Railroad Forums 

• St. James NYA service

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#427856  by Spartan Phalanx

Service to Ideal Steel in St. James still going on?

#481555  by Spartan Phalanx

Service to Ideal Steel got the axe by NYA along with service to the lumber yard in Port Jefferson or will they take shipments at the team track in Greenlawn?

#495855  by shmshm

simple port jeff freight question:
the last time i caught any boxcars in PJ was probably about 6 months ago. they were parked on that strange siding that is kind of built into the road a few hundred feet east of the PJ station platform. i was excited to actually see some boxcars here, and i checked repeatedly within the months following, but never again caught any boxcars. was this an unlucky coincidence.. or is there simply no more freight service in PJ?

#496000  by phantom

nothing east of Duke at present; that is actually where they turn for they're customers in Huntington.

#496067  by SOO4601

I've been told from the engineer RS50 (I believe) before he left Pine Aire that there isn't anymore freight service to Port Jeff. (I heard this around 2 months ago). It's a real shame for us that live east of Duke that we won't see anymore freights.

Dietrich

#496146  by shmshm

ah! thats unfortunate. maybe there's a chance the freight will return in the future? who knows. i remember a time about 2 years ago when the siding/small yard next to 'fun for all' was filled with those rail carrier cars for a long time. i would even be happy if those came through!

#496167  by SOO4601

That would definately be nice. I remember back a few years to 2003 or 2004 when my dad and I caught 270 sitting in Smithtown with the original NY&A paint. She was facing east and waiting for a LIRR train to pass. We talked with the fireman and engineer about what ever to the FL9s (At that point I really didn't know too much about the railroad) and things of that sort.

I miss the days of when I could easily hear LIRR freight trains going through areas on the PJ Branch. Those were the days.

Dietrich

#499635  by John 61

On my way to King Kullen this morning I just happened to catch the LIRR work train pulling out four empty LIRR gondolas. They already had the crossing at northern Blvd. blocked with the cars and were closing up the switch when I passed by. I was able to get just one photo and a video of them leaving westbound. Sometimes I wait and nothing ever shows up and today I just happened to come across this move. I usually have my camera with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaVblouwpZ8

#508205  by shmshm

ah nice picture. is that a frequent load that comes in and out? or was it just there for maintnence on another part of the line..

#508230  by SOO4601

That was a maintenance move which was just a one time thing. For awhile a few months ago, like mentioned above, Ideal Steel was taking in carloads of steel being shipped on bulkheads. These cars were pushed into the team track and then when they were fully unloaded they would be picked up.