Railroad Forums 

• Scrapped Alcos

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#610653  by FCP503

Paul wrote: ..."If ONLY WE SAVED ONE"? Hind sight is 20/20.

I hope this doesn't put a bee in your bonnet.
Boy does that ever!!

One example of how EASY it could have been: Southern Pacific owned 211 U33C's. Number preserved: 0. Any number of them could have been bought for scrap value, but it seems that everybody wanted a GP9 instead. Today there are easily ten times as many preserved GP7's and 9's as all of the U series GE's put together. Operable ones? Fewer still. One day in a future time someone will wonder how we could have been so stupid.

Even when a loco is "preserved," frequently one faces an uphill fight. Right now my currant "project" is returning an RSD12 back to operable status. (in between keeping everything else running of course) Just yesterday someone commented that they didn't understand why we wanted to get this unit running. A-bloody-mazing!!

My handle "FCP503" refers to Ferrocarril del Pacifco number 503, an Alco RSD12. The first FCP unit I ever experienced. I'm a confirmed Alco freak, and one can gather that of all types of locomotives the RSD12 is a sentimental favorite. Having seen them in action, kicking cars all day long, hauling some pretty awesome loads for their size I came to form and extreme attatchment to the little beasts. On the FCP and NdeM they were always highly spoken of. "Strong, like donkey!" RSD12's preserved? 4 Number that operate? 1(?)

Still I do understand the need to part out a few to save the many. The old beasts do need parts.
 #783286  by Mr.S

I think The (BSOR and NYLE) BUFFALO SOUTHERN,The LIVONIA AVON and LAKEVILLE and The NEW YORK and LAKE ERIE Railroads also scrapped a few ALCO's as well,after they took replacement -usable- parts out not sure of the date.I think a railroad employee from these railroads could possibly enlighten us .
 #783299  by scottychaos

Mr.S wrote:I think The (BSOR and NYLE) BUFFALO SOUTHERN,The LIVONIA AVON and LAKEVILLE and The NEW YORK and LAKE ERIE Railroads also scrapped a few ALCO's as well,after they took replacement -usable- parts out not sure of the date.I think a railroad employee from these railroads could possibly enlighten us .
LAL has never scrapped a locomotive, in its entire 45 year history..
(although they now have a few "junkers" that probably wont be returned to service, because they are too far gone..so it could happen eventually)
actually, I can only think of one LAL loco that has *ever* been scrapped..the steam loco #17..
LAL themselves didnt technically scrap it..they sold it, then the new owner later sold it for scrap..(that was 40 years ago)

I cant think of any BSOR scrappings..not recently..not within the last 10 years at least..
perhaps some back in their earlier days..

NYLE has one (NYLE 62) that is *nearly* scrapped..parted out to the point that there isnt much left..but not 100% scrapped quite yet:
http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... NYLE62.jpg

GVT scrapped a RS11 in Buffalo last year, and Winters Rigging scrapped several ex- South Buffalo units a few years back..
but no recent scrappings by LAL, BSOR or NYLE..althougth they each have several units that could be considered "on the endangered list"..

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/ny-alcos/

Scot
 #787945  by RonM

Add Grafton and Upton 212 to the list : (
 #788991  by RonM

It's in the New England forum under the Grafton and Upton thread. Photos on railroad.net...
 #792817  by RAHWAY VALLEY

During March a scrap metal dealer scrapped former Canadian Pacific C424 4240 on the Morristown & Erie Ry., in Morristown, NJ :(
CP
 #795371  by MEC407

This RS11 may be scrapped if the owners can't sell or lease it within 60 days:

http://railswap.org/cb/cl/classifieds.c ... =retrieval
 #805990  by thebigham

B&H in Cohocton, NY:

From Railfan.net:

Stopped in Cohocton today to see that M 630 # 2028 is being dismantled.