Railroad Forums 

• Severe Weather

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#232049  by Engineer James

Now, can a train crew hide, from lets say a tornado in a local shelter, or do they have to take shelter on the train, and hope they do not die?

#232057  by charlie6017

There is already a thread on this board discussing this--scroll down.......

#232073  by Aji-tater

Charlie, I'm not sure about the guy but he actually posted on the related thread below about two weeks ago. Then he goes and starts another thread with the same question. I'll refrain from further comment.

#232189  by roadster

He's a young, and eager to learn fan let's not discourage him. nice touch with the reference Charlie. BTW, if I have time to stop the train and get to a shelter I will, if not I'll stop and take shelter in the nose of the engine which is fairly well protected.

#232216  by Engineer James

Charlie... my question posted on that thread was not answered. :(
so I asked the question in a new thread.

#232374  by charlie6017

I meant no disrespect..........by all means, I do want the young railfans to be able to have their questions answered. Sorry about that, James.

#232487  by Engineer James

Its ok... So, where do you "hide if a ywister is coming at you, with winds at 200 mph? the train, or a nearby shelter, if you can find one?

#232503  by DutchRailnut

Despite cars having blown over the engine is probably the safest spot to be. not to many engines sustain major damage , they weigh 293 000 Lbs or more.
Shut it down and hide in auxiliary cabinet or other enclosed section of engine, don't stay in cab a window is still a window and stuff could come flying in.

#232510  by jg greenwood

Some freight locomotives tip the scale @ 415,000 lbs. I'll take my chances on-board vs: any other shelter.

#232590  by Engineer James

Ok... anyone else?

#232635  by JLJ061

Now I'm curious to find out if a locomotive ever actually got hit head-on by a twister and managed to stay on the ground?

#232684  by Long Island 7285

I seen images of freightrains put on the ground from a tornado, and F0-F2/3 tornado may be no or little match for a 400,000 ton locomotive but let's increase the wind speed to 300-600MPH I beleive the Highest Wind Speed recorded was near 600mph (I'm not shure) but on average the F5 usaly is 450-500mph wind speed, I don't know if a locomotive on the lowest level of the storm would survive debree traveling at well over 100mph and or a direct hit.

#232686  by benltrain

it would also depend where you are:

corn field: where else is there to hide?
in city with bomb shelter next door: i'd take the bomb shelter

ok... there are things inbetween, but you get the point- there are a lot of factors to take in.

and has anybody thought about braking to stop short of its progected path or speeding up to beat the tornado? could they cut the freight cars quickly enough? might get in trouble for abandoning freight but at least would have their lives.

#232689  by Long Island 7285

If the storms heading for you directly and you and your whole crew is in the lead engine I don't think it would take much to run to the back end and lift the coupler cut bar and leave the train. As you said, My life means more to me then the value of that freight, Freight can be claimed as a loss and re manufactured. You and I can't. So if that were my train stareing down a F5 tornado, I will say the freight can wait! and just notch out the engine (now lite) and try to our run the dam thing and prey there is no other train, obstruction or signal will will caus me to stop.

Some times (and this situation is one of them) the company money and or freight being handles is of lease priority. reguardless of how much it cost the company. they can replace a box car and products they can't replace you; then return you as used to be to your family.

#232727  by benltrain

Long Island 7285 wrote:If the storms heading for you directly and you and your whole crew is in the lead engine I don't think it would take much to run to the back end and lift the coupler cut bar and leave the train. As you said, My life means more to me then the value of that freight, Freight can be claimed as a loss and re manufactured. You and I can't. So if that were my train stareing down a F5 tornado, I will say the freight can wait! and just notch out the engine (now lite) and try to our run the dam thing and prey there is no other train, obstruction or signal will will caus me to stop.

Some times (and this situation is one of them) the company money and or freight being handles is of lease priority. reguardless of how much it cost the company. they can replace a box car and products they can't replace you; then return you as used to be to your family.
how many big companies care about that when they have the chance to sue your backside off?