Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by erie910

I'm contemplating a South Shore Line ride from South Bend to Chicago, probably catching one of the afternoon departures. I have the RTA reduced fare card, but, from what I understand, the South Bend ticket office is closed weekdays except on Friday (until 1 p.m.). Do the vending machines recognize the RTA card (or Medicare card or driver license)? Does the on-train surcharge apply if there is no agent on duty, but vending machines are available? Are Conductors or Collectors able to sell reduced fare tickets?

Thanks in advance.
  by justalurker66

https://www.mysouthshoreline.com/commuter-perks

"The South Shore Line accepts Transit Benefit Cards at our Millennium station, our Ticket Vending Machines, and on our Mobile App."

Per their website the surcharge only applies when no agent is present.
  by erie910

One more question--I note that the Michigan City 11th St. station is closed for construction. Is this the beginning of the end of 11th St. street-running? Any ideas as to how long street-running will last?

Thanks.
  by CraigDK

erie910 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:11 pm One more question--I note that the Michigan City 11th St. station is closed for construction. Is this the beginning of the end of 11th St. street-running? Any ideas as to how long street-running will last?

Thanks.
Yes. I'm going off memory, but I think the majority of the work is expected to start later this year. There is a thread on the forum here with more info.