Railroad Forums 

• Siemens Venture cars in revenue service on Lincoln services

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1594558  by STrRedWolf

Pensyfan19 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:52 pm First lead in the sinkwater, now this! Do the Brightline Ventures have this problem (or any problems with the Ventures in general)? Any reasons as to why the Brightline Ventures have fewer problems than the Amtrak coaches overall?
I now wonder what the Brightline contract for the Venture cars says VS the Amtrak contract. I would not be surprised if the Brightline contract is very specific while Amtrak is a bit looser in terms of what is built.
 #1594568  by Gilbert B Norman

Possibly this is the result of a "Golly, I've got a better idea" at some Amtrak meeting.

I can recall from my rides aboard OBB Rail Jets (Siemens), tray table latches can break, but guess what over there; they fix things!!

I have no plans to "go over" this summer for the Festival; COVID cases in Austria are presently 333/100K; USA presently 11/100K.
 #1594637  by STrRedWolf

eolesen wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:14 pm I don't think a magnet will erase a SSD... but yeah, there are magnet switches in the lids of Apple tablets and many laptops...
Moving electronics through a magnetic field will induce an electrical current, so if your laptop is open and gets moved in any way with a sufficiently powerful magnet, it's going to glitch and blue-screen.

It sounds like they put in niodinium magnets there... when they really should of used a plain-old latch.
 #1594649  by eolesen

Sounds like a bunch of career bureaucrats who don't ever travel designed a seat by committee...

If Brightline doesn't have this it's because they probably did usability testing and customer feedback before ordering...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1594663  by rohr turbo

Actually consumer electronics are extremely unlikely to be harmed by a magnet. Possibly a very very strong magnet could affect a hard drive (not SSD), but that's about it.

Most likely someone had an ipad which detects the cover closed by sensing the small magnet in the cover. I'll bet it was an inadvertent 'go to sleep' but no damage.
 #1596097  by Gilbert B Norman

I was last by Lumber St. on BNSF March 8 for Mr. Lordsigma's and mine Lunch meetup. Of course, Ventures were sitting around, but they had been withdrawn from revenue service.

Now Mr. Mr. McGrath reports they have returned; great!

Now did any others show up over the past month so that 1) more can have a "siesta" or are they about to be placed in other Lincoln Service consists?

Enquiring mind "wondering".
 #1596402  by Bob Roberts

On the 303 to St Louis this morning. Was very excited to see the new Venture cars, but I was bummed to discover business class is still an Amfleet (2+1 config). I should have paid closer attention before booking.

(The Ventures looked good as I walked past)

Edit: just past Joilet they announced that the auto-opening doors are not working (so everyone was instructed to “push”).

Edit edit: doors between the Siemens cars are just kept open now. The cars very VERY roomy as you walk through, the aisle is certainly wider than amfleets but seats look much narrower. Restrooms are well designed, mostly touchless, one per car. The new cars seem to ride noticeably more smoothly than my amfleet.

Off topic: it remains annoying (but largely trivial) that Amtrak can’t manage to have a consistent set of policies in place nationwide. Business class in midwest appears to mean you get ONE free drink per trip while BC in the South (on the Carolinian anyway) means all the tea / coffee / soft drinks you want.
Last edited by Bob Roberts on Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1596414  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Roberts, I presume you are addressing the doors between the vestibule and the "cabin". and not those to board or alight the train.

If the former, "minor minor". I've been on DB Euro City equipment where same has occurred.

Food-Service/Business Class cars, that was earlier reported here as a "work in progress".
 #1596423  by eolesen

Bob Roberts wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:31 amOff topic: it remains annoying (but largely trivial) that Amtrak can’t manage to have a consistent set of policies in place nationwide. Business class in midwest appears to mean you get ONE free drink per trip while BC (on the Carolinian anyway) means all the tea / coffee / soft drinks you want.
And on my one trip on Acela in Business, we had to pay for soft drinks...