Railroad Forums 

• Susquehanna Survivors, and all-time roster.

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#336245  by scottychaos

2005Vdub wrote:scotty, i sent you an email about the nysw steamers #'s 13 and 33 i believe. I found them on postcards on ebay.

I also have a pic of 3040 if you need it.
thanks Vdub,
I checked ebay (and completed items) but didnt find those pics..

yes, I would like a shot of 3040!
thanks,
Scot

#336320  by scottychaos

I would like to add some "years of NYSW service" for some of these engines..

SD45's - when did they arrive and when did they leave? (arrive and leave the Susquehanna I mean.)
and why did NYSW sell off all those operating locomotives?

The two remaining C430's..when did they arrive and leave?

E-units..I have the "left" date (2006) but not the "arrived" date.

RS1 240, when was she sold?

GP20's - arrived?

GP38 and the two GP40's - arrived?

and I think thats it..the B40-8's and everything else is covered.

thanks,
Scot

#336369  by Steve F45

scotty email was sent with links to the ebay auctions and pics for 3040.

#336375  by CarterB

Can anyone tell me why the SusieQ used small diameter driver 2-10-0s for commuter service???

#336476  by Jtgshu

scotty all the info on the SD45's and F45's on their acquisition from the BN is in the July 1987 I believe it is, issue of Railfan and Railroad - mine is buried up in the attic somewhere, next time im up there ill dig it out. There was also a roster in that issue as well. I don't think it was complete, as yours seems to be much larger than that one was.

#336486  by RichM

The Decapods are pretty well documented. They were built for the Russian railroads, the order was never delivered as a result of the Russian Revolution and were sold to several Eastern US railroads around 1919. Erie got a load of them. They were re-gauged for US standard, but that was pretty much it as far as additional modifications from the original order.
Most of what was written about them is that they performed well on the light-railed, lightly ballasted, up and down curvy-profiled Susquehanna during the time the property was leased by the Erie. I think their use in passenger service was sort of... they were on the property and they ran. Throughout the twenties and the thirties, NYS&W didn't have much say in locomtive selection or purchasing.

#336528  by EDM5970

240 was purchased from the NYSW in 1982, and after being damaged while out on lease, was sold to George Hockaday, who later resold the unit to the Tioga Central, maybe in 1985 or '86.

#336710  by sallenparks

Scotty the C430's were on the ready track at Bingo or in this case departier track as of 5/25/01 which would of been a Thursday and were gone by the following Thursday as my dad and I had guessed they were sold I know the date because it's time coded on my 35mm print and my dad and I mostly railfan on Thursday.So they had left with in that week.Sorry this is so long just trying to help keep up the good work love the rosters.

#336720  by sallenparks

Just a little more for my above post they were shot again two months later OOS in Lakeville on 7/27/01.So the time line is a little long but pretty sure within the week after 5/25/01 they left Bingo hope this helps some.

#339991  by amoreho1

2012 (gp38) is back in service

#349669  by gravelyfan

CarterB wrote:Can anyone tell me why the SusieQ used small diameter driver 2-10-0s for commuter service???
The decapods were used almost exclusively for freight service. Back in the 1940's there were upwards of 25 daily freight assignments (mostly yard/locals) on the NYS&W.

The decapods did pull the mixed train between Butler and Sussex until it was discontinued in the early 1940's.

The other steam locomotive types (mostly 10-wheelers, and a couple of pacifics, IIRC) on the roster were the commuter power.

#350383  by lvrr325

scottychaos wrote:I would like to add some "years of NYSW service" for some of these engines..

SD45's - when did they arrive and when did they leave? (arrive and leave the Susquehanna I mean.)
and why did NYSW sell off all those operating locomotives?

They were worn when they got them and worn just about right out when they let the units go, it was cheaper to replace them with other used power than to rebuild them. I believe these units were leased and the lease was not renewed. At least one unit ran on MRL in NYS&W colors - I think the other F45 did also.

UP let go of a lot of surplus units and not all were in bad shape, but they all sold for dirt cheap prices, some for scrap price or not very much more than that. Thus the tunnel motors.
The two remaining C430's..when did they arrive and leave?
arrived 1982-3, well documented in various magazines of the era -

E-units..I have the "left" date (2006) but not the "arrived" date.
These showed up by surprise just after Ontrack opened up, it was in August but I forget what year.
RS1 240, when was she sold?

GP20's - arrived?
These cycled in and out from the TP&W, technically you could say they arrived effective with the sale of the TP&W. I don't have a date for that, but it should be easy to find via Google. They kept the best three out of the units they'd overhauled in Utica, IIRC. NYS&W also briefly owned TP&W #1500, a former B&LE F7, which is now on the Adarondack RR - I don't believe they ever operated the unit, however.

GP38 and the two GP40's - arrived?

and I think thats it..the B40-8's and everything else is covered.

thanks,
Scot
If you get a chance to buy a complete set of X2200 South back issues, consider it, they contain all of this information and lots more. I may have the ones with dates etc. for the C430s.
Last edited by lvrr325 on Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#350700  by amoreho1

3042 (gp40) was purchase from bdlx summer 2006

#380648  by amoreho1

bdlx 2208 (U23B) purchased now 2302
Last edited by amoreho1 on Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.