Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA Rail Map w/ Proposed and Abandoned Lines

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#60177  by Lucius Kwok

Larger Version

Using some USGS maps, I have created a map of SEPTA's regional rail system. The solid black lines indicate existing SEPTA services except for the Route 100 which is in solid violet. Proposed, abandoned, and SEPTA-owned tracks are shown in dotted lines. The SVM and CCM are in shades of green, while the Route 100 King of Prussia extension is in purple. The SEPTA-owned tracks are in orange.

#60213  by jfrey40535

Nicely done! And printer friendly too! Thanks!
 #60219  by jsc

Pretty neat, but I have a couple questions.

1) why did the P&W and ACL make the list, but not the BSS, MFL or PATCO?

2) How about the Media-Sharon Hill Lines?

3) Subway-Surface lines?

4) Rt 15?

Please take my questions as constructive criticism, as that is the spirit in which they are meant. Neat map!
 #60235  by walt

jsc wrote:Pretty neat, but I have a couple questions.

3) Subway-Surface lines?

4) Rt 15?

Please take my questions as constructive criticism, as that is the spirit in which they are meant. Neat map!
If you're going to include the above transit lines, then , particularly with abandoned lines, you are talking about a whole additional network---- ie
Red Arrow's West Chester and Ardmore Lines, all of the bustituted Philadelphia Streetcar Lines, the LVT ( to Allentown), the old Southern Pennsylvania Traction Company Lines-- including the Darby-Wilmington Interurban, The Norristown Traction Co., The Chester Valley Lines ( formerly the West Chester Street Railway Co.) and many many more small "country" streetcar lines in the area.

It probably makes sense, in light of the above, to have confined the map to railroad lines, rather than including the transit lines.
 #60261  by Hal

walt wrote:

1) . . . BSS, MFL or PATCO?
3) Subway-Surface lines?
4) Rt 15?
It probably makes sense, in light of the above, to have confined the map to railroad lines
Great map!

but, I've got a question

5) How does the New Hope and Ivyland RR fit into that?

I was on one of their trains when then did their Bethelehem Branch excursion, so I guess they're still connected to the Warminster Line?

I guess that's not SEPTA rail though?

Hal

#60413  by Lucius Kwok

3) Subway-Surface lines?

4) Rt 15?
I primarily wanted to include railroad lines and not transit, and the P&W is the only exception, first, since the P&W was originally chartered as a railroad, and second because wanted to show the King of Prussia extension of the Route 100 that SEPTA has been studying for a long time.

I might add some transit lines and other railroads when I have time. Transit lines don't show up on the source maps I used, and they tend to be very short, so they might end up in another map at a different scale. The freight railroads have their own network which is more complex with many branches, so I'm not planning to add them. The New Hope & Ivyland RR will be added in the next version.

According to the PennDOT rail map, the Bucks County Railroad Preservation and Restoration Company owns the New Hope & Ivyland RR tracks between Warminster and New Hope.

Thanks for the comments.
 #60473  by jrevans

jfrey40535 wrote:Nicely done! And printer friendly too! Thanks!
And he saved it as a GIF instead of a JPG, to prevent the text from getting frazzled by the compression. That's one of my tricks too. :)

#60687  by SCB2525

Looking at that map, If The Bethlehem Branch is ever reactivated along with the Stony Creek Branch, wouldn't it be logical to make Doylestown an extension of the R6 Cynwyd and Bethlehem/Quakertown the R5?

Another thing that strikes me: more South Jersey lines (Penns Grove, Salem, Port Norris, etc.) should be reactivated and run out of and into Philly. However, I don't know what remains of these mentioned lines or others. I know the conditions of Ocean City, Cape May, and Wildwood. Can someone shed some light on this?
 #60713  by limejuice

Hal wrote:
walt wrote:

1) . . . BSS, MFL or PATCO?
3) Subway-Surface lines?
4) Rt 15?
It probably makes sense, in light of the above, to have confined the map to railroad lines
Great map!

but, I've got a question

5) How does the New Hope and Ivyland RR fit into that?

I was on one of their trains when then did their Bethelehem Branch excursion, so I guess they're still connected to the Warminster Line?

I guess that's not SEPTA rail though?

Hal
As far as I know, EPRY did the excursion in Perkasie; they borrowed the coaches from NHIR. NHIR is still connected to the Warminster line at Street Road (not Lahaska) where they interchange freight with CSX.

#60732  by limejuice

Lucius Kwok wrote:According to the PennDOT rail map, the Bucks County Railroad Preservation and Restoration Company owns the New Hope & Ivyland RR tracks between Warminster and New Hope.
As far as I'm aware, the NH&I bought the railroad back from them. From what I understand, the nutshell history goes something like this: McHugh Bros. purchase the line from the Reading Company for scrap value sometime in the 60's after they filed for abandonment. They eventually went broke, the line fell into disrepair, and the county took it over. The current ownership operated the line and eventually purhased it back from the county.
 #60791  by jrevans

limejuice wrote:
Lucius Kwok wrote:According to the PennDOT rail map, the Bucks County Railroad Preservation and Restoration Company owns the New Hope & Ivyland RR tracks between Warminster and New Hope.
As far as I'm aware, the NH&I bought the railroad back from them. From what I understand, the nutshell history goes something like this: McHugh Bros. purchase the line from the Reading Company for scrap value sometime in the 60's after they filed for abandonment. They eventually went broke, the line fell into disrepair, and the county took it over. The current ownership operated the line and eventually purhased it back from the county.
I think that the BCRP&R still owns the trackage. This document from July 2004 states:
-- Bucks County Railroad Preservation and Restoration Corporation, of New Hope, $211,365, to rehabilitate the mainline between New Hope and Warminster to increase safety and operating efficiency.
I take that to mean that they still own the tracks, but I suppose there could be some other sort of arrangement.

#60825  by Lucius Kwok

SCB2525 wrote:Looking at that map, If The Bethlehem Branch is ever reactivated along with the Stony Creek Branch, wouldn't it be logical to make Doylestown an extension of the R6 Cynwyd and Bethlehem/Quakertown the R5?
I think that the Stony Creek and Quakertown branches are not electrified, but they could put up catenary if they had the money. On the other hand, if SEPTA were to run diesels in revenue service, they could run from Quakertown to Norristown in addition to Reading to Norristown, and use Norristown as a transfer point to existing R6 service.

Have there been any studies done on service to Quakertown and the Stony Creek branch?

As for the R6 Cynwyd, I'm not sure how that fits in with the above. The tracks on the PRR side currently end at Ivy Ridge, and there is no connection to the Reading side there. (I used to catch the R6 at the Ivy Ridge station, which was originally built for the PRR-side with a high-level platform in the early 1980's, then abandoned until steps were built down to the Reading-side, where there are low-level platforms.)

I think the R6 Cynwyd branch could be turned into a light-rail line for the 480 weekday passengers who use it. Part of the SVM plan included various alternatives for this 3-station stub line. It could run on tracks separate from Amtrak's, and there were some options for getting into Center City. I could only find the executive summary of the SVM MIS, so I can only speculate on the details for these options.

#60943  by JeffK

Lucius Kwok wrote:Have there been any studies done on service to Quakertown and the Stony Creek branch?
Yes, it is being looked at by various agencies. Check past threads for discussions.

IMO one of the most telling comments was made by a Bucks County official who said, in essence, if we're going to have rail service we'll have to do it ourselves because SEPTA never will.

#61008  by Matthew Mitchell

Lucius Kwok wrote:I think that the Stony Creek and Quakertown branches are not electrified, but they could put up catenary if they had the money.
Correct on both counts.
On the other hand, if SEPTA were to run diesels in revenue service,
Very big "IF"
they could run from Quakertown to Norristown in addition to Reading to Norristown, and use Norristown as a transfer point to existing R6 service.
Actually, the feasibility study envisioned operating all the way to Philadelphia, using one of three options: 1--straight diesel to 30th Street via restored Ivy Ridge-Cynwyd segment, 2--dual-mode diesel/AC (more technically challenging now: see previous threads), 3--dual-mode diesel/DC laying third rail on tracks 2 and 3 in the tunnel (which has its own challenges).
Have there been any studies done on service to Quakertown and the Stony Creek branch?
See above. The feasibility study was done by Parsons Brinkerhoff for the Bucks and Montgomery (*) Planning Commissions around 1999.
I think the R6 Cynwyd branch could be turned into a light-rail line for the 480 weekday passengers who use it. Part of the SVM plan included various alternatives for this 3-station stub line. It could run on tracks separate from Amtrak's, and there were some options for getting into Center City. I could only find the executive summary of the SVM MIS, so I can only speculate on the details for these options.
The MIS did include both a light rail alternative up to Cynwyd/Ivy Ridge and restoring it as part of the main line route to Reading. The routing around Zoo for a light rail system (requiring segregated tracks) is rather convoluted, and none of the Center City alternatives (#) for getting from the City Branch to Market St. were terribly good--each had drawbacks or fatal flaws, and Broad Street was the least bad choice.

*--As was said elsewhere, the attitude particularly in Bucks was that SEPTA was an obstacle to actually getting rail service to that part of the county, so they went ahead to do the study without SEPTA

#--When it became apparent (well, apparent to the consultants and SEPTA--it was apparent to DVARP long before that) that running the trains from Reading down the City Branch wasn't going to work, they even studied the idea of a tunnel under 18th Street for these trains.
 #97913  by SCB2525

SCB2525 wrote:I believe that more South Jersey lines (Penns Grove, Salem, Port Norris, etc.) should be reactivated and run out of and into Philly. However, I don't know what remains of these mentioned lines or others. I know the conditions of Ocean City, Cape May, and Wildwood. Can someone shed some light on this?