Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1576447  by erie910

I'm contemplating a South Shore Line ride from South Bend to Chicago, probably catching one of the afternoon departures. I have the RTA reduced fare card, but, from what I understand, the South Bend ticket office is closed weekdays except on Friday (until 1 p.m.). Do the vending machines recognize the RTA card (or Medicare card or driver license)? Does the on-train surcharge apply if there is no agent on duty, but vending machines are available? Are Conductors or Collectors able to sell reduced fare tickets?

Thanks in advance.
 #1580252  by erie910

One more question--I note that the Michigan City 11th St. station is closed for construction. Is this the beginning of the end of 11th St. street-running? Any ideas as to how long street-running will last?

Thanks.
 #1580262  by CraigDK

erie910 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:11 pm One more question--I note that the Michigan City 11th St. station is closed for construction. Is this the beginning of the end of 11th St. street-running? Any ideas as to how long street-running will last?

Thanks.
Yes. I'm going off memory, but I think the majority of the work is expected to start later this year. There is a thread on the forum here with more info.
 #1583151  by fauxcelt

I rode from South Bend to Chicago and back to South Bend yesterday. I didn't notice any constructing or destructing work on either Eleventh Street or Tenth Street in Michigan City but I do remember seeing many boarded up houses with big signs saying: "NO TRESSPASSING" as the train passed them.

Laurence
 #1583164  by justalurker66

Not too many. Most of the houses on 10th St (south side of street) are already gone. The only sign of their demolition is fresh dirt and the occasional literal sign placed by the demo company. The last I looked there were three or four houses waiting for demolition and three or four houses with residents still moving out (or possibly holding out).

11th St (mostly north side of street) is similar near the closed station with the businesses on the NW corner of the station block gone. The biggest missing piece was the old church on the curve. Another open lot with a demo company sign.

Next trip look a little closer - but I will admit that the demo company is doing a good job of getting the job done and leaving little trace other than missing buildings.
 #1583247  by fauxcelt

I don't know when I will be able to visit South Bend and Michigan City again because I live in Arkansas. The last time I was in South Bend or Michigan City was in 1999 when I was on vacation from my job at a local hospital. I wanted to re-visit South Bend and Michigan City again and I had the opportunity to do so this week while I was off from work (yes I still work at the same hospital). In August or September 1982, I was in Chicago and I had the opportunity to take a ride on one of the old orange cars from the 1920's shortly before they were retired. On this trip, I wasn't able to ride all of the way to South Bend and back to Chicago. Instead, the train terminated in Michigan City and I have been wanting to ride all of the way from South Bend to Chicago and back to South Bend which I finally got to do.

Laurence
 #1583265  by fauxcelt

I did notice the fresh dirt and the signs from the demolition company when the train ran through Michigan City. I first noticed the South Shore Line when I was a boy and we lived in Chicago. One summer day we went to either the national sand dune park or the state park and we used the Toll Road to get there. I remember watching the trains as we drove along the Toll Road. We lived in Chicago because that was where my father got the best job offer when he graduated from college.

Laurence
 #1627728  by fauxcelt

Another thing which I noticed when I rode the South Shore Line from South Bend to Chicago and then back to South Bend two years ago was the behavior of the conductors on the trains. On the way into Chicago from South Bend in the morning, the young woman who was the conductor carefully checked everyone's ticket (or tickets). However, on the ride back to South Bend from Chicago in the afternoon, the conductor (another woman) never, ever seemed to check anyone's tickets.
Since there was no agent on duty at the station in South Bend, I had to purchase my tickets from the vending machine--which worked just fine.

Laurence
 #1627730  by fauxcelt

While I was in Chicago, I took a ride on the Orange Line all of the way to Midway Airport and then back into downtown because the Orange Line had not been built when we moved away from Chicago. I do not know when the CTA started planning to build the Orange Line but I am sure it was after we moved.

Laurence
 #1627737  by justalurker66

During the pandemic the South Shore only required tickets in one direction. You probably rode during the extended one way ticketing.

They are still running a "two months for the price of one" deal on monthly tickets.
 #1628209  by fauxcelt

Thank you justalurker66 I was wondering about the tickets. I was trying to comply with the rules and make sure my ticket was easily available if the conductor asked to see it.

Laurence