• Article: 14 Reasons You Should Never Travel on Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jeff Smith

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/1 ... 15#image=1

Some of these are just laughable:

1. Delays Are More Common Than You Think (duh, and airlines get delays, too)
2. Aging Infrastructure (true)
3. Limited Coverage and Connectivity
4. High Costs for Questionable Value
5. Inconsistent Service Quality
6. Limited Dining Options
7. Environmental Concerns (come again?)
8. Sparse Wi-Fi Connectivity
9. Outdated Booking System
10. Noisy Environments (pffft)
11. Limited Frequency of Trips
12. Uncomfortable Seating (again, come again?)
13. Lack of Modern Amenities
14. Safety Concerns

Have fun with this lol.
  by STrRedWolf

So first of all, it's on MSN. It, like Yahoo News, republishes articles from "partners". Some of the partners are good main stream sources.

This is not one of them. It's from "Newlyweds On a Budget" a brand owned by District Media... which is in Portland, Oregon, not Washington, DC (although it started there, but now it's not there anymore). It focuses on financial improvement over 27 brands. This brand, from first glimpse of their front page, is... mostly "list articles" (a very old by now and overused style of... I can't really call it news or journalism).

The article itself is 6 days old, but does not look like it is well researched. Most items are just variations of each other and the whole thing can be condensed down to one point:

"The infrastructure (rails, equipment, communications) has been neglected by the major players (freight, Amtrak, cellular, government), causing delays and service quality problems. Why waste money on it?"

That's it. That's the entire article. I just saved everyone from quoting it or even going to it. It's stuff we already know about. Besides, I bet they trained some AI model to barf out the whole thing, and if someone sues over it they'll just retract the whole mess immediately.

Your welcome.
  by Jeff Smith

I know MSN, like AOL and Yahoo! are news aggregators. But sometimes they "aggregate" a good article. "Newlyweds" is clearly not in the good category. Still, I figured we could pick off their observations, most of which are obvious, one by one. I found it humorous.
  by Tadman

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:14 pm

The article ... does not look like it is well researched.
Usually these "news" sites hire a couple college interns (or maybe AI these days) and there is no proof reading or editorial review of any sort.
  by NH2060

Having traveled coast to coast twice on “the Amtraks” (and “the VIAs”) last year oh do I have some musings for these points:

01) *Sarcastically goes “Whaaaaaat?!”*
02) Have you seen the crumbling/partially exposed reinforced concrete supports for the highway bridges in Rhode Island being propped up by wooden trestles?
03) *Airlines enter the chat* They don’t go everywhere either…
04) Again, the airlines enter the chat :P
05) Care to qualify that?
06) NO KIDDING YOU’RE ON A TRAIN, NOT AT THE MALL…
07) Enough already with the climate alarmism…
08) That point I will concede is 100% legitimate. It might depend on one’s device but in my case my iPhone has failed to connect to Amtrak’s Wi-Fi so many times I’ve just given up and opted to add more roaming data to my plan if I’m traveling.
09) Say WHAT? :P
10) El. Oh. EL. Good grief I’m basically a hermited introvert and can’t stand loud people noises and yet I find this beyond laughable.
11) Again, care to qualify that?
12) Then how on earth did I sleep like a baby in COACH 3 nights in a row? (That one night on the Coast Starlight being the exception as that car was FREEZING).
13) Grow up, wimp.
14) Wear a helmet along with knee pads if you’re so afwaid.

Honestly the “environmental concerns” bit doesn’t surprise me. When Amtrak posted on their IG account a picture of the Adirondack at Glens Falls too many of the comments were “Why isn’t it electric?”, “No wires!”, and “I’m not riding Amtrak again until all trains are electric”. The cult is very VERY real.
  by jwhite07

The point of the increasing number of sketchy purveyors of spew on the internet which attempt to portray themselves as "news" is not to hold themselves to the standards of journalism and vie to provide fact-based reporting - it is really nothing more than to get those views and serve those ads. Accuracy matters not one whit, and it is completely up to the "media consumer" to have the intelligence and discernment to know what is utter garbage and what is not.

My own click (which I kinda wish I hadn't given them since this article is not deserving of the privilege) amounted to looking at sixteen generic stock railroad photos, only one of which was clearly an Amtrak train, and not all of which were of a train at all. That right there is enough to ring the "garbage" gong even if the source had not already. As a result I didn't even waste time to read the text of each slide, but I did read the "titles" to each and it gave me a chuckle to note that every last one of them is very much equally applicable to airlines, bus companies, Uber, or just about any other transportation for hire that one can think of. Heck, quite a few of them are applicable to driving in a personal vehicle (Delays? Every damn day. Aging infrastructure? Yep. High cost for questionable value? Certainly. Environmental concerns? I drive a hybrid but Greta still thinks I'm pure evil. And so on...)

Meanwhile the real point is there were six ads served as one clicked through each of the sixteen slides, including one which did double duty as a slide in the article as well as an ad for Booking.com (OK, I'll give two double duty ad/"informational" slides since there was also that sole slide showing the Amtrak logo on the side of a train). Add to that all of the other static ads served on the rest of the page downloaded. And that's really all they were looking for - views and ads served. And thanks to AI, they probably didn't even have to pay a "journalist" for this trash. Who won this round? Not us.
  by charlesriverbranch

“Why isn’t it electric?”

That's a good question. Do you know what is electric? The Trans-Siberian Railroad. It's the longest railway line in the world, and it's in Russia.

You'd think American railroads in 2024 could keep up with the Russians.
  by Train60

Looks like the author of this piece may have created the list from the AI chatbot, Chat GBT — which provides this list if you enter "14 Reasons You Should Never Travel on Amtrak":

1. Delays: Amtrak trains can sometimes experience delays, which can be frustrating for passengers with tight schedules.
2. Limited Routes: Compared to other modes of transportation, Amtrak's network is relatively limited, especially in certain regions.
3. Limited Frequency: Some routes have limited frequency, making it challenging to find convenient departure times.
4. Pricing: While Amtrak can be cost-effective for certain routes, tickets can be pricey, especially for last-minute bookings or popular routes.
5. Comfort: While Amtrak offers different classes of service, some passengers find the seating and amenities less comfortable compared to other modes of transportation.
6. Onboard Amenities: While Amtrak trains typically have basic amenities like restrooms and dining cars, they may not offer the same level of comfort and convenience as other transportation options.
7. Accessibility: Amtrak stations and trains may not be as accessible for passengers with disabilities compared to other modes of transportation.
8. Limited Connectivity: While some routes offer Wi-Fi, the connection may be slow or unreliable, which can be inconvenient for passengers who need to stay connected.
9. Baggage Restrictions: Amtrak may have more restrictive baggage policies compared to airlines, which can be inconvenient for passengers traveling with large or bulky items.
10. Safety Concerns: While accidents are rare, some passengers may have safety concerns about traveling by train, especially on certain routes.
11. Crowded Trains: During peak travel times or on popular routes, Amtrak trains can become crowded, reducing the comfort and enjoyment of the journey.
12. Limited Food Options: While Amtrak trains typically have dining cars or snack bars, the food options may be limited or of lower quality compared to other transportation options.
13. Limited Schedule Flexibility: Unlike driving or some forms of air travel, passengers are limited to Amtrak's schedule, which may not always align with their preferred travel times.
14. Dependence on Rail Infrastructure: Amtrak's reliability is dependent on the condition of rail infrastructure, which may be susceptible to issues such as maintenance or weather-related disruptions.

Alternatively, if you ask ChatGBT "14 Reasons You Should Travel on Amtrak" you get this list:

1. Scenic Routes: Amtrak offers breathtaking views of landscapes and scenery that you can't experience when flying or driving.
2. Relaxation: Train travel can be more relaxed and comfortable compared to other modes of transportation, allowing you to unwind and enjoy the journey.
3. Environmentally Friendly: Trains are more eco-friendly than cars or airplanes, making Amtrak a greener choice for travel.
4. Historical Experience: Many of Amtrak's routes have historical significance, allowing passengers to immerse themselves in the rich history of rail travel.
5. Spacious Seating: Amtrak trains typically offer more legroom and space compared to airplanes, providing a more comfortable travel experience.
6. Onboard Amenities: Depending on the route and class of service, Amtrak trains may offer amenities such as dining cars, lounges, and Wi-Fi.
7. Flexibility: Amtrak offers a variety of routes and schedules, providing flexibility for travelers to choose the itinerary that best suits their needs.
8. Convenient Stations: Amtrak stations are often located in city centers, making it easy to access popular destinations without the hassle of navigating traffic or parking.
9. Accessibility: Amtrak is committed to providing accessible travel for passengers with disabilities, with accessible stations, seating, and accommodations.
10. Family-Friendly: Train travel can be a fun and exciting experience for families, with opportunities to explore different destinations along the route.
11. No Security Lines: Unlike airports, Amtrak stations typically have minimal security checks, saving you time and hassle before boarding.
12. Community Engagement: Amtrak trains provide opportunities to meet and interact with fellow travelers, creating a sense of community onboard.
13. Adventure: Traveling by train offers a sense of adventure and exploration, allowing you to discover new places and hidden gems along the way.
14. Reliable Service: While delays can occur, Amtrak is known for its reliable service, with dedicated staff committed to ensuring a safe and enjoyable journey for passengers.
  by umtrr-author

In summary: a clickbait "listicle" from a chatbot.
I would say "nothing to see here" but the issue is that there will be eyeballs looking, probably more than will be looking for a rational discussion.
Also, get off my lawn...
  by Gilbert B Norman

Interesting how those of you who think this material was simply the work of artificial intelligence. Well, if that be the case, it is certainly noticeable how the accompanying photos are largely of overseas railroads.