• Scrapped Alcos

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

by metman499

I have no pictures but can confirm based on sources that are local to the area. They currently have the RS-3m, C-420, and a new to them RS-11 running.
  by thebigham

Alcoman wrote:I read in Rumorpace recently that the Northhampton Development Group has scrapped both of their S-6 locomotives. Can anyone confirm ? Pictures ?
#101 and #51 were scrapped summer 2007. We found out in Janauary.
  by alcodoc

The 101 and the 51 were in sad shape. Sorry to see them go.The 101 lost the crankshaft and the air compressor. Their new addition is ex-Erie Mining 7210.

Alcodoc
  by thebigham

These too:

LSRC M420W #3575 - scrapped May 2008 in Alpena, MI

LSRC RS11 #1195 - scrapped February 2008 at Rifkin in Saginaw, MI
  by GLC 392

the 698 still looks like that, and the 3575 is baiscally the frame and nose now, for some reason srcapping of the locos was haulted.
  by traingeek8223

In the October issue of Railpace is a picture of Seaview Transportation S4 # 4 being scrapped.
  by thebigham

From the Alco Yahoo Group:

From Jeff Rost an engineer with the Seaview Railroad in Davisville - Quonset Point, Rhode Island. 2 Alcos and 1 GE have been scrapped

SVTX S3 #3 ex B&M 1175

SVTX S4 #4 - ex B&O 9084

GE 80-tonner ex SVTX #1 owned by Steam Associates was also scrapped

Ron Chouinard
  by thebigham

LSRC: M420W #3515
  by traingeek8223

Acording to the December Railpace, the Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum sold its two MRS1's to a company that scrapped them. Apparently the museum intended them to be used and not cut up.
  by Luther Brefo

Gettysburg 70 was scrapped last year (IIRC). Some sources suggest there may be parts of her still around.
  by RS-3

traingeek8223 wrote:the Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum sold its two MRS1's to a company that scrapped them. Apparently the museum intended them to be used and not cut up.
On the plus side the two 244's went to the DL where they certainly be put to good use. (I for one will gladly sacrifice the MRS-1's to keep the DL RS-3 fleet going.)

RS
  by Alcoman

With scrap prices down, we can only hope that there will be less scrapping of Alcos in general.

On another subject, I read that the W&H has had alot of problems with their "newer" GP-9's to the point where at least two of them have required heavy repairs such as engine change outs and replacement of the generators. They have had a motive power shortage as a result. One cannot help to laugh when you realize that the railroad scrapped perfectly good ALCO power for the "junk" that have now. :-D
  by FCP503

Alcoman wrote:One cannot help to laugh when you realize that the railroad scrapped perfectly good ALCO power for the "junk" that have now. :-D
It makes me want to cry! :(
  by Paul

On the plus side the two 244's went to the DL where they certainly be put to good use. (I for one will gladly sacrifice the MRS-1's to keep the DL RS-3 fleet going.)

RS
AND THEN THERE WERE NONE!
So, After scrapping ALL the RSX4s to save the RS-3s, will we miss them one day and announce: "If ONLY WE SAVED ONE"? Hind sight is 20/20.

I hope this doesn't put a bee in your bonnet.
http://psrm.org/gallery/videos/2104_workout.mpg