Railroad Forums 

• STRIKE: FORCE MAJEURE

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1606441  by John_Perkowski

Trains Magazine the following routes are embargoed as of tomorrow (13 September 2022) in preparation for a strike:

Trains 3&4, the Southwest Chief
Trains from 5&6, the California Zephyr
Trains 7&8, the Empire builder
The portion of the Texas eagle from San Antonio to Los Angeles.

In addition, the notice in Trains reports additional stoppage announcements may be made on or after 16 September.

No information is on the Amtrak website at this hour.
 #1606464  by justalurker66

Don't start any train that will not be at the scheduled terminal by the strike deadline. Limit the number of passengers potentially stranded on a train.
 #1606468  by eolesen

Yep. Until there's a settlement or an imposed contract, you have to assume for the worst and hope for the best.

The union is claiming that declaring an embargo pre-emptively is using shippers and customers as Pawns... Clearly they don't like the fact that the potential for actual disruption is being minimized.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1606483  by Gilbert B Norman

justalurker66 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:02 am Don't start any train that will not be at the scheduled terminal by the strike deadline.
Mr. Lurker, both Amtrak and the other passenger train operators do not wish to be party to some of the shenanigans that occurred some sixty years ago.

There were times back then when approval to discontinue a passenger train was received, that train simply dumped its passengers at the next station and proceeded deadhead to its terminal. Worst offender was reported to be the SRY.

There was even an Amtrak-era instance of such occurring during '73 on the PC Harlem Division. There was a dispute whether the NY-Chatham trains were of the exempt from RPSA70 "commuter trains" or were "intercity". That matter went to Appellate level. A ruling came down while one of these trains was enroute that they were "intercity". Amtrak previously said "not interested", so the passengers were "put off" (think it occurred at Pawling, NY; 20 miles North of Brewster where the service was deemed "commuter") and that was that.

RPSA70 wisely provided the trains originating their runs on A-Day Eve would continue to their destination. This resulted in trains on the road until May 2 operating for railroad account.
 #1606499  by STrRedWolf

Amtrak finally updated their site.
Amtrak is closely monitoring ongoing freight rail management—labor contract negotiations. While these negotiations do not involve Amtrak or the Amtrak workforce, many of our trains operate over freight railroad tracks. Because the parties have not yet reached a resolution, Amtrak has begun to make initial service adjustments in response to a possible freight railroad service interruption that could occur later this week. If your train is canceled, we will attempt to notify you at least 24 hours in advance at the contact information you provided when making a reservation—as well as offer the opportunity to receive a full refund.

Note: In the Northeast, between Boston, New York and Washington there will be no impact to Acela, and only minimal changes are expected to Northeast Regional services. In addition, Empire Service between New York and Albany; Keystone Service between New York and Harrisburg; the Amtrak Hartford Line between New Haven and Springfield, MA; and the Downeaster between Boston and Brunswick, ME will not be impacted.
 #1606503  by John_Perkowski

Amtrak assumes there will not be a picket line at termini and near locker rooms. That’s probably not the surest thing bet ever made. NS and CSX rent time on the corridor from Amtrak. I’d be planning a picket line at Sunnyside and DC Union…
 #1606506  by Gilbert B Norman

John_Perkowski wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:32 pm Amtrak assumes there will not be a picket line at termini and near locker rooms. That’s probably not the surest thing bet ever made.
Colonel, such a picket line could be construed as a Secondary Boycott- prohibited by the first of The Trilogy, or the Wagner Act.

So Amtrak would have the law of the land on their side; any such line would be gone as soon as a judge could be kicked out of bed to sign a TRO - Temporary Restraining Order.
 #1606510  by markhb

I am surprised that the Downeaster is "not affected" by the potential strike, given that it travels on CSX rails in Maine and New Hampshire.
 #1606513  by WhartonAndNorthern

markhb wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:51 pm I am surprised that the Downeaster is "not affected" by the potential strike, given that it travels on CSX rails in Maine and New Hampshire.
To me that suggests full integration of former Pan Am (Springfield Terminal) crews into CSX labor agreements hasnot occurred. If you look at the Presidential Emergency Board report, you don't see Springfield Terminal listed as one of the carriers of the National Carriers' Conference Committee. This suggests that ST/Pan Am had its own agreements in place with the relevant unions.

As I recall, Pan Am/Guilford owned the Boston and Maine, the Maine Central, Springfield Terminal (small railway in Vermont) and Portland Terminal Company (not to be confused with Portland Terminal Railroad Company in Oregon). After a labor dispute the B&M and/or MEC crews were locked out and the railroad was operated under Springfield Terminal's labor agreements.
 #1606514  by STrRedWolf

markhb wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:51 pm I am surprised that the Downeaster is "not affected" by the potential strike, given that it travels on CSX rails in Maine and New Hampshire.
It may be. Who dispatches for the Downeaster?

Metra in the Chicago area just issued it's own warning. In short, they'll be down to two lines that they fully own.
 #1606517  by theMainer

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:49 pm
It may be. Who dispatches for the Downeaster?

Metra in the Chicago area just issued it's own warning. In short, they'll be down to two lines that they fully own.
AFAIK Pan Am's Radio Dispatching hasn't switched over to CSX's in Jacksonville yet. This means that the Dispatch Center in Billerica, MA won't be affected by any strike as they are still under Pan Am/ST labor agreements.
 #1606534  by nomis

No and No.