Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Raritan Express

Sarge wrote:Is there any provision for a connection to the Lex at 125th? I'm guessing with the over-capacity issues on the line, they wouldn't divert any trains down 2nd, and couldn't run any 2nd Av trains up into the Bronx over the line, either.

I was thinking they could extend it along 125th and try to loop it up onto the Broadway line (2,3), but I don't think that really adds anything to the line. If they could tunnel up into the Bronx and into Oak Point, maybe they could run it along two new tracks on the NEC right-of-way (the old NH Harlem / Hell Gate Branch). That would seem to make more sense to me then the plan to run commuter rail along that branch, and could give Co-Op much needed service.
The plan is to have the 125th St station perpendicular and beneath the IRT 125th St station.

by Jeff Smith

Yeah, the left turn at 125th doesn't leave much options, I was hoping they'd curve underneath. Maybe they could do something similar to ESA and bring it up Madison and into the Bronx that way. The best idea, though, is to get it onto the old NH ROW to extend it into the Bronx and Co-Op. I think they'd have to run under what is it, 138th in the Bronx? or 149th to get the transfers.

by Paul1705

Fortunately, there will be a stub at 125th and 2nd Avenue that would allow for an extension to the Bronx - someday, maybe.

The 1960s plan had two options that I know about. One was under 138th Street, the other was through the Harlem River Yards. Both would have connected to the Hew Haven ROW.

by finsuburbia

They are planning on possibly building storage tracks at 125th street that would continue north under 2nd ave rather than swing east on 125st towards the Lex/MN station. These tracks would form the basis for a possibly future extension into the Bronx.

http://www.mta.info/capconstr/sas/docum ... re2-13.pdf

by Jeff Smith

Thanks for the answers. Nice to know they've planned for the future. Maybe Bloomie's congestion plan will utilize this. The linked map shows how close the Harlem R is to 2nd and 125th, I could see an easy connection to the yards across the river (Harlem? Or Oak Point?). I think that's where the old NYW&B terminal was.

The 125th stub could serve as a wye, if you build a northbound connection off the stub. Aren't they doing something similar at GCT to facilitate transfers?

by Paul1705

Yes, that is the Harlem River Yard - and that is generally the area of the former NYW&B terminal.

The 1960s plan considered a subway station in that area; I assume there would have been housing or some other redevelopment around it.

The Regional Plan Association offered another idea: a subway under Willis Avenue and Boston Road to the Morris Park area. But that was only a suggestion; it was never part of the MTA's planning process.

by Wallyhorse

Actually:

One thing they ought to be looking at is building an extention beyond 125th/Lex that would effectively make the SAS double as a 125th street crosstown train. Such an extension Could include stops at 125/Lenox for a transfer to the 2/3 lines and 125th/8th Avenue for both a transfer to the A/B/C/D lines and also a connection to the 8th avenue line at that point, also allowing for a connection to the Concourse line from the SAS as well as allow for SAS trains to go to extreme upper Manhattan. I would have such a crosstown then stop at 125th/Broadway for a connection to the 1 train and then terminate at 125th/12th avenue.

On the downtown end, one thing I would be seriously looking at doing would be to have the SAS after Houston Street join the Nassau/Centre Street lines at The Bowery Station and continue with that line. This would allow the SAS to reach lower Manhattan faster as well as give it an option to Brooklyn at the same time via the Montauge Street tunnel. Such would also provide relief to the 4/5 lines below Brooklyn Bridge on the east side. The latter would be in addition to the scheduled building to Hanover Square.

by Paul1705

Yes, a 125th Street crosstown route would fill a gap in the network that is now covered only by slow busses.

Using the Nassau Street line as an extension of the Second Avenue subway was one of the options examined in the 1990s. The present plans don't call for any kind of track connection.

However, it will be a decade, at least, before any construction is done in Lower Manhattan, so there may be time to revise the plans.

by Wallyhorse

Paul:

The Nassau St. connection is something that should not only be revisited, but be added in addition to any other Manhattan connection for reasons noted.

The 125th Street crosstown makes sense since it would give those who live in extreme upper Manhattan that work on the east side an option for a two, or if an SAS service went on the 8th avenue line after 125th/8th even a one-seat ride.

by paulb

The 125th street crosstown sounds good. The Nassau connection.... That line is so broken down. It would take a lot of work to bring it up to the standard of the SAS. Also, I don't know the alignment. Does it have sharp curves? If so, maybe a new route to Hanover square would be faster and and no more costly than bringing Nassau street up to spec. A transfer between lines would be a different story.

by paulb

Also, I don’t see the service that would be furnished by a Nassau Street connection to the SAS as necessary. The SAS has a planned connection to Brooklyn, via a transfer at Grand Street to service over the Manhattan Bridge. Though not offering the stops at Court and Lawrence streets, that does basically, Brooklyn-wise, what the Nassau Street connection does. I don’t know the history of that Nassau Street line, but it seems to me to be one of the most poorly thought out sections of the subway.

If someone else does know what the Nassau Street line was supposed to be about, it might be a nice theme for a new topic.

by Wallyhorse

Paul:

What the Nassau St. connection does do is allow for the SAS to begin service to lower Manhattan while the last phase of the SAS is being built. After the last segment is built, such a connection to Nassau St. can then be used when needed for re-routes, as well as additional service to Brooklyn via the tunnel during at least rush hours if not at all times.

by paulb

I'm convinced then. There are precedents for temporary connections; long ago the Putnam Bridge connected the Jerome Avenue IRT line to Manhattan while the tube under the Harlem River to Lexington Ave was being built.

by Wallyhorse

And that is a connection I would do anyway:

Having the connection to the Nassau Street line gives you additional flexibily on the SAS, as you can also for instance even after the Hanover Square portion is built have a line run from Broad-125th via Nassau and take serious pressure off the 4/5 in lower Manhattan, while also have when needed a re-route for the Q and perhaps R trains via Montauge Street when such is necessary.

Also, by the time such a connection is built, you also might very well have the M and V lines combined into a single route, with an SAS line replacing the M in Brooklyn via Nassau and the Montauge Street tunnel.

by 35dtmrs92

I definitely would like to see, perhaps, a connection from the 63rd St line to the 60th St bores under the east river. That would enable an Astoria express service, something needed for that area.