• The Flying Yankee

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Teamdriver

Why not , I mean the whenever to be built new and improved South Station Transportation -arama park , lay down some rail along the channel , make it a tourist attraction. It will also serve as the metaphysical link to North Station. ( Dont think there is enough room over there anyway, would NorthPoint be better ?
  by MEC407

I wasn't saying it's a bad idea; I was just curious as to your reasoning.

The next question becomes, "who's going to pay for that?" I think we've determined that private donations just aren't going to cut it, and I don't get the impression that the Commonwealth is so flush with cash that they'd be willing to buy an antique train and move it from NH to MA, let alone finish the restoration and then maintain it indefinitely. I also don't get the impression that the State of New Hampshire would just let it go without a fight. As anti-rail as they can often be, I get the feeling that they'd dig in their heels and hold onto it just for spite, rather than do something that would be seen as an admission that MA can do things better than NH can.

Honestly, what we need — and I'm not being facetious — is a millionaire or billionaire who can buy the train and put his/her own money into it, then donate it to a group that has the time/space/skill to maintain it, and set up a trust for ongoing maintenance. Serious question: are there any millionaire/billionaire rail buffs in New England?
  by 3rdrail

Another possibility is that there will undoubtably be federal money in the MBTA's expansion and revitalization of South Station. The Feds would have more bargaining power than the Commonwealth in pulling out what is by most opinion a "dead in the water" project. Like the song goes, "if you can't love the one you love, love the one that you're with." As a rail buff, I'd love to see the old gal standing all polished up and glistening in the middle of the concourse, but this really would be right on many levels- historically, as there are no other similiarlly available engines which served South Station as a base, and from a MBTA/Amtrak marketing point of view, in that it would promote "taking the train" (you don't see a Boeing Stratocruiser at Logan).
  by NRGeep

When was the FY used out of South Station? No doubt the NH Comet did.
  by 3rdrail

Good question, Mr. Geep, and if I am to be honest, I'm not really sure. Probably somebody else on this thread may know the answer. I had in my mind that having the Yankee would be historically correct in Boston generally as a terminal as opposed to South Station specifically, which I could of stated better. Technically, Boston's North Union Station and Portland's Union Station would be the two stations which equally could warrant such distinction, however sadly as we know, North Station is currently a mere shadow of it's former self and Union Station exists only in the memory of old timers. So, we are left with South Union Station currently as a viable terminal both historical by city as well as by opportunity it seems with word of expansion and renewal.
  by mxdata

I think this project is just about done. Not done in the sense of being completed, but done in the sense that people have no confidence any more that the donations are being used for a good purpose. Looking at data on railroad carloadings from AAR and petroleum usage information from EIA, it looks like we are rapidly headed into another major recession, and if that is the case, I doubt that this project is going to be making any progress any time soon, unless a very wealthy donor comes along like MEC407 said.

MX
  by Teamdriver

Too bad there cant be some money extracted from the NorrthPoint development, or maybe shame them to chip in.After all , they are converting a rail yard , and it would be good joss for them. Maybe NP can make a little nook for it somewhere , maybe the T can blend it in somewhere on the new Green line, at least polish the shell up , it doesnt have to be road worthy.
  by mxdata

I think it would look very nice as a stationary display at one of the parking lots that serve the hiking trails in Crawford Notch.

MX
  by 3rdrail

I agree that the project "is done" as you say, however my opinion of when is about the time that the Yankee was rolled out of Edaville. Even now, if it were the best economic conditions, a project like this needs dedication without ouside "interests".
  by mxdata

It was "done" when it was at Edaville too, Paul. They really didn't care very much about it, other than that it might have some cash value for sale or scrap. They had it on display for several decades with no caps on the stacks and the rain running down into the air box of the engine made it look like the wreck of the TITANIC.

MX
  by 3rdrail

Yup, I know- had a long love affair with the gal while she was there. The Edaville group looked at her as scenery (at least in later years), believing that she would never run again, leaving her out exposed to the elements. The good news (finally !) is that there wasn't much to rust due to it's construction, but certainly internal components such as the engine would suffer. Having said this, somehow I find this "neglect" more palatable than selling off parts for a "chocolate triliogy".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Ridgefielder

MEC407 wrote:Honestly, what we need — and I'm not being facetious — is a millionaire or billionaire who can buy the train and put his/her own money into it, then donate it to a group that has the time/space/skill to maintain it, and set up a trust for ongoing maintenance. Serious question: are there any millionaire/billionaire rail buffs in New England?
Isn't there one family that owns a controlling interest in the Providence & Worcester? And there's always the Mellons... ;-)

Seriously, though, I think all of us need to remember a couple of things.

Number one, the Yankee isn't scrapped, and nobody's saying she will be anytime soon. No offense to the steam navigation buffs on here, but she's a damn sight more significant as an historical artifact than the S.S. Nobska. I think the Smithsonian would step in and acquire her before she went that way-- they'd probably love to have her for the National Museum of Industrial History they're building in Bethlehem, PA.

Number two, as long as she is still extant, you never know what can happen. After all, Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington #9, now under restoration, spent 60-odd years sitting in a shed on a farm in Tolland County, Conn.
  by 3rdrail

Hi Rf- In essence, I happen to agree with you, particularly if a stationairy rebuild would be considered a "win". However, not wanting to represent the Boogy Man's opinion here, but I do have a nagging feeling that not is all comfy-cosy and non maleviolent in the world of vehicular hulks. We are most certainly in a state of national recession and some say headed towards a down right depression. One half hour watching the news will convince anyone of that. We know that metal car bodies have been out right stolen, ie. the Red Hook PCC cars which just "disappered" from a pier with the security company "nowin nuttin". Particularly, stainless steel is quite valuable on the market these days. I'll make a confession and admit that I like to see this topic come alive from time to time and the reason is that if nothing else, it keeps the Yankee in our thoughts. Hopefully, it's enough publicity to warrant someone's attention should they see a flatbed tractor-trailer with Yankee's cars covered with a tarp travelling down Rte. 16 some night en route to a waiting freighter headed to the Orient. Unfortunately, that's the cost of forgetting due to a "somebody will save it" mentality. So, just to possibly keep the Yankee from being a future topic on "Dateline", let's continue to problem solve and think if there might be a resolution-even if we can't come to an immediate one.
  by Ridgefielder

3rdrail wrote:Hi Rf- In essence, I happen to agree with you, particularly if a stationairy rebuild would be considered a "win". However, not wanting to represent the Boogy Man's opinion here, but I do have a nagging feeling that not is all comfy-cosy and non maleviolent in the world of vehicular hulks. We are most certainly in a state of national recession and some say headed towards a down right depression. One half hour watching the news will convince anyone of that. We know that metal car bodies have been out right stolen, ie. the Red Hook PCC cars which just "disappered" from a pier with the security company "nowin nuttin". Particularly, stainless steel is quite valuable on the market these days. I'll make a confession and admit that I like to see this topic come alive from time to time and the reason is that if nothing else, it keeps the Yankee in our thoughts. Hopefully, it's enough publicity to warrant someone's attention should they see a flatbed tractor-trailer with Yankee's cars covered with a tarp travelling down Rte. 16 some night en route to a waiting freighter headed to the Orient. Unfortunately, that's the cost of forgetting due to a "somebody will save it" mentality. So, just to possibly keep the Yankee from being a future topic on "Dateline", let's continue to problem solve and think if there might be a resolution-even if we can't come to an immediate one.
Well in that spirit- has anyone contacted the Smithsonian? It would be interesting to hear their thoughts, at least.
  by Otto Vondrak

3rdrail wrote:I'm "sharpening my axe", Otto ? Really ??!
Yes, really, if I'm reading your posts correctly. I apologize if that is not the case.
As far as the deleted posts are concerned, during the period we are speaking about you were the Site Administrator.
If I deleted anyone's posts years ago, it was probably because I felt it didn't contribute anything to the conversation (Examples: hyperbole, emotional outbursts, oblique satirical references, etc.). I haven't been the site admin for many years. I apologize if I offended you in anyway, I have no personal grudge against you or anyone else. What does any of this have to do with the current state of the Flying Yankee?

-otto-