Railroad Forums 

• Salem Action Alert

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1526348  by steveh

Sometime in the past two weeks the line from First Ave in Peabody, all the way to Rousselot, has been completely brush cut, wide open. Anyone know why?
 #1526350  by highrail

I recall this issue coming up a couple years ago too. My hunch then and likely still a good guess, is that the brush cutting allows access to the overhead power lines in that area you mentioned. I wish it were more than that, like related to service on the line, but unlikely. At the Summit Street crossing there has been a large utility/power pole installed within the right of way sometime within the last few years, so that alone prevents any hope for movement.

Steve
 #1527325  by RenegadeMonster

What's going on at Univar?

I noticed all kinds of demolition and construction equipment yesterday. All the outside tanks have been removed.

The two rail cards also have been pulled out.
 #1533313  by doublebell

7 empties, 5 bone and 2 acid on the tail off Allen's Lane
John, the guy in the blue car with the wing on back
 #1540395  by highrail

I thought it might be fun to post this in this forum. I took this in 1969 after a blizzard in that year. This scene is in Peabody, behind my house on Lynnfield street, south Peabody. To give the viewer some perspective...I am looking west, toward Corwin Street, which is ahead near the smokestacks. The brick building on the right at the smokestack is the only structure that still remains today, and sits abandoned. Remis leather is on the left and you can see a gondola car in the siding. The tank car on the right was for the chemical plant, the name of which eludes me. This line got daily service back then, and it was around this time that the line was extended beyond the brick building to the industrial park.

Steve
Attachments:
(183.93 KiB) Downloaded 2565 times
 #1541033  by doublebell

BO-1 going back home this afternoon. Power is 334 with 6 empty bones and 2 acids.
John, the guy in the blue car with the wing on back
 #1543109  by RenegadeMonster

Does anyone know if there is track work going on in Salem?

For the last week or two virtually every train on the schedule during the day has been sounding their horns. It sounds like south of Castle Hill / the tunnel so I don't think it's a case of a train exiting the tunnel sounding their horn when passing a train waiting to enter the tunnel. It sounds more like in the the Salem Woods / Golf Course area.
 #1543175  by Dave D

when I was driving over the bridge on Jefferson st, I saw some sort of yellow maintenance equipment on the track leading into the old freight yard. Chances are that is why your hearing horns.
 #1543423  by b&m 1566

Two years ago(?) the state awarded money to help improve efficiency on this branch. IIRC, they were supposed to increase storage capacity in or near Rousselot, allowing for longer trains and help reduce the frequency of trains. Whatever happened to that project? I haven't heard anything since that announcement.
 #1545865  by Trinnau

b&m 1566 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:16 pm Two years ago(?) the state awarded money to help improve efficiency on this branch. IIRC, they were supposed to increase storage capacity in or near Rousselot, allowing for longer trains and help reduce the frequency of trains. Whatever happened to that project? I haven't heard anything since that announcement.
This was so Rousselot could get more cars at the same service frequency because Pan Am couldn't deliver as frequently as Rousselot wanted. Rousselot also wanted to move the acid back to rail shipment which meant more cars delivered per trip by default. So the work also brought the line into Class 1 track standards so acid could resume delivery by rail. This work was completed a few years ago.
 #1546402  by RenegadeMonster

Interesting news. The Castle Hill Yard is going to be restored and electrified for MBTA train set storage.

It's looking like this project will be taking place 2026-2030 along with the electrification of the Eastern Railroad from North Station to Beverly. The Salem tunnel may also be expanded to 2 tracks
 #1546625  by CRail

That is a pitch by an independent think tank with no affiliation to the Commonwealth or any of its agencies. There are no such plans in place at this time.