Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#10503  by JayMan

Though this may be old news here, I was reading around on the 2nd Ave Subway at the MTA's website.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/capconstr/sas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... _19_02.pdf
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/capconstr/sas/pdf/2ndave.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here it is mentioned that as of those writings there was a discussion over the alignment in the vicinity of the Grand St station. I can't believe there is such a discussion -- considering the impact to the surrounding area and the alignment of the over all tunnel why consider anything other than the Deep Chrystie option?
 #11063  by Mr rt

Nothing concrete is likely to happen with the SAS, 2nd Ave STUBway, in our life time, so why bother talking about it ?

#11067  by JayMan

I don't know that, and probably neither do you. As far as I see here there seems to be some progress towards this, so I guess we'll just have to see.
 #11158  by R142A

JayMan wrote:Though this may be old news here, I was reading around on the 2nd Ave Subway at the MTA's website.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/capconstr/sas/ ... _19_02.pdf
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/capconstr/sas/pdf/2ndave.pdf

Here it is mentioned that as of those writings there was a discussion over the alignment in the vicinity of the Grand St station. I can't believe there is such a discussion -- considering the impact to the surrounding area and the alignment of the over all tunnel why consider anything other than the Deep Chrystie option?
What impact? It will be a positive impact! And the tunnel is already there (partially). The 2nd av subway has some portions already built. The walls of the Grand Street Station were meant to be torn down.
 #12003  by Mr rt

Three sections were built in the 1970s, however:
1. They aren't near each other, e.g. 99th to 105th; 110th to 120; and Chinatown.
2. They are "cut & cover", the current "plan" calls for deep bore, i.e. #1 is useless.
3. Currently it's in the "planning" stage with the TA already having too much on it's plate.

#12013  by JayMan

Three sections were built in the 1970s, however:
1. They aren't near each other, e.g. 99th to 105th; 110th to 120; and Chinatown.
2. They are "cut & cover", the current "plan" calls for deep bore, i.e. #1 is useless.
3. Currently it's in the "planning" stage with the TA already having too much on it's plate
According to this http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/capconstr/sas/pdf/2ndave.pdf they plan on incorporating the pre-built tunnels into the new alignment.

I didn't think the TA would be that wasteful to not utilize work that's already been done.

#12165  by efin98

They might be able to utilize both forms of building, just incline before and beyond the sections already built and deep bore between them.

#12170  by The Caternary Type

Not only that, but what are we going to call this 2nd ave subway and the b'way plan? 8? 0? H? I? K? O? P? T? U? X? Y?

Sincerely, the smothered 6 rider

#12177  by JayMan

It'll surely be a "B" division outfit -- so my guess would be "T". As for the Broadway line, they'll probably route one the existing Broadway lines along it.

#12194  by Otto Vondrak

Technically, since the City/MTA is building the line, that would make it "B" (a sort of "IND" route)... but it's location and proximity to Lex (and possible integration with the Lex) leads me to believe this would be more IRT in nature. I dont think they would use the "8" because it would be too confused with "A" so I say let's bring back the "10" train!

At any rate- I think by 2027, we could do fan trips on the Second Ave.

-otto-

#12310  by NIMBYkiller

They are building SAS to BMT standards. SAS will be given the letter T. The broadway connnection will simply be an extension of the Q.

#12397  by The Caternary Type

What about expresess?
The T (2nd av lcl) the Q extended (2nd av /B'way exp) and the X( 2nd av exp)

Hey, it could happen...
Just hope they don't underestimate this

#12451  by R142A

The Caternary Type wrote:What about expresess?

Hey, it could happen...
Definitely no express. They've already said only 2 tracks.

#12785  by NIMBYkiller

The entire line will only be 2 tracks, which while it makes sense in the short run financially, is a BIG screw up.

#12856  by GP38

The Caternary Type wrote:What about expresess?

Hey, it could happen...
There will be no 2nd Ave express. The line will be only 2 tracks. The is also no such thing that it will be an "IND" line or a "BMT" line because there are no such things.
It will be built to fit B Division equipment (former IND/BMT). The Q will be extended from 57th to 125th via 2nd Ave. The T will run the full length of 2nd Ave when the entire line is completed.

Of course this is the plan, but how many decades and plans have there been since the 1920's to do this.....