Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #789013  by SubwayTim

I'm not sure which forum would be most appropriate for this topic, since it covers two different regions. Anyway, my question is:
Have the (Budd) Silverliner II's and/or the (St. Louis) Silverliner III's ever provide service in the New York City metro area or have they at least ever been seen on New York City area tracks???
 #789077  by Clearfield

They MAY have been lent to Amtrak for Thankgiving service in the past.
 #789090  by Tadman

Yep. Before public transit agencies, those SL's went everywhere even though they were common in Philly. Page 30 of "Pennsy Electric Years Vol 3" by Ian Fischer shows SL2's in Harrison, NJ operating for Pennsy. I also believe the bible on electric railroads, Middleton's "When Steam Roads Electrified", shows SL's in Maryland in local service to DC under Penn Central auspices.
 #789092  by Clearfield

I remember years ago taking an early morning Clocker from 30th to NYP and it was a Silverliner. Don't remember who owned it.
 #789162  by R36 Combine Coach

The MP54s, the predecessor to the MP85s (Silverliners) were not just used in local suburban service but medium-distance electric runs as far as Harrisburg and south as Washington. The NJ DOT/PC Arrow IIs were used in the Washington/Baltimore area in the 1970s as well.
 #789253  by chuchubob

Jersey_Mike wrote:Weren't the S-II's used on the Army-Navy trains from NYC and DC?
They were used for A-N trains coming from the Main Line, now the Keystone Line.
In the years that I observed the A-N trains (early 1970's), all the NY and WAS trains were pulled by GG1's.
 #789382  by radioboy

chuchubob wrote:
Jersey_Mike wrote:Weren't the S-II's used on the Army-Navy trains from NYC and DC?
They were used for A-N trains coming from the Main Line, now the Keystone Line.
In the years that I observed the A-N trains (early 1970's), all the NY and WAS trains were pulled by GG1's.
Correct. The PRR always used GG1s for A-N games, because it was considered a day to show off.
 #789492  by MACTRAXX

ST: As recently as the early 80s (Conrail days) there was at least one run which operated local to NYP that originated at Suburban Station on weeknights around 9:30 PM and changed crews at Trenton arriving in NYP just before midnight.
The equipment returned leaving NYP at 4:50 AM again changing crews in Trenton and then arriving in Suburban Station around 7am. This run usually used SEPTA-owned equipment like Silverliner 2 and 3's. I believe this service ended either with the mid 1981 SEPTA cutbacks or otherwise before Conrail exited NEC passenger service in 1982.

PRR/PC Silverliner 2 and 3 cars were regularly used in Harrisburg service until the Metroliner cars were bumped there in the early 80s. In the 60s/early 70s PRR/PC sometimes used them in PHL-NYP service primarily before Amtrak began in 1971.

MACTRAXX
 #789533  by R36 Combine Coach

MACTRAXX wrote:PRR/PC Silverliner 2 and 3 cars were regularly used in Harrisburg service until the Metroliner cars were bumped there in the early 80s. In the 60s/early 70s PRR/PC sometimes used them in PHL-NYP service primarily before Amtrak began in 1971.
The Silverliner IIIs were ordered and built for Harrisburg service in 1967 but paid with SEPTA funds.
 #789574  by BuddSilverliner269

Tadman wrote:Yep. Before public transit agencies, those SL's went everywhere even though they were common in Philly. Page 30 of "Pennsy Electric Years Vol 3" by Ian Fischer shows SL2's in Harrison, NJ operating for Pennsy. I also believe the bible on electric railroads, Middleton's "When Steam Roads Electrified", shows SL's in Maryland in local service to DC under Penn Central auspices.
Tadman, I dont believe thats correct. On weekends, the silverliners have ventured up to NYC, but those cars stayed in Philly as they were purchased for Philly services by the PSIC Passenger Services Improvement Corp of Philadelphia.
 #789748  by blockline4180

So in summary, the Silverliner II/II's have been as far east as New York and far west as Harrisburg?? Any other current abandonded lines they have been on??
 #789978  by Tadman

@Budd269, I agree - I was just pointing out a picture I'd seen in a book, there was no info on the picture noting which day of week it was or maybe if the train was a special or non-standard run in an equipment shortage situation. I have the feeling this happened more than we realize when the entire NEC was a PRR/PC operation, as MU cars are basically useful anywhere. I do understand about PSIC funding the cars, no doubt they wouldn't be happy about their cars servicing New York or DC in normal service.