• Sprinter ACS-64 Electric Loco: Siemens.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ACeInTheHole

ThirdRail7 wrote:
beanbag wrote:Oh I completely understand the purpose of test trains ThirdRail I was just rather surprised that the locomotive was released with the feature in the first place. I thought it had been approved or something, good to know its a fluke and will be corrected in short order. Whats the status of the other four completed units? I know 604 is on its way but what about 600, 601 and 603? Where are they and what is being done with them?

The engine is not released Beanbag. It is still being tested. That is why it is on a test train. 600 and 601 are still being tested in Pueblo and the 603 is testing in Upstate NY. 602 is testing on the NEC.

Now, what's the key word in all of those sentences?
I meant released from the factory with said feature designed in. I never meant released for revenue service. I didnt think I had to clarify what I meant that much.
  by ThirdRail7

beanbag wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:
beanbag wrote:Oh I completely understand the purpose of test trains ThirdRail I was just rather surprised that the locomotive was released with the feature in the first place. I thought it had been approved or something, good to know its a fluke and will be corrected in short order. Whats the status of the other four completed units? I know 604 is on its way but what about 600, 601 and 603? Where are they and what is being done with them?

The engine is not released Beanbag. It is still being tested. That is why it is on a test train. 600 and 601 are still being tested in Pueblo and the 603 is testing in Upstate NY. 602 is testing on the NEC.

Now, what's the key word in all of those sentences?
I meant released from the factory with said feature designed in. I never meant released for revenue service. I didnt think I had to clarify what I meant that much.
It is not a feature. The factory is not equipped with catenary that was built between the early 1900s and the 1930's . This is why (let's try this again) they run test trains. This is so they can see what actually occurs under the prevailing conditions and adjust accordingly.
  by MBTA1016

I saw a video of the new loco passing the Westwood/RTE128 station. It had a couple passenger cars along with a toaster on the end. I don't know what direction it was heading in. It's nice to see a new look on amtrak power.
  by chrisf

lirr42 wrote:Plus the blinking is likely exaggerated by the camera so it is probably not all that bad (just take a look at videos of the NYC subway cars with front LED route indicators, most of those look all loopy when being filmed).
I suspect that the flickering of the LED headlights and ditch lights is completely invisible to the naked eye. The "Train approaching" LED signs around Boston all appear to flicker on video but don't appear to be flickering when viewed in person.
  by JR4815D2

chrisf wrote:
lirr42 wrote:Plus the blinking is likely exaggerated by the camera so it is probably not all that bad (just take a look at videos of the NYC subway cars with front LED route indicators, most of those look all loopy when being filmed).
I suspect that the flickering of the LED headlights and ditch lights is completely invisible to the naked eye. The "Train approaching" LED signs around Boston all appear to flicker on video but don't appear to be flickering when viewed in person.

LED light tend to produce this effect because of the pulsation, invisible to human eyes. NTSC (USA) is 60Hz and PAL (Europe) is 50Hz. If you filmed higher than 1/60 you will get this effect.
  by MBTA1016

NHAirline that was the exact consist in the video. Sprinter leading with a toaster bringing up the rear. When are the next couple locos due to Amtrak?
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Air Line, would you share with the Forum the location at which your photos were taken?

Obviouly the East End; new caternary poles and those decaying structures certainly look to be of New Haven origin.
  by DutchRailnut

emd645e3 wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:From SSrendon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Uewh_HvzU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Did they pick Amfleets for this consist based on wheel flatness? Jeez.
The wheels were fine going eastbound, so either testing caused it, or a defective slip/slide panel on those two cars.
  by Tadman

I, too, am curious where that decaying brick structure (freight house?) is. Great pics.

Also, is the toaster there in case of failure or is it in regen to provide a load? From what I understand, GE-Erie tests new locomotives by placing a spare locomotive in regen in a short consist and pulling that around, simulating a heavier load.
  by fl9m2004

Looks like either Guilford or Branford
But not sure haven't been up that way since before sle started New London service on weekends