Railroad Forums 

• *** SHARE YOUR MODEL RAILROAD ACTION PHOTOS

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#951299  by ns3010

3rdrail wrote:
ns3010 wrote:Shouldn't we have a 2011 thread by now? :-)
I went to the National Thread Show last week. Trust me when I tell you that the 2010 model was much nicer.
Since I have yet to see the 2011 edition in person, I'll believe you.

GEC, that is a great scene. Add some catenary, ballast, and a backdrop, and you'd have a killer shot!
 #971191  by ns3010

Tri State Rail local BY-1, lead by Conrail heritage unit 4004 and borrowed Norfolk Southern 3010, races past the future site of the Kuiken Brothers Lumber siding. It is evident that preparations, paving, in particular, are being made in anticipation of inbound shipments to the KBL site in the near future

As you can see, the layout is coming along. The Kuiken Brothers Lumber siding/yard is the current project, with paving (sheet styrene) moving along smoothly. Once paving is complete, the site will need some fencing, forklifts, workers, and more lumber stacks before it can be called done. That will complete that section, although the rest of the layout still has a lot to be done. Time and money are both very tight right now, but I'm hoping to get the layout as close to completion (i.e. current plans for the layout, not including future changes, since a layout is never actually done) as possible before college next fall.
 #972519  by Otto Vondrak

ns3010 wrote:As you can see, the layout is coming along. The Kuiken Brothers Lumber siding/yard is the current project, with paving (sheet styrene) moving along smoothly. Once paving is complete, the site will need some fencing, forklifts, workers, and more lumber stacks before it can be called done. That will complete that section, although the rest of the layout still has a lot to be done. Time and money are both very tight right now, but I'm hoping to get the layout as close to completion (i.e. current plans for the layout, not including future changes, since a layout is never actually done) as possible before college next fall.
Lookin good, Joe!
 #972520  by Otto Vondrak

FiatFan wrote:I caught the twins switching a boxcar into the public warehouse.

Tom
Tom, love the two switchers and the photo angle!
 #973560  by 3rdrail

1 - better composition.
 #973579  by Cosmo

2, more interesting lighting.
Here's a though...
...you can gin-up a temporary backdrop and even a foreground "baffle" to use for photos. I used a couple pieces of posterboard "sky" for some shots I took a while back on my dad's HO layout. The result was actually quite dramatic.
Little things like that can make a HUGE difference.
 #975885  by Otto Vondrak

I think they are both interesting! Seconded on the backdrop, though. Even holding up a white bedsheet will help. Blue styrofoam. Anything to hide the pipes and whatever else is in the background that's not part of your layout.

o-tto-