Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier - West of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1580163  by SST

On my way to check out Atlanta, NY today I came through Lancaster on Erie st to get to rt20. As I crossed over Pavement Rd I noticed that a section of track is being assembled. It’s not complete and appears to be using the newer ties rather than the creosote ties.
 #1582564  by 161pw165

SST wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:41 pm On my way to check out Atlanta, NY today I came through Lancaster on Erie st to get to rt20. As I crossed over Pavement Rd I noticed that a section of track is being assembled. It’s not complete and appears to be using the newer ties rather than the creosote ties.
FYI - that crossing was replaced earlier this week.
 #1584726  by Fireman43

Revisiting an old thread - hadn't paid attention to Bombardier in Kanona since I had noticed the NJ cars from hurricane Sandy (???) to be refurbished parked on their siding years ago.
On our way through the area thought good time to get off 390 and take a road trip up 415 to Wayland.
Going past Bombardier it appeared to be inactive .

( after i wrote the above I decided to do a bit of looking around online and sat view showed quite a bit of activity with the employee parking lot full and cars on their siding in he back ). And that it has been sold to Alstrom.

Then realized i had traveled by on a Saturday so were they just closed for the weekend ???
What has been the history of this facility ?
Thanks

Mark
 #1592560  by SST

8 months ago I was following the Southern Tier line east of Lancaster. I came upon a crossing with two pieces of rail laying on the access road. I didn't stop but they looked reasonable in size to get them into my truck. At the time I couldn't tell if these pieces were scrape rail or not. So I left them there as I was still in surgical recovery. No Lifting!

So yesterday, 8 months later, was a spectacular day so I drove out to "inspect" the rails. I parked the car and walked over to them. They gave me a good laugh cuz these pieces are fairly large and NO WAY I could get them into my truck. Plus, there was lots and lots of tech writing on them which told me this is new rail to be installed and not scrape rail.

Oh well, another delay is my WS Shortline RR expansion.
 #1593339  by Matt Langworthy

NS 36T and 37T were abolished last weekend. Effective Saturday 3/5, NS has extended the following trains onto the Southern Tier Mainline:

NS 315- Binghamton, NY to Bellevue, OH
NS 316- Bellevue, OH to Binghamton, NY

I saw the inaugural run of NS 316 on Saturday morning. It was a mix of manifest freight and auto racks.