Railroad Forums 

• Sprinter ACS-64 Electric Loco: Siemens.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1212739  by Fan Railer

DutchRailnut wrote:
emd645e3 wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:From SSrendon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Uewh_HvzU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Did they pick Amfleets for this consist based on wheel flatness? Jeez.
The wheels were fine going eastbound, so either testing caused it, or a defective slip/slide panel on those two cars.
The word is they did go into emergency at least once along the MNR section of the NEC.
From Train 538: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOnFDTVaVUA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1212766  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Tadman wrote:I, too, am curious where that decaying brick structure (freight house?) is. Great pics.

Also, is the toaster there in case of failure or is it in regen to provide a load? From what I understand, GE-Erie tests new locomotives by placing a spare locomotive in regen in a short consist and pulling that around, simulating a heavier load.
Yes, just in case during testing she completely dies, boot up the Toaster and away you go
 #1212768  by fl9m2004

That was really nice videos of the test train
Being how one completed a round trip with some minor issues
Wonder when the next one will get built and head up this way
Hopefully before the first leafs are on tracks
 #1212783  by MBTA1016

NJTArrow2 wrote:Here it is going through Metropark.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 3658_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's a perfect pic of it. New loco with the signal bridge right behind it.
 #1212815  by NHAirLine

Tadman wrote:I, too, am curious where that decaying brick structure (freight house?) is. Great pics.

Also, is the toaster there in case of failure or is it in regen to provide a load? From what I understand, GE-Erie tests new locomotives by placing a spare locomotive in regen in a short consist and pulling that around, simulating a heavier load.
Guilford, CT. The 4 Track is in the foreground, which is a siding for SLE to duck out of the way for an Amtrak. 4 Track is not powered. If you go back a couple of pages, you can read my posts about the mayhem that was going on there yesterday that caused the delay of the test train. The pan was down on the toaster, so it was just a protect engine.
 #1212905  by Steve F45

Can any employee who's been around these at night chime in on whether they like the LED headlights vs the halogen? Is there a difference on what you see down the tracks? I know htey are bright as hell to see coming at you but just curious if there are any actual benefits to them besides using less power.
 #1212921  by MBTA1016

NJTArrow2 wrote:Thanks beanbag and Mbta fan!
No problem, nice job.
 #1212937  by 25Hz

Thomas wrote:How likely is it that at least three of these new locomotives go into revenue service by Thanksgiving of this year?
It's my thinking that the only one that might see revenue service by then would likely be 602 since it's been up and down the NEC. It's still limited to 90 mph, so that might see it hauling trains that have lot of padding or LD's that are all ready limited to 110 due to the heritage cars, or they may take the speed restriction off before then (who knows?). Has 602 even been out to hbg yet? I'm thinking they have the keystones with the few cab car compatible AEM-7's so they may pop it on a pennsylvanian instead if it were to go out that way as to not displace the cab car compatible toasters from the rotation (just a hypothesis).

I would love to see 4 in service by at least xmas, and 5 by the end of the year, but who knows how realistic that is.

There is also MARC and SEPTA that will i think be looking to replace their locos with the ACS-64, so who knows going forward how that might affect amtk delivery time frames. There's been speculation by myself and others that the commuter agencies would use a slightly lower power or differently equipped (motors, transformers) version, as their trains are run differently and are typically not as long/heavy, so who knows at this point about that either. Gotta wait and see. :)
 #1212949  by AEM7AC920

Think your getting ahead of things now, nothing will be put into service until all testing is compelte! They aren't just gonna throw the thing in service and run it at a reduced speed just to be doing it when there are locos currently running that can go MAS. Where have you herd that MARC wants any part of the ACS-64 when they just purchased new diesels?
 #1212962  by 25Hz

AEM7AC920 wrote:Think your getting ahead of things now, nothing will be put into service until all testing is compelte! They aren't just gonna throw the thing in service and run it at a reduced speed just to be doing it when there are locos currently running that can go MAS. Where have you herd that MARC wants any part of the ACS-64 when they just purchased new diesels?
As i said,just a hypothesis and not sure.

As for MARC, clearly they could hop on board this order and divest the electrics currently in use... I was not aware of any plans to operate diesels on currently electric powered trains, if that is the plan then i simply did not know about it. If that isn't the case and they intend to keep electric hauled trains then, again, they could initiate a fleet renewal with ACS-64 as the locomotive they end up with.

Often, things can be a matter of adding facts together, and see what you end up with and then put that up against practicality.... :)