• Southern Tier - West of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by thannon

K4Pacific wrote:Perhaps an operational test, but the Elmira crew Saturday said this happens about once a month which I find difference with that.
I doubt they meant trains running the 'new' routing - but definitely does apply to the symbol 526 (versus the usual 525/524).
  by ANDY117

All signals are constantly lit.

And isn't 526/527 the AES Westover symbol?
  by scottychaos

thannon wrote:
scottychaos wrote:Does anyone know of a good resource, some kind of animation perhaps, that explains how the new signals will work on a single track line like this?
Back in my teenage days in Waverly, in the 80's, the signals were very easy to understand on double-track main.
Scot
It doesn't promote itself well in digital form, but maybe this will help Scotty?
http://www.amtrakengineer.net/NSOperatingRules.pdf

A little more straightforward, requires powerpoint installed (or powerpoint reader):
http://www.amtrakengineer.net/COLORREVIEW.ppt
Thanks Tom..
So with K4's observation that the lights are constantly lit..I guess there is no real way to tell if a train is coming soon, based on the signals?
because if the line is clear ahead, the signal will be sitting there lit, indicating clear, whether a train is approaching or not..

What im wondering is, is there any specific signal aspect that will indicate a train is imminent?
that my 3-year old neice could use for railfanning purposes? ;) (she does not own a scanner! ;)
it seems not..
although I suppose a "full stop" light, all red, probably means a train is approaching *against* the signal?
that would make sense..although that could also indicate MOW work or something like that..hmmm..

Scot
  by K4Pacific

NS Buffalo, Corning, and Binghamton are hiring for Conductors. Here comes the traffic. I'm telling you this is not a drill.
  by malfunctjct

They are in quite the hiring frenzy right now....Can you elaborate on the new traffic?
  by SecaucusJunction

They are also hiring in Croxton... for any of us that are hoping for more traffic that way. Who knows....
  by poppyl

I've been out of the loop for a couple of days, but went by Gang Mills Monday morning. Surprised me to see three consists sitting there crewed and ready to roll westbound -- a coal drag headed for the WNYP first in line followed by what looked like a sand frac consist on deck and a mixed consist in the hole. I'm wondering if NS is beginning to do a little fleeting on the Tier.

Poppyl
  by bwparker1

poppyl wrote: I'm wondering if NS is beginning to do a little fleeting on the Tier.

Poppyl
What does the term "Fleeting" refer to?
  by poppyl

bwparker1 wrote:
poppyl wrote: I'm wondering if NS is beginning to do a little fleeting on the Tier.

Poppyl
What does the term "Fleeting" refer to?
It's a traffic management tool for single tracked mains where several consists run in one direction -- kind of like having a one way main -- for a period of time. Allows for better traffic flow (less time sitting on passing sidings waiting for opposite direction traffic to clear) as well as higher overall traffic volumes and reduced transit times. It does require better scheduling and communication across the affected line.

Poppyl
  by SecaucusJunction

I don't really think it's necessary for the current traffic levels on the tier though...
  by poppyl

SecaucusJunction wrote:I don't really think it's necessary for the current traffic levels on the tier though...
Won't argue with you on that point. :-)

But it sure did seem a little out of the normal to see three crewed trains lined up to depart westbound.

Poppyl
  by SteelRail

[quote="scottychaos]So with K4's observation that the lights are constantly lit..I guess there is no real way to tell if a train is coming soon, based on the signals?
because if the line is clear ahead, the signal will be sitting there lit, indicating clear, whether a train is approaching or not..

[/quote]

My observation of the system is that when there are no trains in the single track, the signals are lit green in both directions. When a train enters single-track, all of the opposing signals drop to red.

The CP's appear to always be red unless a train has been authorized to enter the single track.
Last edited by SteelRail on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by pumpers

SteelRail wrote: [My observation of the system is that when there are no trains in the single track, the signals are lit green in both directions. When a train enters single-track, all of the opposing signals drop to red.
Makes sense from safety's sake. So if I am in the middle of a single track section, and an east-facing signal (visible to westbound trains) goes red, an eastbound has entered has entered the single track section (and can be expected to pass by shortly under normal through-train operations)? JS
  by conrailsharedassets

malfunctjct wrote:They are in quite the hiring frenzy right now....Can you elaborate on the new traffic?
I understand NS is in quite the hiring frenzy at the moment. But what I don't understand is why crews are being hired out of Binghamton to run trains the length of the tier. As I understand it, NS crews for Binghamton to Croxton will be Croxton Based crews and NS crews for Buffalo to Binghamton on Tier West are all based out of Buffalo. The only crews that work out of Binghamton as I understand it are Binghamton Local crews and all the NS crews for the NS D&H trackage rights trains .

Is the fact that NS is hiring out of Binghamton as well, a sign that NS is planning on running trains from the south to the Bison Inland Port as well as from the east? This would make sense to me, as NS has quite a bit of china containers coming up from the south and it would only make sense that NS would want to connect as much of their system as possible with the new facility.

Any and all answers/input will be greatly appreaciated...

Thanks in advance!!!

Jim
  by malfunctjct

I would think that some of the hiring for Binghamton would also be for more traffic for PAR. The D&H north of Bingo is looking to become quite busy.........