Railroad Forums 

• Severe Weather

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#232844  by roadster

James, CSX rules state that we must be vigilant for bad weather approaching. If it becomes severe, we are suppose to seek shelter. Now that can mean a number of things, but as I said before in my above post, if I can safely stop the train and get to a shelter I will. If not I'll stop the trainb and take shelter within the cab of the loco, most likely in the nose of the cab. even if the tornado flops it over there is substancial protection there to protect the crew.

#232883  by c604.

What do switchmen do in a yard when a regular lightning producing thunderstorm approaches? Can they follow common sense and seek shelter until the storm passes or do rules mandate that they ignore the lightning and keep switching?

#232901  by Engineer James

Well, I am glad. Now, I understand, its where you are.

Here is senario, you have an Sd40 pulling another, and a 30 car frieght, now you have an F5 coming at ya. Do you have enough power to outrun it? Can you blow past signals as long as its coming at ya?

#232905  by jg greenwood

Engineer James wrote:Well, I am glad. Now, I understand, its where you are.

Here is senario, you have an Sd40 pulling another, and a 30 car frieght, now you have an F5 coming at ya. Do you have enough power to outrun it? Can you blow past signals as long as its coming at ya?
Get real here!!!!!!!!!!!! Isn't the wind speed for an F-5 in the 215-300+ mph. range? Where's the delete nonsensical posts button?

#233045  by Engineer James

Am sorry. OK, can you pass signals in the case of being chased? As long as you do not hit anything?

#233100  by thebigc

Long Island 7285 wrote: ...and F0-F2/3 tornado may be no or little match for a 400,000 ton locomotive...
...which comes out to 800,000,000 lbs. That's some serious axle loading there!

JG, the silly thread deletion button is that little red box with the X in it at the top right of your screen! :wink:

#233166  by natethegreat

I don't think that it's possible to outrun a tornado. Perhaps you should try it. A train could NOT out run a tornado.
Also, passing a signal and/or speeding are usually more dangerous then seeking shelter in the nose of a locomotive.

#233198  by benltrain

natethegreat wrote:I don't think that it's possible to outrun a tornado. Perhaps you should try it. A train could NOT out run a tornado.
Also, passing a signal and/or speeding are usually more dangerous then seeking shelter in the nose of a locomotive.
70 mph is pretty fast for tornado- many locomotives could beat that without cargo.

#233299  by Engineer James

As long as no one is hurt, I say go for it.

#233307  by DutchRailnut

Now a few engineers told you what could be done but were discussing fantasy options of people that have never operated anything more than a lionel ;-)

#233350  by Engineer James

Dutch,

Ok, then explain to me, (Kindly), how you would run from a twister barreling at u.

#233369  by tahawus84

it seems this site is not short on idiots

#233399  by Engineer James

OK...

For truth I am gonna be a Locomotive Engineer. I'd just hide, in a loco, or a shelter, if possibile.

#233459  by benltrain

this is rediculous. you can outrun most tornadoes with an engine (albeit not recommended to try), and that you should NEVER pass a red signal, because there could be trains ahead that wwouldn't have been hurt before.

thats all that needs to be known, lets stop the arguing and act our age.

#233470  by roadster

I guess no body reads the post, "IF FOUL WEATHER APPROACHES< SEEK SHELTER", This doesn't mean out run it and blow by Red signals you'd be more dangerous than the twister. It means "STOP" and "SEEK SHELTER".
As far as the switchman in the yard, yes we are to head for shelter if a a lightning storm gets close. No more what "if's" please.