 3 hours at a time.
- - - Doesn't that make you feel real safe as you relax in the BISTRO CAR of the Acela, moving along at 150mph knowing that the engineer is all alone up there, with no "CO-PILOT" up there to assist him (or help keep him wake !)
Want a cab ride ? tee hee ![/b][/i]

#151942  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

B&m E7

If he hasnt seen any BOSY then heck no I don't want to ride.

Nashville Newbie

#152047  by SRS125

The only thing that i ever heard about a Restroom on a locomotive is that there 20 degrees hotter in the summer and 20 degrees colder in the winter in eather season they both could gag a magot eather way.
Last edited by SRS125 on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

#152281  by blippo

Norfolk Southern is a class act railroad. I remember when we first started using their motors for the lead not really so long ago. We had a local freight from Alexandria, VA- Phila , they didn't have toilets for taking a dump on their road motors. They were classy enough to provide you a 5 gallon bucket in the nose of the cab where the toilet should have/could have been. Oh and they gave you a plastic bag also so you can place it in the bucket and take a dump in it. They had identification tags on the bag incase you threw the bags out the window they can trace it back to you. What I was told is the train crews were throwing them out the window and the farmers cows would consume them.
Conrail and CSX provided toilets in the short hood of their road motors at that time. I know now probably NS has changed this because of some pressure put on them by law and/or unions. As much as I love railroading, I would never want to work for NS.

#152391  by SRS125

I beleve that NS was ordered to put toilets in there units after haveing a few law suets put against them by some of there newley hired Female engineers a few years ago.

#152442  by Guest

blippo wrote:What I was told is the train crews were throwing them out the window and the farmers cows would consume them.
Why would a cow want to eat a sack of crap?

-r
Last edited by Guest on Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #152772  by CSX Conductor

B&M E7 wrote: Doesn't that make you feel real safe as you relax in the BISTRO CAR of the Acela, moving along at 150mph knowing that the engineer is all alone up there, with no "CO-PILOT" up there to assist him (or help keep him wake !)
Want a cab ride ? tee hee ![/b][/i]
Amtrak's engineers running Acela's have plenty of train control gadgets assisting them. If they are too deep of a nap when they go from a 150MPH stretch into a 125mph spot and don't re-act quick enough, the ACSES will give them a penalty. (At least between New Haven & Boston, LOL). I believe everywhere else on the route has cab signals, which is also a life saver on those long trips with not much sleep. :-)

#153207  by slchub

Blippo,

Most of the road units that NS has now have vaccuum toilets similar to those on board an jet. I am not sure why but some even have a wash basis. I am not sure I would use it to wash up with. Very nice indeed. However, after running around the UP system in a consist for awhile without having been maintainded, they are just as dirty as the UP road units. BNSF road units are nice as well.

#153661  by CSX Conductor

Hehehe. Ok boys, take it outside. :P

As for SCHLUB: Union Pacific engines, as dirty as you claim they might get are still much better maintained than CSXT ones. :( Unfortunately on the road between Boston & Selkirk we can't use the BNSF or UP locomotives because they don't have cab signals.

As for washing your hands with the basin, is it running water?

#153831  by Guest

CSX Conductor wrote:Hehehe. Ok boys, take it outside. :P
As for washing your hands with the basin, is it running water?
Nope. Gotta' use bottled water.

-r

In the land of the witless, the half-wit is king.

#153862  by SRS125

if you want to see pics of what a dirty toilet looks like in a CSX unit go to http://www.csxsucks.com there are a few pics of how nasty they look.
 #154125  by Joe

B&M E7 wrote:Engineer is up there all alone, sometimes not seeing ANYBODY for more than 3 hours at a time.
That's why they invented cell phones!
if you want to see pics of what a dirty toilet looks like in a CSX unit go to http://www.csxsucks.com there are a few pics of how nasty they look.
Actually it's www.csx-sucks.com .

#154393  by mxdata

That toilet actually looks a lot cleaner than one I photographed on Erie Lackawanna E8A #818 back in the 1970s.

#154877  by nickleinonen

those csx shat houses make the ones on most of cn's power look like 5 star stuff :wink:

#166318  by MR77100

I read in my book on the CF7's about all of them,(except the first two), having chemical toilets. Are these the same as retention toilets?