Railroad Forums 

• Susquehanna Survivors, and all-time roster.

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#334366  by scottychaos

Probably the last in my "surviving locomotives" series..
No one has ever created an all-time roster!
I felt it needed to be done! :P

building the all-time STEAM roster is going to be tricky..its accurate for 1940-1947, but before 1940 its not complete..

The diesel roster is well documented, and I believe this list is complete for diesels, but likely not 100% accurate yet...so comments, additions, and corrections are welcome and wanted!

here it is:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/susquehanna/

thanks,
Scot

#334405  by washingtonsecondary

A couple of minor corrections. B40's 4010-4048 were not returned to CSX in 2000. They were returned in 1989/1990 (possibly 1991) when NYS&W stopped operating the D&H. And if memory serves me correctly, 3016 is a SD40T-2 like 3010-3014. But if it was rebuilt to SD40-2 standards, I would stand corrected.

hi

#334422  by thebigham

Thanks, Scott!!

Great work.

#334427  by metman499

The M-1 is on the Bel Del and is owned by the URHS and run by the NYS&W T&HS. I believe the T&HS also owns/leases the M2 and M3. See http://www.nyswths.org/mechanical.htm

#334469  by RichM

The first four were tag-along leases with the first Conrail order. The remainder were painted in Susquehanna yellow but the contracting party was CSX, as someone else mentioned elsewhere they were taken on to allow DO to operate the D&H rights trains across the tier when Guilford severed their ownsership.

As soon as the permanent DO offer to continue D&H operations was rejected, the engines were gradually returned to CSX.

There was a relatively significant gap in time between the first four and the rest.

#334480  by Steve F45

If the tunnel motors that have been rebuilt were built to regular sd40-2 specs, would they keep the large intake at the rear? Only reason i ask, 3010 just came back from rebuild, again, and was marked sd40-2.

#334497  by scottychaos

2005Vdub wrote:If the tunnel motors that have been rebuilt were built to regular sd40-2 specs, would they keep the large intake at the rear? Only reason i ask, 3010 just came back from rebuild, again, and was marked sd40-2.
yeah, they would keep the intake, since the loco works fine that way and there is no need to change it.

making an engine a SD40-2 is mainly electrical and engine upgrades, it has nothing to do with the external carbody..
The locos are now SD40-2's "internally"...the outside carbody can be anything..

the same thing happens with all kinds of rebuilds..

I should technically re-label those engines as being SD40-2's now, and indicate they were originally built as SD40T-2's..

although technically all SD40T-2 were originally simply a SD40-2 with the "tunnel" carbody! so they were already built to "SD40-2 specs" to begin with...hmmm..

So if they were already SD40-2's internally when they were new, with a tunnel-motor body..what is different after the Dansville rebuilding??
why wouldnt they still be considered SD40T-2's??

Scot

#334527  by Steve F45

thats what im wondering, was the T left off intentially or by accident?

#334555  by scottychaos

I was just trying to find the status of the two RS3's, 101 and 104.
a google quest found them.. :(

Scot

#335872  by Steve F45

scotty, i sent you an email about the nysw steamers #'s 13 and 33 i believe. I found them on postcards on ebay.

I also have a pic of 3040 if you need it.

#335965  by Alcoman

Scott:
The M-3 that is currently owned by the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic is operating and was purchased from the Louisville,New Albany & Corydon RR .

#336119  by GOLDEN-ARM

I would say, that whether they are "T"'s, or straight 40-2's, they are really just 40's, in the eyes of the owners. The "T" meant something, to the manager of motive power, on the SP, or the DRGW, who assigned locos to trains, based on tonnage and territory the train was going to travel on. Putting 10 locos on a train, the Power Desk needed to see "T" units on paper, for assignment to trains operating in tunnel territory. Most would know the units by number, but you needed positive ID on them. The NYSW is running them as they run everything else. The "T" designation relates only to a lowered air intake, and repositioned radiators. The rebuilder might not have a letter "T", as it's not on any other units, and it really is, just a SD-40-2. As Scot stated already, despite the cool looking intake, the Dash-2 electrical cabinet is the same, as the locos are really Dash-2's after all.

#336145  by scottychaos

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I would say, that whether they are "T"'s, or straight 40-2's, they are really just 40's, in the eyes of the owners. The "T" meant something, to the manager of motive power, on the SP, or the DRGW, who assigned locos to trains, based on tonnage and territory the train was going to travel on. Putting 10 locos on a train, the Power Desk needed to see "T" units on paper, for assignment to trains operating in tunnel territory. Most would know the units by number, but you needed positive ID on them. The NYSW is running them as they run everything else. The "T" designation relates only to a lowered air intake, and repositioned radiators. The rebuilder might not have a letter "T", as it's not on any other units, and it really is, just a SD-40-2. As Scot stated already, despite the cool looking intake, the Dash-2 electrical cabinet is the same, as the locos are really Dash-2's after all.
GA,
good points..thanks.
I think from a railfan perspective most people will continue to refer to them as SD40T-2's, regardless of what Dansville stencils on the cab side.
I will probably also continue to label them as T-2's on the list.
I think that makes the most sense.

Scot