• Pan Am Worcester Main Line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by QB 52.32

Watching the Plate F cars roll under CSX's Fitchburg sub in this latest video raises the question whether that overhead bridge really won't clear domestic doublestacks. If not, very close.

Watching those couple of videos from the past speaks to the limits of a Maine intermodal market via Waterville moving forward. While that limited traffic could once again become part of the WML's faster future, even in the shorter run next couple of years, short of a Maine political quid pro quo, Port Saint John now offers at least as much opportunity and probably more.
  by RandallW

Double stack clearances are Plate H (20' 3" vertical clearance), a full 3' 3" higher than Plate F (17' 0" vertical clearance). It doesn't look like there is that much clearance between the bridge and the Plate F cars.
  by bostontrainguy

Looks like about 2 feet to me (about the same as the white excess height stripe).
  by jamoldover

Which makes sense, since it was raised to allow autoracks. It will clear mixed doubles, but not full domestic doubles.
  by QB 52.32

RandallW wrote:Double stack clearances are Plate H (20' 3" vertical clearance), a full 3' 3" higher than Plate F (17' 0" vertical clearance).
Yes, while results may vary, that's exactly where I'm coming from when watching that video, to my eye seeing a decent chance for that 3'3" of clearance and if not, pretty close, using the cars' side hand-holds as a point of reference and toward the perspective of looking up from below as the cars pass under the bridge.

I'm also considering as to possibilities that within the context of earlier overhead clearance needs, soon into the progression ~19'6' clearance projects began including doing ~20'6" where it could be easily accomplished and toward longer term plans.
  by neman2

I agree with QB 52.32 that looks like a solid 4 feet or more above the Plate F cars.
  by F74265A

My recollection is that wml clearance, including the clinton ag branch bridge, was raised to 19 feet six inches when the line was rebuilt circa 1989 when the rax were diverted from the hoosic tunnel onto the B&A/barbers routing. The tunnel would not fit at that time the enclosed auto rax that ford demanded. Until the late 1980s, autos were shipped in open, uncovered rax via the west end to the ford distribution center just east of ayer
  by QB 52.32

That certainly confirms the 19'6", thank you.
  by F74265A

Found an old pan am clearance map

Entire wml is marked plate F+ with 19’6” clearance
  by bostontrainguy

Clinton Bridge.jpg
That bridge looks rather old, does anyone know how they did it? I can't find any info about this project. There doesn't appear to be a dip (grade crossing kind of prevents lowering the tracks), and the bridge structure doesn't seem to be altered in anyway. Did they raise the bridge center support base and abutments and lift the entire structure? They will probably need to replace the span with a new one this time.

There isn't anything obvious regarding what was done when checking out the images on Google Earth. The ROW was two tracks wide way way back though.
Clinton Station.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by F74265A

I saw them working on back then

It appeared to me that they used a combination of raising the bridge (a large crane was brought in to lift it while extensions were added to the supports) and undercutting

No idea what they will do this time
  by QB 52.32

Those public clearance as well as weight limit maps provided by CSX and Pan Am are good sources of information for line or line segment capabilities but, unfortunately, lack the granular details at the level of individual structures and as it relates to immediate or longer-range plans.

In terms of what will be done with that particular bridge lacking at least a foot of overhead clearance depending upon CSX engineering requirements, I'd imagine its capacity would also be considered against probable strategic planning bringing the Fitchburg sub up to 286K from 263K as well likely against other long-range strategic plans that might exist for that area among lines and line segments.

With the WML an immediate first step done for NS along longer-term plans CP-45 Worcester to Mattawamkeag for full overhead clearance, one known detail is that since the mid-90's many states began regulating that minimum capability for any new or refurbished overhead structures. That, for example, provides a known for the more immediate project's CP-45 to Barbers part, shown as 19'6" on the ex-Pan Am public clearance map, when it comes to St V's hospital tunnel built late 1990's and against the older Lincoln Square tunnel(s) that appear to be 19'6". That also likely goes to the ongoing I-495 bridge projects that will probably benefit CSX and as posted spot-on by markhb 4/9 on the infrastructure upgrades thread.
  by newpylong

its too bad the B&M to Fitchburg connector isn't on the westside of the bridge CSX could just remove it and then abandon from Clinton to Marlborough. There isn't any customers south of Clinton until Ken's in Marlborough anyway right? Then again there is the issue of no locals really based out of Worcester...