Railroad Forums 

• Salem Action Alert

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1503427  by FatNoah

Not sure if it's specifically Salem related or not, but I saw a PAR loco (couldn't catch the number from the Orange Line) working on a consist of about 24 cars behind BET this AM. Consist looked like a few reefers, lots of scrap gondolas, and several covered hoppers. There was also a tank car parked at the end of the siding near Sullivan station.

I don't remember the last time I saw that many freight cars in that area.
 #1503428  by highrail

I recall seeing that before in that area. I think someone posted a while back that area was about the only location where PanAm could gather/store cars before heading out. I recall seeing a long line of empties coming out of Salem and the next day I saw them spotted at that location that you saw. Pretty amazing when you think of how much space they used to have in the Boston yards.

Steve
 #1504233  by BostonUrbEx

I believe those were MBTA MOW flatcars. As to when they pulled them out or where they went, I do not know.
 #1504281  by RenegadeMonster

Makes since they might have been MBTA owned. They looked like former Boston & Maine Cars and appeared to have not been moved in years.

The brush was growing into the cars so it looks like they had to do some clearing to get them out. The wood decks on them were in rough shape so I wonder if they were scrapped or sent for rehab. It could be they just wanted to get them off the bridge they were partially over as well.
 #1504335  by BostonUrbEx

That may have to do with an upcoming bridge replacement. I'm not sure which one it was, but I think it was Commercial St. I wouldn't think they'd be in the way of a Commercial St replacement, but I don't know what the project phases are, perhaps they need to realign the mainline temporarily.
 #1505335  by highrail

I noticed that the old California Olive Oil place on Canal Street in Salem has been torn down. I guess there were no takers for the building with an active siding. I recall that they had positioned a couple different cars there just to show that it was active.
 #1506881  by highrail

I was able to catch the Peabody bound train today about noon at Flint street. I was surprised to see the crossing signals operating...had thought they were out of service . 6 loads headed toward Peabody: 4 bones and 2 acids.