Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Dylanchris73

Where would stations be?

by arrow

Here is a link to the stations the MTA has planned:
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/capconstr/sas/sas_stations.htm

This is the link to the main page for the 2nd Av Subway:
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/capconstr/sas/

by 4 Express

To me, some of the stations are too far apart and Seaport should be renamed "South Street Seaport". The Trunk line (T) should also be extended to The Bronx or Brooklyn.

by CComMack

4 Express wrote:The Trunk line (T) should also be extended to The Bronx or Brooklyn.
Well, it's a matter of biting off exactly as much as you can chew, and I think that that even with the new bond funding the MTA may come up short, especially with the volume of other expensive projects vying for attention, like East Side Access and LIRR Main Line Third Track. I'll be pleasantly surprised if, barring further state/local funding, the SAS is built as more than a north-of-63rd "stubway", and I'll be utterly shocked if it gets built out below Houston. Since the current goal is to relieve pressure on the Lex, and that only gets really bad at 125th, I'm willing to make the Bronx and Brooklyn wait a while.

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

If the past is any predictor of the future, this Second Avenue subway will neve be built. Something will happen in a few years and again, funds will run out or be needed for some other "important" project. We've voted for two other bond issues in the past and all we've gotten are two small stretches of tunnel which are now laying in disuse.

by NHRR WTBY

Does anyone know if there has been any progress on the Second Avenue Subway?

by Frank

NHRR WTBY wrote:Does anyone know if there has been any progress on the Second Avenue Subway?
Well, the Preliminary Engineering should be done next month, or so I heard.

by Mr. Harlem Line

It seems like the only progress they made is the letter in which the Second Avenue Subway is gonna be named...the H train!!!
  by Jishnu

Looks like a bit of progress has been made on the Second Avenue subway at least from the funding angle. Actual work is to start soon. Take a look at http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/62580.htm

by Mr. Harlem Line

They should start very soon if they are gonna complete the Second Avenue Subway by 2030. Thanks for the link.
  by fordhamroad

-or, more properly, under Second Avenue? Have all the talk and bond issues produced any new work or impending contracts for work?

Roger
  by Head-end View

I only hope the Second Ave. Subway will be completed in my lifetime, along with the East Side LIRR Access project, so that I will get to ride them some day. I'm 56 years old now, so it's getting a little iffy? I remember all the false starts in the 1970's too. Hard to believe they've been trying to do this since the 1950's. Again, I hope I live to see it completed. :wink:
  by L'mont

Head-end View wrote:I only hope the Second Ave. Subway will be completed in my lifetime, along with the East Side LIRR Access project, so that I will get to ride them some day. I'm 56 years old now, so it's getting a little iffy? I remember all the false starts in the 1970's too. Hard to believe they've been trying to do this since the 1950's. Again, I hope I live to see it completed. :wink:
The 2nd Ave subway: GREAT, very important and I hope they complete it from 125th to Hanover!

East Side Access: HUGE waste of money. Why pour all that dough into a project that simply lets people avoid the shuttle or a 15 minute walk. Trust me, I work across the street from Grand Central and half the people I work with come from Long Island. They don't seem to think it's so bad.

by geoking66

I agree, East Side Access will only complicate matters. However, the Second Avenue Subway will be a vital and necessary line which will definitely disperse subway riders along the Upper East Side. The Lexington Avenue line is the most over-crowded in the world. Besides, the Second Avenue Subway will introduce new technological advances for the subway, including platform screen doors (something necessary nowadays).